UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

On 10/16/2021 at 9:58 AM, dslyank said:

I went to the alumni scrimmage last night. Not much gained to report. Played in a downpour mostly and players wore different numbers than the roster indicated and some #s used for multiple players. First observation #6 Regan Enders won every face-off he took--obviously he is definitely an upgrade over previous Danes at the X. #36 also took some face-offs but with mixed results. Will Ramos was introduced with the graduated seniors from the covid years in the pre-game ceremony . Scott gave a nice speech & introductions; but could't the university provided him a mike?? Only younger goalies used; Ramos did not play at all, plus being introduced with the graduated seniors--not sure what that means for this year??

NO DEFENSE was played what-so-ever which is pretty typical in a game like this.[at least no-one was needlessly sliding.]  Passing was perhaps the worse I've ever seen--which is/was expected from the alumni; but even this early, is a little unsettling from the regulars. Offensively, #23 or maybe 24 nailed a couple really long range shots and #0 Pessemeti (I think) had some nice goals. Hogg & Tucker each had at least one. Did not see Yunker at all; not even sure he suited; but with number switching hard to tell.

Scott did mention next weekends Fall Ball tournament. Boton U, Marist & Vermont I think; but did NOT offer any info on TIMES & PLACE??

Anyone else there last night want to ADD/DISAGREE/WHATEVER greatly appreciated!

The games are scheduled at 12:30pm and 3pm at the indoor facility out by the airport. I don't know the order of who we play, but that is the latest I heard from one of the current parents.

On 10/21/2021 at 10:11 AM, cwdickens said:

I have sent an email directly to Scott Marr, last evening for confirmation/ no response yet....no surprise at indoor facility to avoid weather issues

I have not received a response to my email...perhaps my email went to the Junk folder....

Lifted from an Instagram posting earlier this evening: 

Tomorrow afternoon, your UAlbany Great Danes will face off in two Fall scrimmages - 12:30pm vs Boston University, and 3:00pm vs Marist. We will be playing for our man JP Honsinger, and his battle with the rare disease Niemann Pick Type C. We also will be honoring the Native American victims involved in the tragedies that occurred in residential schools, and their cause - Every Child Matters. Thank you for all your support and we can’t wait for the opportunity to suit up against someone else tomorrow. Be the best, and go Danes!

Games were played @ turf fields outdoor @ Afrims. Game 1 UA vs BU.  Side by side was Vermont vs Marist. In game 1 UA fell behind immediately 0-5; but got going and qtr scores were 3-5, 4-3, 6-3, 3-5; for a 16-16 tie. I actually had the score 18-17 UA. In game 2 UA again immediately fell behind by 4 and lost by that exact amount to Marist—2-5, 5-3, 3-5, 1-2 =11-15.  UA did use a lot of 2nd & 3rd string in game 2. Also, gave up 3 straight goals in the 3rd period because of 2 straight 30sec face off penalties.

On the other field Vermont beat Marist 18-7 I think. And then BU beat Vermont by 3 or 4 I think. 

Will write some comments & highlights tomorrow and hopefully others @ the game will also!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

Games were played @ turf fields outdoor @ Afrims. Game 1 UA vs BU.  Side by side was Vermont vs Marist. In game 1 UA fell behind immediately 0-5; but got going and qtr scores were 3-5, 4-3, 6-3, 3-5; for a 16-16 tie. I actually had the score 18-17 UA. In game 2 UA again immediately fell behind by 4 and lost by that exact amount to Marist—2-5, 5-3, 3-5, 1-2 =11-15.  UA did use a lot of 2nd & 3rd string in game 2. Also, gave up 3 straight goals in the 3rd period because of 2 straight 30sec face off penalties.

On the other field Vermont beat Marist 18-7 I think. And then BU beat Vermont by 3 or 4 I think. 

Will write some comments & highlights tomorrow and hopefully others @ the game will also!

Thanks, I had to fly down to Atlanta at the last minute so couldn't make it. You can never tell too much from these fall games since teams are trying to look at different things, and there were always surprises in the depth chart when they start back up in the new year.

Actually overall I thought UA played pretty well. Offense will be as good or better than ever {final four year excluded.} Defense as usual will be the BIG question mark????????Ramos looked good after his slow start; even spectacular @ times. Two or three others used, all made some tough saves and tough to tell if goals allowed were their faults or not. But other than Ramos, all the goalies seemed to have issue with their clearing passing. 

BU was a monster of a team and when I commented they had to out weigh us 20 lbs per man, a father I was sitting next to said maybe 30. This initially caused some issues with UA's clearing game; but when UA stoped trying to run threw & over them, UA was much more successful. UA was definitely superior to BU, passing, making plays and finishing. BU scoring was a lot of one on one and brute force.

