UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Grad Transfers

Pete Dougherty had an interesting story about grad transfers in today's TU - https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Graduate-transfer-rule-may-be-hurting-UAlbany-13729315.php

Coach Brown talked about how some coaches don't want to redshirt players anymore because they're afraid they'll lose them to grad transfer. Also, about how the Aussies are on pace to graduate early.

Good article. IMHO the transfer rules have always been two lenient and continue to get more so. While the rules are intended to emphasize the student in student athlete, the abuses of the rule are so wide spread that he intent becomes meaningless. The rules end up doing the exact opposite-- emphasize athlete over student. A couple of examples from the article {and I'm sure there are many more examples how the ncaa intent is contradicted by reality.}:  Only 1/3 of graduate transfers receive a graduate degree. And if you were to analyze this number further of the 1/3 who DO get a graduate degree, a significant number may ultimately be getting their graduate degree from a different institution completely. Secondly, if siting a year in some sorts is required, why not in all sports. Are not ALL intercollegiate sports created EQUALL?? 

Anyhow, sorry about the rant and please ignore if so desired; but I do recommend the article DP linked. Even though Benson sounded like an idiot {rant material for another thread and time.}

I like the grad transfer rule. Get a degree, then transfer. Don't get a degree, honor your contract (free school in exchange for playing a sport) or be forced to sit a year. Do what's best for you. Kids that walk on are allowed to transfer without sitting a year (like Flory) as they didn't have a contract: they didn't receive a contract with the benefit of free school.

I'm curious, and I don't know the rule. Someone clarify for me if you know: 

If the 3 Australians graduate in 3 years, after redshirting, could they theoretically transfer after next season then have 2 years of eligibility at their new school? Something tells me that Cam would be a hot commodity after next season with 2 years of eligibility left.

If this is going to become more and more prevalent, and I'm Will Brown, I'm recruiting heavily the highest level prospects that live in NYS and come from families that would qualify for the NYS free tuition and convince them to walk-on. Create a mid-major one and done program. Guys that would come in to the league as an instant POY candidate in the AE, but might sit in year 1 at a Duke. Then transfer up to wherever they want to go. If their freshman year doesn't work out they can always stay for year 2, get free tuition again, then transfer.

9 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I like the grad transfer rule. Get a degree, then transfer. Don't get a degree, honor your contract (free school in exchange for playing a sport) or be forced to sit a year. Do what's best for you. Kids that walk on are allowed to transfer without sitting a year (like Flory) as they didn't have a contract: they didn't receive a contract with the benefit of free school.

I basically see this rule as a way for power conferences to stock their rosters with experienced mid-major players. Maybe I'm just cynical.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I like the grad transfer rule. Get a degree, then transfer.

The problem with transfer "rules" whether it be grad transfers or other is, while the intent is good and just, the reality is quite different. Without getting onto my soap box, the reality is the rules only help a limited # of student/athletes and only help power conferences. The article referenced less than 1/3 ever do get a graduate degree from the school they transfer into. Also, the basic sit year rule is no longer an ncaa rule but SPORT and CONFERENCE specific. In other words the only players who actually have to sit a year are players moving within "power conferences & power sports." The good intent to give all players rights and flexibility, has become a source of recruiting and protection for the powers ONLY.

• Like 1