UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Saturday's are not the same....

What are people doing on what would have been game day Saturday?   

This autumn on Saturdays are just sad without Casey Stadium, drinking beer in the parking lot, cheering the team on.  There were some great teams playing at Casey Stadium this fall.  Only so much "Yes dear that tree is colorful" or "That is the perfect pumpkin or gourd? ... I now have more types of pumpkin and gourds ever....

23 hours ago, cwdickens said:

What are people doing on what would have been game day Saturday?   

This autumn on Saturdays are just sad without Casey Stadium, drinking beer in the parking lot, cheering the team on.  There were some great teams playing at Casey Stadium this fall.  Only so much "Yes dear that tree is colorful" or "That is the perfect pumpkin or gourd? ... I now have more types of pumpkin and gourds ever....

Made me laugh....agree...

I stopped watching all sports.  When athletic events turned into political rallies I was done.  I also stopped all donations to my alma mater.

I spend my Saturdays with my young kids.  TV is limited to my kids shows.  I’ve taken to day trading as a hobby.  This is my first time back to BPF site in months.

I watch a little college action and the Giants games, but that’s pretty much it. Without the crowds it really loses its appeal for some reason. When the kneeling started a few years back I pretty much stopped watching for a while and with the politics and protests shoved in your face I’ve not returned. Broke the habit. Didn’t watch a single minute of the NBA. I think I watched maybe 5 min of a baseball game to see what it was like with no fans. I read, watch other stuff on TV, do house chores, walk. It begs the question of what big changes are coming or will stay in place when this pandemic is over. There’s a revolution coming in the way education is done, office space is required, healthcare delivered, sports are played and on and on. Cities may never come back to where they once were. Maybe they will. Hard to tell. 

58 minutes ago, jimbo said:

I watch a little college action and the Giants games, but that’s pretty much it. Without the crowds it really loses its appeal for some reason. When the kneeling started a few years back I pretty much stopped watching for a while and with the politics and protests shoved in your face I’ve not returned. Broke the habit. Didn’t watch a single minute of the NBA. I think I watched maybe 5 min of a baseball game to see what it was like with no fans. I read, watch other stuff on TV, do house chores, walk. It begs the question of what big changes are coming or will stay in place when this pandemic is over. There’s a revolution coming in the way education is done, office space is required, healthcare delivered, sports are played and on and on. Cities may never come back to where they once were. Maybe they will. Hard to tell. 

Yes life is different...sometimes an occurrence like COVID-19 evolves changes never anticipated.... however sometimes those changes do not pan out and what was discarded becomes new and innovative .....  Our cities have raised and fall in the past... cities will raise again.. I hoping in what is left in my time here... I am recently retired .... so I am dealing with changes .... one day at a time.

October 31, 2020....Saturday....yes, I am thinking despite the cold temps...the sun is shining brightly....properly dressed and the right amount of beer ... who cares .... UAlbany is playing Delaware.... nope not today...instead...I hit lawn using the lawn mower to vacuum up the leaves....discussed with arborist about taking down an older pine tree....learned I am the proud property owner of a Native Elm Tree....nurse maid a yellow crowned sparrow that decided to take on the sliding glass door ...yes...after resting for a few minutes the bird flew off...few other things were accomplished.  My point with this gerbish...life goes on without sports....however you know something is missing..

Edited by cwdickens
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little "tongue in check", the Golden Apple Trophy Game originally scheduled for November 21, 2020, is now scheduled for March 27, 2021.  I can only hope the forecast for 03-27-2021 is as good as now currently forecast for 11-21-2020.  I always enjoyed when the last game of the season fell on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and the game is at home.  This football game seemed to signal the start of the holiday season for me.

Edited by cwdickens
clarification

This lack of sports during weeknights or on Saturdays has kind of let me get a feel for what life would be like if I was to move South. Last 3-4 weeks I've really been thinking about it more (it has always been 'on the list' but I never pulled the trigger when I was younger...and then I got married).

This break in UA sports is killin me.

Today I watched most of Buffalo vs Kent St...both 3-0. They scored a total of 111 pts in a regulation game with UB coming out on top 70-41. Defense was nowhere to be found. Their star running back, Jaret Patterson, scored 8 rushing TDs and put up 409 yds on the ground! The first tied an FBS record and the second was second all time. Very entertaining game. 

3 hours ago, jimbo said:

Today I watched most of Buffalo vs Kent St...both 3-0. They scored a total of 111 pts in a regulation game with UB coming out on top 70-41. Defense was nowhere to be found. Their star running back, Jaret Patterson, scored 8 rushing TDs and put up 409 yds on the ground! The first tied an FBS record and the second was second all time. Very entertaining game. 

Watched Penn St and Michigan followed by Clemson and Pitt...first time this autumn that I watched that much football...yeah did other things around the house...kept I eye on a doe and fawn as they napped on the hill behind my home...now that's entertainment...yes there was alot of buzz about Buffalo and Kent St later in the afternoon

• 1 month later...

I didn't know where to put this, and I wasn't sure it wasn't posted somewhere already (no returns on searched items), but St. Francis decided to formally cancel all of the Fall 2020 sports seasons that were re-scheduled for Spring 2021.

https://sfuathletics.com/news/2021/1/7/inside-athletics-university-announces-decision-on-fall-sports-competition.aspx

I'm still waiting on some updates for the UA soccer teams, so announcements like this make me jittery.

Some of their talent has to be available, and their QB is looking to jump to BCS:

https://247sports.com/Article/Jason-Brown-transfer-portal-Saint-Francis-football-Virginia-Tech-Arkansas-State-159058337/

Pre-Undercuffler this would have been a great opportunity to convince him to play this spring with a former conference opponent.

For those looking to spice up their watching of Saturday's UAlbany MBB game may I suggest the following take-out special from Brown's Brewery, Troy location:

WINGS & BEERS (takeout only)
two dozen grilled wings, sauce of your choice, Oktoberfest lager 6-pack 25

WING SAUCES

mild
medium
hot
bourbon
garlic parmesan
Brown's Cherry Razz bbq
roasted garlic honey chipotle
pineapple habanero

WING SAUCE OF THE WEEK

Carrie’s Sassy Sauce (mix of medium & BBQ)