UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Where Do We Go From Here? Negativity Inside

Where do we go from here? For those who are living under a rock...UA BB (both MBB and WBB) is said rock.

There is not a single player I'm dying to have back next year. Even Healey...he's a one trick pony. If he's not hitting shots, he's completely useless as a basketball player. Not a great passer (TO galore), not a great defender (repeatedly gets beats by his man or doesn't close out), can't dribble (I honestly might have a better chance of bringing up the basketball in a D1 game against a press and I'm 32 with a gut), lucks into rebounds. Literally everyone should be 100% recruited over and told that their job is FAR from safe.

After all the hubub about our great foundation and youth last year...we got a whopping 2 game win improvement from said group. Inexcusable.

2020-03-03-20-38-30-UAlbany-Basketball-S

2020-03-03-20-42-07-UAlbany-Basketball-S

Edited by Eli

healy is an excellent sophomore in the america east. He has been injured and sick, you have to be kidding man. Its not always sunshine and rainbows they have another year to sort it out. Healy is awesome and definitely not judging a player on five games man! Bad years happen.. healy will be fine long term .

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Bball2020 said:

healy is an excellent sophomore in the america east. He has been injured and sick, you have to be kidding man. Its not always sunshine and rainbows they have another year to sort it out. Healy is awesome and definitely not judging a player on five games man! Bad years happen.. healy will be fine long term .

Judging a player on 5 games? Who's doing that?

Turnovers:

• 11/9/19 vs Lehigh: 4
  • 11/23/19 vs Sacred Heart: 4
  • 12/4/19 vs Yale: 4
  • 12/7/19 @ Bucknell: 5
  • 1/25/20 vs Hartford: 6
  • 2/20/20 vs UMBC: 4
  • + 11 other games where he had 3
  • So in 17 of our 31 games, he has had more than 3 turnovers

His assist (2.3) to turnover (2.5) ratio is negative. That's not good for a guy who masquerades as the PG for decent chunks of games. Don't blame it on his usage rate either. That's a cop out. I was actually one of the few folks who said that we should offload PG from Clark to Healey full-time before the conference season started and now I feel like that was an absolutely idiotic idea and I'm ashamed for having suggested it. I got ridiculed for it and rightly so. As much as I can't wait to see Clark no longer in a UA jersey (1 game left, woot!), I'd MUCH rather him bring the ball up the court than Healey.

As for his defense...did you see the play in the UVM game tonight with like 5 minutes left in the 1st half where they found Duncan in the corner for a wide open 3 because Healey was inexplicably under the basket a mile away? What did he do? He didn't run out hard and try to recover...he gave up cause he knew he was cooked. Duncan banged in a 3 and that's when the deficit started to exponentially grow in the first half. That's Healey most games.

I too hope he'll be fine 'long term'...but long term is getting kind of short considering he's now 50% done with his career. It's not like he barely played as a freshmen...he played a lot (he averaged 4 more minutes per game last year, actually). High usage sophomores like him should not be playing the way they are...they aren't new to this.

Edited by Eli

I dont know man i can understand your frustration and respect your opinion but he can shoot and score it, going through a rough patch but long term i love him. Hes a sophomore. I think any team at the low level division one would tale him if he transferred. Once clark leaves and the ball movement comes back who knows, i dont think hes bad at all i think hes on track to be a star despite the recent struggles. He will never be a good defender but can really score it when in rhythm. Desousa , hank and lulka i will say have completely disappointed this year. Not even sure if the big guy stays next year who knows

2 minutes ago, Eli said:

That's not good for a guy who masquerades as the PG for decent chunks of games. Don't blame it on his usage rate either. 

I'm not smart enough to know what "useage rate" is but Healy doesn't masquerade as a PG. He's a really good shooting guard (when healthy) who was forced into playing the point by circumstances beyond his control (there was no other PG for most of the year.)

