UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

WBB - Game 16/Conference Game 3 - @ Binghamton, Dr. Bai Lee Court at The Events Center, Vestal, NY, Saturday, January 13, 2024, 2:00 PM

Binghamton lost today....other results

Thursday, January 11, 2024 Women's Basketball
  Away Home Result Location Links

UMBCUMBC55

Final
Baltimore, MD (Conf.) Box Score Full Game Archive

BryantBryant62

Final
Vestal, NY (Conf.) Box Score

NJITNJIT67

Final
Newark, NJ (Conf.) Box Score

MaineMaine78

Final
Durham, NH (Conf.) Box Score Live Event

UALBANY WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Karpell adds more than just statistics for Danes

Point guard a boost to team’s offensive output, coach says

By Pete Dougherty

UALBANY AT BINGHAMTON

When: 2 p.m. Saturday

Where: Events Center, Vestal

TV: ESPN+ (streaming)

ALBANY — Her statistics may not overwhelm anyone, but Sarah Karpell, point guard for the University at Albany women’s basketball team, isn’t about compiling numbers.

It may sound cliché, but the only number Karpell, a graduate transfer from Fordham, seems to care about these days is 13 — the number of victories that the Great Danes have accumulated this season, including a current nine-game winning streak.

“I’m having a lot of fun,” Karpell said Thursday as UAlbany prepared for Saturday’s road game against Binghamton. “When I decided to take my fifth year, I just wanted to have an enjoyable experience and hopefully win a championship. It seems like we’re on track to hopefully do that.”

Karpell, 5-foot-7 from Holmdel, N.J., started 67 of her 109 games at Fordham, averaging 2.5 points and 2.1 assists. She has started all 15 UAlbany games, averaging 7.5 points a game — seventh on the team — and 3.3 assists, but most significantly is playing a team-high 30.8 minutes per game.

“Sarah has allowed us to score 10 to 15 more points a game,” Danes coach Colleen Mullen said, “based on how she goes by her player, gets into the paint and then makes the right decision, whether that’s shoot a layup or make a draw pass or a kick-out for a shot.

“Kayla (Cooper, 15.2 ppg), Helene (Haegerstrand, 10.1) and Deja (Evans, 9.0) have gotten more easy baskets or easy shots around the basket because Sarah’s facilitated those shots. When you’re getting 5-10 points on just drop-pass layups or kick-out shots, that’s the difference of, you know, averaging 58 points a game, or averaging 65 points a game. She’s that difference-maker.”

UAlbany (13-2 overall, 2-0 America East) is averaging 68.7 points and allowing 50.1, a scoring margin (18.6) that ranks 30th nationally among 348 Division I schools. All of the victories in its current winning streak have been by 10 or more points.

Surrounded by several capable scorers, Karpell has a lot of options when running the offense.

“It just depends on one game to another,” she said. “How is the other team playing us? We’ve played so many games where one team is focused on doubling us in the post, and we hit a bunch of threes. Or we play another game where they’re basically face-guarding our 3-point shooters, and we go into the post. Reading what the other team is giving us is what’s important and something that we’ve been doing a great job of so far.”

“I knew she had the (basketball) IQ, I knew she had the athleticism,” Mullen said, “but coming here, it’s the piece on both ends of the floor that we’ve been missing. She’s my type of a point guard, she’s pass-first, she creates, she’s opportunistic, but she makes great decisions. She’s a defensive stopper, she’s a floor leader. She’s really exceeded my expectations.”

Binghamton (5-10, 0-2) is coming off a 62-51 home loss Thursday against Bryant, which lost to UAlbany 69-50 a week earlier. Among common opponents, the Bearcats have lost to Siena, Navy and Cornell, and beaten St. Bonaventure. The Danes are 4-0 against those teams.

Notes: Evans, a freshman forward who has started every game and leads the Great Danes in rebounding, suffered a concussion late in last Saturday’s victory over NJIT and will not be available against Binghamton. Mullen said she hopes to have Evans back in time for next Thursday’s game against UMass Lowell. … Sophomore guard Marie Sepp, who hasn’t played since Dec. 30 because of an ankle injury, is expected to return Saturday. Otherwise, UAlbany will have only eight players available for the game. … Junior Meghan Huerter, who continues to come off the bench for the Danes, ranks second nationally, shooting 52.1 percent from 3-point range.