Like last weeks alumnae game, UA seemed to be making a conscious effort to NOT slide defensively. I am sure this caused some goals in both games; I am NO expert but I think working on sliding less or at least when to and when not too will benefit UA's defense in the long run.

Regan looked very good at the X; except he appeared to be favoring a leg a couple of time running off the field [looked like cramping maybe]; but one point he had to helped off with looked like a knee injury {but he did return later.} #27 & 36 both took a lot of FO's with mixed results. 27 appears very quick but is small and gets beat up physically and had numerous face-off faults (maybe he is too quick for the officials?) As mentioned in my other posts he had back to back 30 second penalties in the second game.

The starting attack and second attack if you will were awesome. The midfield seems deep with a lot of weapons; some issues with clearing; but once on offense they can score and pass. #22 Jacob Moran was very impressive, as were a number of other of the new middies. Did not see Peter Salit at all who often started last year. The real question can any of the middies play defense and help the in-close guys who appear in need of a lot of HELP.

#41 Winky-Wade a 6'5" attack might be fun to watch. Don't think he played much early; but in the second game they were feeding him high [almost like Ali-ops in BB]; he fanned on a couple but also nailed a couple in.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Actually overall I thought UA played pretty well. Offense will be as good or better than ever {final four year excluded.} Defense as usual will be the BIG question mark????????Ramos looked good after his slow start; even spectacular @ times. Two or three others used, all made some tough saves and tough to tell if goals allowed were their faults or not. But other than Ramos, all the goalies seemed to have issue with their clearing passing. 

BU was a monster of a team and when I commented they had to out weigh us 20 lbs per man, a father I was sitting next to said maybe 30. This initially caused some issues with UA's clearing game; but when UA stoped trying to run threw & over them, UA was much more successful. UA was definitely superior to BU, passing, making plays and finishing. BU scoring was a lot of one on one and brute force.

Like last weeks alumnae game, UA seemed to be making a conscious effort to NOT slide defensively. I am sure this caused some goals in both games; I am NO expert but I think working on sliding less or at least when to and when not too will benefit UA's defense in the long run.

Regan looked very good at the X; except he appeared to be favoring a leg a couple of time running off the field [looked like cramping maybe]; but one point he had to helped off with looked like a knee injury {but he did return later.} #27 & 36 both took a lot of FO's with mixed results. 27 appears very quick but is small and gets beat up physically and had numerous face-off faults (maybe he is too quick for the officials?) As mentioned in my other posts he had back to back 30 second penalties in the second game.

The starting attack and second attack if you will were assume. The midfield seems deep with a lot of weapons; some issues with clearing; but once on offense they can score and pass. #22 Jacob Moran was very impressive, as were a number of other of the new middies. Did not see Peter Salit at all who often stated last year. The real question can any of the middies play defense and help the in-close guys who appear in need of a lot of HELP.

#41 Winky-Wade a 6'5" attack might be fun to watch. Don't think he played much early; but in the second game they were feeding him high [almost like Ali-ops in BB]; he fanned on a couple but also nailed a couple in.g

Great to hear that Ramos played well, and hope he gets the opportunity to play a full season. Disappointing to hear about the defense.  That will have to improve with the AE improving.

1 hour ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Disappointing to hear about the defense.  That will have to improve with the AE improving.

YES; otherwise we could be seeing a lot of 20-19, 19-18, etc games. Maybe question is which end of those scores UA will be on. Yunker must have had 5+ goals, Tucker & Hogg a couple each, Camden Hay a hat trick in very limited time (he maybe getting over an injury, I overheard his dad saying he was begging Scott to let him back in the game but Marr said no??), Pessemetti a goal or two and multiple assist, of the 28 or so goals UA scored pretty sure everyone was on an assist. In other words offense will definitely NOT be a problem. 

Very GLAD you are staying involved. Have a great winter and I look forward to continue hearing your expertise, comments, thoughts on UA Lacrosse.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Inside Lacrosse reporting in top 16 transfers to watch #24 Jack Pucci. Noticed he was the only JR-college player to make the list. Maybe note-worthy because all the other 15  would be hurting the departing school. May mean nothing?? 

Do remember #24 in the fall scrimmage; pretty sure he had a couple of goals on the day; but do not remember him being 6'5". Along with Wade and Camden Hay @ 6'2" good size on attack. Also note Puccci was JR-college national player of the year for 2021 and MVP in national championship game.

Anyhow, like I said in the fall, scoring will not be a problem. DEFENSE another story?????