UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MLAX - Game 10 Conference 5 Apr 15 (Sat) 3:00 PM Albany, N.Y. Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium

4 hours ago, dslyank said:
and rather than developing players the staff continually seems to be searching for something

I agree searching & experimenting seems to be a recurring UA theme the last few years. But I am not sure exactly your point about recruiting and then not letting the new “better” kids play over the veterans. Always got to keep building and get better. I know it may hurt moral, but if you got a good kid & you sit him, in this day & age of immediate gratification & the portal, you are going to lose him.  

If anything, over the years, I think Scott has been faithful (often to a fault) to the veterans. I do not have your inside information and I know moral & team chemistry are important. But in the long run IMHO it comes down to talent & how it is used. Again, I do not have your coaching background, and I’m probably wrong but isn’t building & developing players, and team, and chemistry, equally on the players as well as the staff.

Totally agree.

I guess I have a slightly different take because I had a bit more of a front row seat. I didn't do a great job of articulating my point and thanks to HOF as I was not taking a shot at Carino, but more pointing that out as an example of pumping up a new player with no recent lax experience as the possible missing piece. I meant to add the constant changes in offense, two way middle, no two way middie, the constant defensive scheme changes........

For the last 4-5 years there just has been little to no identity. I completely agree that you always try to recruit guys who are better than the ones you have and if they are, work hard and develop then those are the guys who should be on the field. I am just aware of a few too many instances when the players know who can and who can't get it done and have lost confidence. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Totally agree.

I guess I have a slightly different take because I had a bit more of a front row seat. I didn't do a great job of articulating my point and thanks to HOF as I was not taking a shot at Carino, but more pointing that out as an example of pumping up a new player with no recent lax experience as the possible missing piece. I meant to add the constant changes in offense, two way middle, no two way middie, the constant defensive scheme changes........

For the last 4-5 years there just has been little to no identity. I completely agree that you always try to recruit guys who are better than the ones you have and if they are, work hard and develop then those are the guys who should be on the field. I am just aware of a few too many instances when the players know who can and who can't get it done and have lost confidence. 

Not what I meant.  New better kids absolutley should play.  The comment about "working their butts off" was what got me - so a kid works his butt off for two years and a better kids joins the program.  Who should play?  They ALL work their butts off while in the program, first year kid, transfer, new kid to the program whether he played fb for a couple of years or not.  If he is better he should play........  If the loyalty gets to a point where it is hurting the team by keeping a kid on the field then someone else has to play.  That's my entire point.  One close D L P playing down low most of the time, freshman, should not be playing, gets beat by a step around shot every game (usually more than one time), when he came in Saturday - in the 2nd half - it happened almost immediately AND Coach Marr was shaking his head.  He came in a lot though.

4 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Totally agree.

Agree. Carino has worked hard all year and not played a sigificant role.  He played two way Middie the other day (most of the time) and looked good to me.  

Edited by HOF2013

Won't be a the Friday game, hopefully my son-in-law, who has never seen a lacrosse game in his life will let us watch it on the TV at their place.

Be back for the Sunday game. Can't afford two nights in Brooklyn OR anywhere in that area........    Anything decent is $250 - $500 plus taxes and fees.................. Don't feel like driving 1/2 hour or more back and forth from a hotel elsewhere.

Edited by HOF2013

On 4/16/2023 at 8:54 PM, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Not animosity, but when you shine a light on a guy who hasn't played a second of lacrosse in several years IMO it erodes team morale, and he hasn't been a factor. I was pointing out this has been a recurring theme, and rather than developing players the staff continually seems to be searching for something

Not sure who you are mentioning but Carino was an U Albany FB player for two years - not from IMG Acad by the way.  He had to work as hard as anybody would be my guess but did not play much until the last couple of games.  The Kid from Denver [I think] has played sparingly but more the other day.