UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MLAX - Game 10 Conference 5 Apr 15 (Sat) 3:00 PM Albany, N.Y. Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium

NJIT is coached by former Dane, Eric Wolf.  Former Dane, Sean Eccles is an assistant.  I understand there is a program taking place which includes Lyle Thompson and several members of his family as his team is in town to play the Firewolves in the evening.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, statefan said:

NJIT is coached by former Dane, Eric Wolf.  Former Dane, Sean Eccles is an assistant.  I understand there is a program taking place which includes Lyle Thompson and several members of his family as his team is in town to play the Firewolves in the evening.

Yes, the Thompson Family will be there.

19 hours ago, cwdickens said:

The Times Union will have an article involving concerns expressed by Scott Marr about the MLAX practice on Wednesday.

Thanks, I hadn't seen it and just read it. Unfortunately, no real meat to the story, but at least everyone on this forum has seen this and screaming at the top of our lungs for a while now. I've heard a few things second hand so can't say, but the one thing that has struck me for years is the disconnect between fall ball and the inability to start the season knowing who your 20-28 guys are with reasonable certainty. For the last 4-5 years there has been constant experimenting to try and find the elusive chemistry. Then you see guys disappear for a whole host of odd reasons. 

I don't know the Carino kid, but if I were on the team, and I guy who has played no lacrosse, and really hasn't shown anything, gets a ton of hype leading into the season at the expense of kids who have been busing their butt in the program IMO is the sort of thing that gets under player's skin. I don't know that is a problem per se, but there have been things like that, and what I call the shiny new penny syndrome over the last few years which can't help team cohesion.

• Like 1

I agree to an extent on your shinny new pennies pushing out established players possibly being an issue. Where I question it to some extent, we’ve all been looking for UA to capitalize on their final four success with better recruits! I know there are only so many Thompson or Fields out there, we simply have not been bringing in 5, 4 or even 3 star recruits. And when we think we may have a “good” one they turn out not to be. If they were really good enough, the pennies would NOT push them out so easily??

As for experimenting with line-ups, strategies & having to pump guys up well into the season, are things should be taken care of in the fall & pre-season. Of course corrections & fine tuning always needed; but not to the extent UA seems to be struggling with the last few years. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dslyank said:

I agree to an extent on your shinny new pennies pushing out established players possibly being an issue. Where I question it to some extent, we’ve all been looking for UA to capitalize on their final four success with better recruits! I know there are only so many Thompson or Fields out there, we simply have not been bringing in 5, 4 or even 3 star recruits. And when we think we may have a “good” one they turn out not to be. If they were really good enough, the pennies would NOT push them out so easily??

As for experimenting with line-ups, strategies & having to pump guys up well into the season, are things should be taken care of in the fall & pre-season. Of course corrections & fine tuning always needed; but not to the extent UA seems to be struggling with the last few years. 

100%

There is always going to be tweaking, and players can't stand on the their laurels and just expect to have their spot. I used to coach a bit with one of better area travel teams and the two guys your rarely saw at events were Desko when he was still at Cuse and Coach Marr. Since D1 lacrosse hasn't grown too much in terms of number of teams, and more kids playing you would sort of think with so many kids fighting for not a lot of spots that given our recent history we would be winning our share of the recruiting battles.

I do think our facilities and things like the locker room, supplemental food and what not hurts us to some degree, but there is enough talent out there. I have been on several recruiting trips to help several families out and there is no question we are the minor league when it comes to the bells and whistles part of the program. 

You could be right about why certain guys get pushed out in favor of new recruits, but I haven't seen something like we have been seeing, especially when the recruits are as you have said, and I agree not highly rated. 

• Like 1

UALBANY LACROSSE

Marr aims to keep UAlbany focused for stretch run

Coach hopes team stays“engaged” in fight for playoff spot

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F04%2F14&id=Pc0100800&ext=.jpg&ts=20230414080622
Jim Franco / Times Union

UAlbany coach Scott Marr said he’s still trying to get the men’s team to play and practice with energy and enthusiasm on a consistent basis. The Danes are 2-2 in the league going into Saturday’s game vs. NJIT.

ALBANY — The University at Albany men’s lacrosse team was warming up before Wednesday’s practice and coach Scott Marr could already tell something was wrong.

The excitement and energy just weren’t there, Marr said, even on a warm, sunny afternoon. He let his players know he wasn’t satisfied before they resumed the workout.

