UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Old News, Interesting Twist-Facilities

This article is pretty cool...discusses much of what we already know. What is interesting however, is that some projects will be started immediately (my guess lax/fieldhockey field).

Further interesting is a side note about "additions to the Recreation and Convocation Center."

Ok...all speculation, but that would probably be the last project underaken w/ the funds. What could they possibly add? There is no room to build either on the North (entrance), east (soccer field), and west (circle area) sides. The south side needs to stay a parking lot. The north could be touched if the old gym comes down w/ the new football stadium...unlikely. Now, of course, all speculation, but the building WAS built w/ the ability to be expanded straight up (upwards of 2500-3000 seats. I HIGHLY doubt we need that (now or ever), but what the heck else could they possibily be talking about?!

The only other thought is a connecter building, ripping the bubble down on the east side, building a connector housiing the new student gym and an indoor football, baseball, blah, blah, facility. THAT...I think may happen.

Thoughts?

http://www.bizjournals.com/industries/spor...any_story8.html

I believe they will connect the two existing buildings making a larger lobby area which would give us more concession space something similar to Stony Brooks lobby, provide more office space and an give the RACC increased bathroom areas.

Right now the space between the two buildings is a wasted and acts as a brutally cold wind tunnel in the winter. It would cut the outside walking distance considerably from both parking area.

If something was done with the area we might be able to actually entice an AE Tiurney to the RACC.

Further interesting is a side note about "additions to the Recreation and Convocation Center."

Ok...all speculation, but that would probably be the last project underaken w/ the funds.  What could they possibly add?  There is no room to build either on the North (entrance), east (soccer field), and west (circle area) sides.  The  south side needs to stay a parking lot.  The north could be touched if the old gym comes down w/ the new football stadium...unlikely.

The only other thought is a connecter building, ripping the bubble down on the east side, building a connector housiing the new student gym and an indoor football, baseball, blah, blah, facility. 

The RACC could be doubled eastward and still extend only as far as the end of the bubble. Traffic patterns for the circle could be reworked. I hope some of the space is used for an entrance to the RACC from the parking lot.

The Bubble itself is a temporary structure with a material lifespan of 8-12 years, and could be replaced with a multi-story building

In an early interview, Sasaki said that contrary to common opinion, they actually see a lot of usable space available. Let's see how smart they are.

A disappointment is the report not being finished until August, now.

When the RACC was finished there was some talk that it had been designed with the idea of future expansion. I believe the idea was that space could be used on the west, east and south sides. One thing that has been discussed is building a parking ramp on the existing parking lot and attaching it to a new lobby area on the south side of the RACC. The south lobby would not have to be as big as on the north side, enough room for ticket windows, an entrance area and hopefully another set of restrooms. It makes sense that this would be a good (fan friendly) first step. Then additions on the west and east sides could be added later. After a football stadium, I hope.

The football stadium is the 1st thing on McElroy's agenda. He wants scholarship football so badly he can taste it. It would be the second time he has done this in his career. This way he can market himself to bigger Universities after the move up to scholarship football.

That's actually a really old article (April 2).

I have heard other semi-solid things from the mouths of some people in the department and the plans are further along than this article makes it seem.

Also, this article says that the report will be done in August, but I think that is simply a logistical matter. I have actually overhead some people talking about seeing plans already. Of course overhearing things in the RACC and PE Building isn't the greatest source of information, but some of what I heard sounded legit and detailed, so I have to believe it.

I would be more interetsed in an article about the fundraising at UAlbany. It does nothing to put forth grand plans without some sort of fundraising already in place. The article quotes a UAlbany official, Mr. Coe, as saying that if there are viable plans they can start a fundraising campaign. I agree that would make it an easier sell, i.e. here is a visual of what we are trying to do ... but I think that they need to start now with a full-court press on the fundraising, even before a solid design is finished.

Piggyback off the quarter-million dollar donation that the Lacrosse alum gave to kick-start that field ... and use that as a benchmark donation in a larger fundraising scheme. To present plans and THEN say ok, give us some money, people are going to look at us and laugh. But if you come at them with $100 million plans and $5 million (about half of one-year's cost if it is a 10-year plan) in the bank right from the get-go, then you're not looking so foolish.