UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MLAX Game One Feb 10 (Fri) 6:00 PM Syracuse, N.Y. JMA Wireless Dome

Feb 10 (Fri) 6:00 PM

at 
Syracuse  1-0  vs.  UAlbany 0-0

Syracuse, N.Y. JMA Wireless Dome
Student Night
ACC Network Extra

Just a note while this is the Great Danes Game One; the Orange plays their first game against Vermont on Feb 4 (Sat) at 1 p.m.

Edited by cwdickens
update

Prepare for Game Day at the JMA Wireless Dome by using the links below to review our policies & procedures. As a reminder, all tickets for home men's lacrosse games are mobile.

The Mobile Ticket Guide below outlines how to access, manage and distribute your Safetix mobile tickets. Screenshots of tickets will not be accepted for entry. 

636557149fbd7.png
636557252aaeb.png
63922544468f3.png
63655840ad6c6.png
63dc35abbd74b.jpg

There's always something exciting happening at Men's Lacrosse home games. Click here to check out the 2023 home game Theme Days, which include Student Night, Military Appreciation, Youth Lax/Kids Club Day, the Mike Powell Jersey Retirement, Kraus Simmons Trophy & Legends Day and Senior Day. 

Theme Days include special programming and giveaways you won't want to miss! Group tickets are available for home games as well. For more information, contact the Syracuse Athletics Box Office.

63dc311543510.png

Syracuse University, 900 Irving Ave, Syracuse, NY, 13244, dometix@syr.edu

You may contact us at 888-DOME-TIX during normal business hours, or email us at dometix@syr.edu. If you want to unsubscribe from all emails from the Dome that provide information on upcoming events (concerts, professional events, pre- and post- season tournaments, etc.), click Unsubscribe

Is VT worse than last year and is Syracuse the same.  Or are they both better???    I think VT lost a lot of players including their #1 attack.  I guess we'll find out.

7 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Is VT worse than last year and is Syracuse the same.  Or are they both better???    I think VT lost a lot of players including their #1 attack.  I guess we'll find out.

Syracuse is supposed to better according to Inside Lacrosse due to incoming Freshman, transfer portal and retention of players from last year.

23 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

Syracuse is supposed to better according to Inside Lacrosse due to incoming Freshman, transfer portal and retention of players from last year.

Hummm.  Thought VT would be off this year becasue of the number of Srs and loosing their top sacorer to Virginia.   Maybe those Srs stayed as grad students!!  Anybody - any ideas.

18 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

VT looked sluggish on O and had a sloppy game turnover wise. Yes it’s opening week but simple stuff. Also thought Petro’s D in year 2 was much better understanding his system they were lost last year! If UA plays their game like they did vs Haudenoshaunne Orange are ripe for pickin Friday night. The transfer goalie Will Mark they have is really good -better than anyone Cuse has had in past few years . VT still has Closterman who has been thorn for UA & Tommy Burke who can control possessions 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From today's Times Union:

UALBANY MEN’S LACROSSE

Danes about to sink teeth into slate

UAlbany opens at Syracuse, plays four preseason Top 10 teams

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F02%2F09&id=Pc0150700&ext=.jpg&ts=20230209083340
Rich Barnes / Syracuse Athletics

UAlbany attack/midfielder Graydon Hogg, who played at Syracuse two years ago, will take on the Orange again on Friday night.

ALBANY — The reward was a dinner of filet mignon, rib eye steak, chicken, twice-baked potatoes, broccoli and asparagus.

The feast happened in Clifton Park, the home of University at Albany men’s lacrosse coach Scott Marr and his wife, Traci.

“Mrs. Marr killed it,” senior attack Jack Pucci said. “It was wonderful.”

The dinner was the culmination of a competition. Scott Marr split his team into groups that faced off in four areas: academics, weightlifting, extra work and community service. Points were awarded in each.

“It was a good competition,” Marr said. “They really did a nice job of leading as leaders, the older guys. But it’s one of those things where you mix the grades and you mix teams and you’ve got guys doing some things with different people that they wouldn’t normally do. It was a great way for us to kind of come together a little more than we have the last couple of years.”

Pucci and his group enjoyed the fine meal. Now the entire Great Danes team is about to sink its teeth into a grueling schedule, starting with Friday night’s game against Syracuse at JMA Wireless (formerly known as Carrier) Dome.

UAlbany is trying to rebound from a 2022 season in which the Great Danes finished 5-10 overall, 3-3 in the America East. This season, they’re picked in a tie for second with UMBC in the preseason coaches’ poll, behind two-time defending champion Vermont.

“We’re dying to get to Friday night and it felt that way since we got back,” Pucci said. “We had a really, really productive summer. I think we came back as a really mature group. We actually implemented a platoon system of kind of the older guys showing the younger guys the reins and throughout the fall we just kind of built that really, really competitive nature. We relentlessly scrimmaged against each other and top to bottom, first guy to last, really push each other to get better. So I think we’re really excited to go out there on Friday and show the compilation of all of that.”

The Great Danes will play a schedule that’s heavy on home games with a whopping 10 at Casey Stadium, the most in Marr’s 23 seasons. It’s also the type of extremely challenging slate that Marr puts together.

Except he might have outdone himself this time.

UAlbany plays four teams ranked in the preseason coaches Top 10 poll, all at Casey Stadium: top-ranked Maryland, the defending national champion on March 11; No. 4 Cornell, which lost to Maryland in last year’s final, in the Feb. 18 home opener; No. 8 Yale on April 21 and No. 9 Penn on April 26.