“It got better, but any student-athlete, these kids are here, they’re playing the sport that they love,” Marr said. “You have to be able to come out with enthusiasm. I said to them, ‘You’re not working (for a living), you’re not at war, you’re in college and this is the time to come out and have some fun and enjoy the time you have.’ A beautiful day like this and we come out kind of lethargic. How is this happening?”

Fighting just to qualify for the America East Conference playoffs, Marr is trying to get the Great Danes (3-6 overall, 2-2 league) to play with a consistency that has been elusive entering Saturday’s 3 p.m. home game against NJIT (2-8, 0-4) at Casey Stadium.

UAlbany is coming off a 20-16 loss at Bryant last Saturday. The Great Danes got off to a decent start before the Bulldogs exploded for 11 second-quarter goals to take a 15-4 halftime lead. Bryant capitalized on UAlbany’s 13 turnovers in the first half before the Great Danes improved in the second.

“We’re showing signs all year that we can play at a really good level when everybody’s engaged and playing,” Marr said. “But it’s the consistency that we’ve struggled with, making sure everybody’s prepared and ready to play each week. When you’re playing a team sport, if one or two guys are off, it can throw off your whole game.”

With three league games left, UAlbany is tied for fourth with UMBC. The Great Danes beat the Retrievers head-to-head. The top four seeds qualify for the America East Tournament with the No. 1 seed hosting. That should be the winner of Saturday’s game between America East co-leaders Bryant and Vermont in Burlington.

Marr said he figures the Great Danes need to win two out of three to qualify. UAlbany has missed the league tournament only once, in 2011.

“I”m hopeful,” senior attack Jack Pucci said. “I think we need to continue to grow and I think we need to continue to have practices like we did (Wednesday). There’s only been a game or two where we’ve put together a full four quarters.”

Marr said he will start Jack VanValkenburgh in goal against NJIT after pulling him for Tommy Heller in the second half against Bryant.

At halftime, UAlbany will honor former Great Danes stars Lyle and Miles Thompson, brothers who shared the 2014 Tewaaraton Award as the best players in college lacrosse. Lyle is playing for the Georgia Swarm on Saturday night against the Albany FireWolves in a National Lacrosse League game at MVP Arena.

The Thompsons, along with their brothers Jeremy and Jerome, will host a pregame clinic through their 4 the Future Foundation at 1 p.m. on UAlbany’s John Fallon Field. There is an autograph session at 2:15 p.m.

COLLEGE LACROSSE ROUNDUP

Danes take ‘must-win’ game

Jack Pucci, named captain this week, scores four goals

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F04%2F16&id=Pc0240500&ext=.jpg&ts=20230416073018
Bruce Dudek / UAlbany Athletics

UAlbany senior attack Jack Pucci, shown earlier this season against Drexel, had four goals in Saturday’s 13-7 victory over NJIT at Casey Stadium.

ALBANY — Senior attack Jack Pucci, made team captain this week, scored four goals and the University at Albany men’s lacrosse team overpowered NJIT 13-7 on Saturday at Casey Stadium to take a major step toward qualifying for the America East Conference Tournament.

Peter Salit added a goal and three assists for the Great Danes (4-6, 3-2 league), who began the day tied for fourth in the standings. The top four teams qualify for the conference tournament.

“It was a must-win, there’s no question,” UAlbany coach Scott Marr said. “With everything that’s going on in the conference, you never know. You’ve got to take care of your own business.”

UAlbany broke a 3-3 tie in the second quarter with six consecutive goals, including a pair by Pucci, who has 20 for the season. Marr named Pucci captain this week for the remainder of the season after previously alternating the honor among seniors.

“His confidence level is really high right now and he’s playing smart,” Marr said. “He’s doing really good things with the ball. He’s understanding his dodging angles and how he has to get to the goal, getting his hands free to shoot against a pole. He’s really, really matured over the last year, so he’s been a tremendous leader.”

UAlbany goalie Jack VanValkenburgh had nine saves. NJIT dropped to 2-9 and 0-5.

The Great Danes host Yale on Friday in a non-league game before returning to America East play next Sunday against Merrimack at Casey Stadium.

Saturday’s game was preceded by a clinic run by former UAlbany lacrosse great Lyle Thompson and his brothers Jeremy and Jerome. His brother Miles, with whom Lyle shared the Tewaaraton Award in 2014, was unable to attend because of a family obligation.

For what its worth, agree with coach:  

I didn't think we played outstanding but we made things happen when we needed to, and that's a good sign for us. 
But we definitely need to play a little bit cleaner, so we'll work on that this week."