1 minute ago, Dane Pound said:

I'm not smart enough to know what "useage rate" is but Healy doesn't masquerade as a PG. He's a really good shooting guard (when healthy) who was forced into playing the point by circumstances beyond his control (there was no other PG for most of the year.)

Brown has tried De Sousa up the court, Clark, Healey...I see where you're coming from. I think the team did best when for a limited time, JoJo was involved. It allowed Clark and Healey or others to play shooting guard and I think the team did better overall.

However, on the flip side, we saw no improvement from Healey when it came to ball handling all year. What was he working on in practice all year? He knew he was going to have the ball in his hands due to the injuries on the team...

I'm all in on the negativity right now. Some might say I'm back with a vengeance.

Haha i hear you, bottom line big off season. Browns delivered before, can he do it again- also , will he get a one year legacy offer? I personally think he deserves as a legacy to have one more year tabbed on . If goes four bad years your out, no way next coach has been to five ncaas as a head man!

10 minutes ago, Eli said:

Brown has tried De Sousa up the court, Clark, Healey...I see where you're coming from. I think the team did best when for a limited time, JoJo was involved. It allowed Clark and Healey or others to play shooting guard and I think the team did better overall.

I understand the negativity. I don't think anyone's happy with the way this year turned out.

At the beginning of the year, I thought we had too many spot-up shooters - Healy, Rizzuto, Hutch and Sam Schaefer. Had Jojo Anderson been healthy, maybe we would have gotten away with it but we didn't. I just don't see blaming that on Healy for not being a PG when that's not really his game. He was forced into a role that wasn't his strength and was still having a terrific season until the injury during the Bing game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Umbc lost to binghamton then maine after besting us and vermont- you prolly think odom should be canned and team gutted right? What a fall out from the sweet 16 days of umbc, i think outside of injuries ua will have it figured out by conference play next year. I personally will not miss clark- wayyy too sporatic and turnover prone, this year with injuries and underperforming returners we needed him.

13 minutes ago, Bball2020 said:

Umbc lost to binghamton then maine after besting us and vermont- you prolly think odom should be canned and team gutted right? What a fall out from the sweet 16 days of umbc, i think outside of injuries ua will have it figured out by conference play next year. I personally will not miss clark- wayyy too sporatic and turnover prone, this year with injuries and underperforming returners we needed him.

UMBC never made it to sweet 16

10 minutes ago, Bball2020 said:

They never made to the sweet 16. Proves my point that I’d rather have a dominant regular season team with sustained success and never going to the tournament. A la Stony Brook. Look how many failed opportunities they’ve had in winning the America East tournament and only went once. Which programs in better shape?!!! 

21 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

I understand the negativity. I don't think anyone's happy with the way this year turned out.

At the beginning of the year, I thought we had too many spot-up shooters - Healy, Rizzuto, Hutch and Sam Schaefer. Had Jojo Anderson been healthy, maybe we would have gotten away with it but we didn't. I just don't see blaming that on Healy for not being a PG when that's not really his game. He was forced into a role that wasn't his strength and was still having a terrific season until the injury during the Bing game.

Healy is excellent for running off screens all day... That should be his role. It's not his fault there was no pg on the roster. Honestly he is the only kid I'm not worried about. You don't shoot like he did for almost 2 years and forget to shoot. I'm scared $ienaless for the rest of the returning roster. With that in mind I would recruit like hell over every single one of them. Deeply disappointed in DeSousa rizzuto and lulka. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

As for where you go from here... You tell every kid.. Hey you had your chance. We're gonna go load up on all the mercenaries we can get and if that hurts your feelings or sensibilities... You should have played better. Sorry not sorry! 

BTW, my fear is we will overload on pg next year. Amica is one... There will be more including grad transfer options. I got a feeling ball handling won't be an issue again for a while. I've also heard Jojo prognosis is very very good. We'll see. 

Now is the time to pray for wings and bigs. Because there is ZERO upfront for next year. 

Edited by Clickclack