“That’s why you come to Albany,” senior attack/midfielder Graydon Hogg said. “Coach Marr is great with recruiting really good games and we play one of the best schedules in the country, right? It’s what D1 lacrosse is all about — playing the best. I think we’re just worried about ourselves, preparing the best we can, and whoever walks in here is going to have to put up a fight.”

Graduate student Elijah Gash is making the transition from defense to longstick midfielder. He said he loves to be able to run the field more and have more opportunities to score. At the same time, he’s enthused about what he sees from this year’s team.

“I feel like this year’s going to be very, very different,” he said after Wednesday’s practice. “The vibe in the locker room is 100 percent different than last year. We work harder. This wouldn’t be happening last year. We’re staying after, we’re putting in the extra work. I think it’s going to be very, very different from last year.”

The Great Danes have lost senior midfielder Conner Fingar (knee), junior attack Camden Hay (knee) and junior midfielder Patrick Mai (double hip surgery) to season-ending injuries. Senior defenseman Wil Pepe, a Shaker graduate, is expected to miss a month after breaking his collarbone in last Friday’s scrimmage against Siena.

▶› msingelais@timesunion.com A 518-454-5509 A @MarkSingelais

On 2/6/2023 at 3:34 PM, Laxdawg20 said:

VT looked sluggish on O and had a sloppy game turnover wise. Yes it’s opening week but simple stuff. Also thought Petro’s D in year 2 was much better understanding his system they were lost last year! If UA plays their game like they did vs Haudenoshaunne Orange are ripe for pickin Friday night. The transfer goalie Will Mark they have is really good -better than anyone Cuse has had in past few years . VT still has Closterman who has been thorn for UA & Tommy Burke who can control possessions 

I viewed some clips of the VT - Syracuse match on The LacrosseNetwork Instagram account.

UALBANY LACROSSE

Danes return to Syracuse Dome

By Mark Singelais

UAlbany at Syracuse

■› When: 6 p.m. Friday

■› Where: JMA Wireless Dome, Syracuse

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F02%2F10&id=Pc0150800&ext=.jpg&ts=20230210064148
Jim Franco / Times Union

UAlbany men's lacrosse coach Scott Marr said the Danes and Syracuse are on a “revenge tour.”

ALBANY — Beating Syracuse was a memorable night in a pretty forgettable 2022 season for the University at Albany men’s lacrosse program.

The Great Danes did it at Casey Stadium, no less, the Orange’s first visit to Albany. UAlbany won 14-12 in front of 3,688 rain-soaked fans.

“Ugly, stormy game, and a loss,” Syracuse coach Gary Gait recalled with a laugh at his media availability this week. “That’s exactly it. We made a lot of mistakes. ... It was just an ugly game.”

The upstate New York rivalry moves back to its usual location at JMA Wireless Dome — remember, it’s no longer the Carrier Dome — as UAlbany opens the 2023 season at 6 p.m. Friday in Syracuse.

“I think any team, you lose the year before, you’ll remember that game and you want to go back and beat them,” UAlbany coach Scott Marr said. “Unfortunately for (Syracuse), they had a lot of those, and so did we, so there’s lot of revenge tour for us this year, as well.”

While UAlbany went 5-10 last season, the proud Orange program slipped to a 4-10 record in its first year under Gait, the Syracuse playing legend. Syracuse missed the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2007.

“It’s a new season, new team,” Marr said. “He’s got a new team. Obviously, they look a lot better. They played very well against Vermont last week defensively, so their defense definitely looks shored up, I think.”

Syracuse (1-0) opened its season with a 7-5 victory last Saturday over two-time defending America East champion Vermont, which plays in the same league as UAlbany.

New Orange goalie Will Mark, a transfer from Long Island University, made 13 saves. Sophomore midfielder Jackson Birtwistle scored twice and graduate attack Alex Simmons, a Denver transfer who’s a first-round pick of the National Lacrosse League’s Albany FireWolves, had a goal and an assist.

UAlbany long stick midfielder Elijah Gash, a graduate student, and his teammates have watched that game.

“It was good to watch and I was excited that they did play Vermont because we’ve played them a lot these past couple of years,” Gash said. “It did give me a frame of reference, but I mean it’s just another game. (Syracuse) scored seven goals, we’ve scored none so far, so we’ve just got to do what we do.”

Gash said UAlbany should have an experience advantage over Syracuse.

“They’re very, very young,” he said. “A lot of, I feel like, immaturity at times. They don’t really know how to play as a team yet. They hustle and they hit. They’re gritty. That’s what I did notice about them. They’re very, very fast on offense. They’ll throw all these type of (behind the back) passes. They’re very flashy but they do want theirs and so I feel if we play as a team, stick together and play team defense, we’re going to be able to shut their guys down.”

Marr said the Great Danes have an “aggressive” defense that hopes to create “chaos” this season. On the offensive end, UAlbany mixes veterans such as senior attack/midfielder Gray-don Hogg (26 goals last season) and senior attack Jack Pucci (28 points) with newcomers like attack Silas Richmond, a 6-foot-4 freshman from British Columbia whom Marr is very high on.

“We’re all so excited (to play),” Pucci said. “I’ve heard murmurs through the locker room that this week has felt like forever.”

Syracuse leads the all-time series with UAlbany 17-3 with the Orange taking 17 of 19 in the Dome.

“Certainly excited about playing (Syracuse) and we’ve been playing them a long time,” Marr said. “It’s always fun to go to the Dome and play in the Dome. It’s a neat experience.”

▶› msingelais@timesunion.com 518-454-5509 A @MarkSingelais