The good, 9 different players scored a goal and 11 had points. The bad, only 5 assists on 13 goals and lost ground ball battle [by 1 but still?] and 18 TO's. I thought we should have scored more than 13 against njit, but "maybe" give credit to their goalie?  Watching the replay the announcers said [and I may have heard it somewhat wrong?], that the njit goalie has seen more shots than any goalie in the country over the last 4/5 years--over 500 shots seen [do not recall his save %age?] Anyhow he did have 16 saves against us, but don't really have a feel if it was poor shooting on UA or just a real experienced goalie who has had a lot of practice trying to make saves??

On 4/14/2023 at 4:38 PM, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Thanks, I hadn't seen it and just read it. Unfortunately, no real meat to the story, but at least everyone on this forum has seen this and screaming at the top of our lungs for a while now. I've heard a few things second hand so can't say, but the one thing that has struck me for years is the disconnect between fall ball and the inability to start the season knowing who your 20-28 guys are with reasonable certainty. For the last 4-5 years there has been constant experimenting to try and find the elusive chemistry. Then you see guys disappear for a whole host of odd reasons. 

I don't know the Carino kid, but if I were on the team, and I guy who has played no lacrosse, and really hasn't shown anything, gets a ton of hype leading into the season at the expense of kids who have been busing their butt in the program IMO is the sort of thing that gets under player's skin. I don't know that is a problem per se, but there have been things like that, and what I call the shiny new penny syndrome over the last few years which can't help team cohesion.

Carino had not played in a couple of years BUT he was pretty heavily recruited out of HS.   PLUS he had almost no time in a game until recently.  Not sure why the animosity torward him.  If a kid has an issue he should WORK HARDER and prove he should be playing.  Carino played as well yesterday as anybody - both ways, had a couple of mistakes.  There comes a time when coaches have to decide what is best for the TEAM not individuals.  If new recruits are better, they should play - bottom line.  Or if upper classman are just not doing it they should sit - bottom line.  My opinion.  The way to get better recruits is to win.

Edited by HOF2013

49 minutes ago, dslyank said:

For what its worth, agree with coach:  

I didn't think we played outstanding but we made things happen when we needed to, and that's a good sign for us. 
But we definitely need to play a little bit cleaner, so we'll work on that this week."

The good, 9 different players scored a goal and 11 had points. The bad, only 5 assists on 13 goals and lost ground ball battle [by 1 but still?] and 18 TO's. I thought we should have scored more than 13 against njit, but "maybe" give credit to their goalie?  Watching the replay the announcers said [and I may have heard it somewhat wrong?], that the njit goalie has seen more shots than any goalie in the country over the last 4/5 years--over 500 shots seen [do not recall his save %age?] Anyhow he did have 16 saves against us, but don't really have a feel if it was poor shooting on UA or just a real experienced goalie who has had a lot of practice trying to make saves??

Played Freshman and sophomores most of the game with maybe one or two upperclassmen on the field. 4th 1/4 more upper classman on the field.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Carino had not played in a couple of years BUT he was pretty heavily recruited out of HS.   PLUS he had almost no time in a game until recently.  Not sure why the animosity torward him.  If a kid has an issue he should WORK HARDER and prove he should be playing.  Carino played as well yesterday as anybody - both ways, had a couple of mistakes.  There comes a time when coaches have to decide what is best for the TEAM not individuals.  If new recruits are better, they should play - bottom line.  Or if upper classman are just not doing it they should sit - bottom line.  My opinion.  The way to get better recruits is to win.

Not animosity, but when you shine a light on a guy who hasn't played a second of lacrosse in several years IMO it erodes team morale, and he hasn't been a factor. I was pointing out this has been a recurring theme, and rather than developing players the staff continually seems to be searching for something

and rather than developing players the staff continually seems to be searching for something

I agree searching & experimenting seems to be a recurring UA theme the last few years. But I am not sure exactly your point about recruiting and then not letting the new “better” kids play over the veterans. Always got to keep building and get better. I know it may hurt moral, but if you got a good kid & you sit him, in this day & age of immediate gratification & the portal, you are going to lose him.  

If anything, over the years, I think Scott has been faithful (often to a fault) to the veterans. I do not have your inside information and I know moral & team chemistry are important. But in the long run IMHO it comes down to talent & how it is used. Again, I do not have your coaching background, and I’m probably wrong but isn’t building & developing players, and team, and chemistry, equally on the players as well as the staff.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 2