UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

No longer have any skin in the game, but this was passed on to me.

Looks like two opportunities to see the team in Albany this fall.

October 15th is the alumni game, and I understand there will be some sort of ceremony for the graduating classes which were disrupted because of the virus. I think I may make it to that for sure to see some of the guys. Then on the 23rd will be the fall ball scrimmages. I was told the indoor field out by the airport, but that seems odd, but maybe the other facilities are booked.

Full Fall Ball schedule posted on Inside Lacrosse:

Oct. 23 

— At Fairfield: Fairfield, Holy Cross and Manhattan (M) 

— At Ohio State:  Central Michigan, Cincinnati, Kent State, Niagara, Ohio State and Pitt (W) 

— HEADstrong Men’s Colleluori Classic at Grove City: Cleveland State, Grove City and Seton Hill (M) 

—  At UAlbany: Boston U, Marist, Vermont and UAlbany (M) 

Interesting Headstong Classic 10/17; UA has NOT been invited since we hosted (3or4 years ago) and IMHO Benson botched the thing by not allowing Casey or Fallon use.{Just Saying}

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A quick rant now that I can.

For Pete's sake update the roster. I know it is a little thing, but speaks volumes about the program and selling the program. I looked at a ton of rosters and of the top 30-40 teams Albany is the only program with no updates.

STOP living in the past. Just about every bit of social media is about former players. Great to honor them because it was a great run to be part of, but time to move forward an focus on making the current roster better rather than dwelling on the past.

Rant off

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

A quick rant now that I can.

For Pete's sake update the roster. I know it is a little thing, but speaks volumes about the program and selling the program. I looked at a ton of rosters and of the top 30-40 teams Albany is the only program with no updates.

STOP living in the past. Just about every bit of social media is about former players. Great to honor them because it was a great run to be part of, but time to move forward an focus on making the current roster better rather than dwelling on the past.

Rant off

You are ranting to the wrong people, many threads within the BigPurpleFans forum about the dysfunctional UAlbany Sports Administration .... Focus for lacrosse on Social Media, has been on Trey, Blaze and Miles.... In part to our relationship with the PLL.... In addition lots of interest about one Great Dane in the NFL on the forum... Hope you are feeling better... If not why not email Scott Marr directly...actually one of the few who will respond

21 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Agree 1000% RANT ON😖!  Another of my pet peeves and I have plenty with this administration. Marketing, Communication and Promotion awful in all sports. About the only thing they do consistently is ASK for money. With the new ticketing program, they do not even do that well. {I paid for basketball without having to make my GDAC seat payment--I'll let them sweat awhile before letting them know I owe🥲.}

Edited by dslyank
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, cwdickens said:

You are ranting to the wrong people, many threads within the BigPurpleFans forum about the dysfunctional UAlbany Sports Administration .... Focus for lacrosse on Social Media, has been on Trey, Blaze and Miles.... In part to our relationship with the PLL.... In addition lots of interest about one Great Dane in the NFL on the forum... Hope you are feeling better... If not why not email Scott Marr directly...actually one of the few who will respond

When you are the parent of a kid in the program while they are playing there really isn't room to say anything even if it is well intentioned. You would be surprised even at this level how many parents in one way or another politic, but I don't think it ever swayed any of the coaches.

After we were done I did share some comments. Scott is always very pleasant, and genuinely a good person, but as a mid major sort of program Albany has to work harder and do it better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2021 at 12:25 PM, AlbanyFan2018 said:

For Pete's sake update the roster. I know it is a little thing, but speaks volumes about the program and selling the program. I looked at a ton of rosters and of the top 30-40 teams

2022 Roster NOW up. Looks like stocking up on middies?  Reading Bios, no one stood out as a "future star" {maybe Winky-Wade?}.  Interested in your comments, seems you have/know more incites on recruits? Interesting, brought in another grad transfer goalie? Seems we could use HELP on defense; but I did not notice much there?? Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by dslyank
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dslyank said:

2022 Roster NOW up. Looks like stocking up on middies?  Reading Bios, no one stood out as a "future star" {maybe Winky-Wade?}.  Interested in your comments, seems you have/know more incites on recruits? Interesting, brought in another grad transfer goalie? Seems we could use HELP on defense; but I did not notice much there?? Hope I'm wrong.

Good to finally see the roster up. I haven't seen as much club lacrosse, but know some of the guys from high school. I think it is a solid group, and I personally like the big class of middies. IMO post Osika, McClancy the midfielders as a group have been the weaker link. You have to have studs in the middle of the field to not only provide a scoring punch, but to allow the poles to play defense. One of the things that has confounded me for years has been the slide package. Going back to when Perla played the middle and the last two years or so with Kunz, the pole in the middle was sliding like crazy and IMO creating offense more times than not for the opposing team. 

I thought the poles as a group were actually solid, but the breakdowns happened at middle, usually with smaller guys who just couldn't match up against the elite teams we would face in the NCAA's. It was rare to see a pole actually get beat, of course it did happen, but to me it was what the poles were being asked to do, and middies getting beat on alley dodges which then forced the poles to slide.

I don't know anything about the transfer goalie, but I always have liked Ramos and thought he got a bum deal when he was thrown in during big games and under the circumstances did well. I hope he earns the starting job, and gets to play a full season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2021 at 12:14 PM, dslyank said:

2018. As always, thanks for your insights and assessments. Have you heard any more about the alumni scrimmage? Is it still this Friday, and time/place??

Nothing new to report from the original info I received that it is Friday 8:00pm at Fallon. I haven't seen anything on social media or on the UAlbany web site promoting the game.

I went to the alumni scrimmage last night. Not much gained to report. Played in a downpour mostly and players wore different numbers than the roster indicated and some #s used for multiple players. First observation #6 Regan Enders won every face-off he took--obviously he is definitely an upgrade over previous Danes at the X. #36 also took some face-offs but with mixed results. Will Ramos was introduced with the graduated seniors from the covid years in the pre-game ceremony . Scott gave a nice speech & introductions; but could't the university provided him a mike?? Only younger goalies used; Ramos did not play at all, plus being introduced with the graduated seniors--not sure what that means for this year??

NO DEFENSE was played what-so-ever which is pretty typical in a game like this.[at least no-one was needlessly sliding.]  Passing was perhaps the worse I've ever seen--which is/was expected from the alumni; but even this early, is a little unsettling from the regulars. Offensively, #23 or maybe 24 nailed a couple really long range shots and #0 Pessemeti (I think) had some nice goals. Hogg & Tucker each had at least one. Did not see Yunker at all; not even sure he suited; but with number switching hard to tell.

Scott did mention next weekends Fall Ball tournament. Boton U, Marist & Vermont I think; but did NOT offer any info on TIMES & PLACE??

Anyone else there last night want to ADD/DISAGREE/WHATEVER greatly appreciated!

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1