Give Brunson 3-4 games before setting him on fire. I'm just going to say the following once, and leave it at that...interpret all you want:
1. The kid now has 3...yes 3 games under his belt.
2. We were playing a really strong defensive line
3. We had a young O-Line
4. Brunson was not very good to start the game, not at all.
5. The announcers weren't exactly right in the first half...he didn't have all of these pockets that they claimed
6. Throwing a slick ball 'aint easy...but I will leave that one to Danefan to comment on because frankly, I don't truly know how much better Brunson should have been tossing in the rain.
7. The real problem is Joe Bernard- putting all our QB's, for years, into very obvious passing downs is not going to help. It allows the D-Line to pin their ears back and come full bore...and allows the secondary much...much too much easy ability to set themselves up to defend the pass.
That was a straight baptism by fire game for many.
The good news is:
1) The O-Line improved...but wore down at the end of the game, and Brunson took the brunt of that. The O-Line will be good
2) Brunson improved in the second half...and not against the 3rd and 4th teams from ODU. He was playing against the starters and 2nd teamers. His accuracy needs to be better....but in the 2nd half he was 10-17 for for 118 yards. That's a lot better than the 3 for 12 for 42 yards, in the first half.
3) Mofor is an absolute beast. We may have a 2nd superstar on the squad.
Let's also dispel any Testerverde notions. 1) The kid 'aint eligible; and 2) He was a walk-on at all the schools he went to and barely saw the field.
I'm willing to see if Brunson has better games against Morgan State and Monmouth...and then the big test vs. 'Nova. Those games will tell us what we have or don't have.
As for the future, Jeff Undercuffler is coming (strong verbal)...and he's a big 6'6" 220 lb QB (who will likely need a RS year) who can throw. Unfortunately, Hudl seams to have gone private on videos now. Here's an interview with him for Baseball (he was a D-1 baseball recruit who has made the decision to go football only).
Edited by Dane96, 03 September 2017 - 10:34 AM.