UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Four years ago

B9j2j6s

Sorry posted late last night and never finished my thought. This report is from four years ago and shows what our goals were at the time. To the best of my knowledge all have been reached or started. So my point is we have come a long way with regards to building and making infrastructure improvement. I hope we continue. With regards to athletics I hope this new fitness facility in the campus center will allow the gym in sefcu arena to become a athletics only facility similar to what stony brook has.

Sorry posted late last night and never finished my thought. This report is from four years ago and shows what our goals were at the time. To the best of my knowledge all have been reached or started. So my point is we have come a long way with regards to building and making infrastructure improvement. I hope we continue. With regards to athletics I hope this new fitness facility in the campus center will allow the gym in sefcu arena to become a athletics only facility similar to what stony brook has.

I know funds are limited but...I'd like to see a significant renovation on the docket for SEFCU. UVM is looking to build a new facility, UMBC is building an awesome arena, Bing has a great arena, SBU just finished a state of the art place. SEFCU is starting to look like a dump compared to what the rest of the AE is doing.

It's time to give it the attention it deserves. With the more permanent seats visitor side going in at the BoFo, gotta assume that (maybe I'm wrong) that the stadium is set for at least a few years. SEFCU needs to become a basketball only venue with the significant improvements to amenities like chariback seating, video boards etc.

I think SEFCU lighting is being upgraded this summer, along with other small improvements.

The Facilities Master Plan for 2013-2023 outlines the future: short-term plan is a Field House mainly for recreation and athletics support in phase 1; intermediate plans include phase 2 of the FH, will have a 200M indoor track; this enables removal of the bubble and renovation of the PE building; phase 2 of the multi-purpose stadium is a building for offices and lockers south of the end zone. All of course dependent on funding. Athletics and rec starts at about page 104

Edited by UAalum72

Thank you for this document, out of my own ignorance I didn't know where to find it. Really interesting stuff starting on page 104. The Field-house sounds like a really great facility and one that will become central/core part of the athletic facilities. After the construction of the field-house which will provide swing space it sounds like there are long term plans to renovate SEFCU.

I LOVE the focus on attracting students down to that area of campus with paths leading to it, purple plaza etc. Estimated cost of the field-house is around 22mil so it should be a really nice structure.

This facility is marked as a near-term project so it sounds that it may not be that far off, granted funding is always a big challenge.

Edited by Clickclack

Yep, I think I posted about this a few years back but it was based on a different document I found. It's why, when I am discussing my version of facility upgrade precedence, it always starts with the Fieldhouse and athletic support building at the BOFO.

Both of those buildings accomplish, at minimum, six things:

1) It frees up a large swath of offices and locker room space in the SEFCU and Phys Ed. It allow for dedicated space for all UA teams.

2) It frees up SEFCU to allow for a basketball only facility, and allows the administrative floor to be broken down to allow for Basketball "Office Suites" for Men's and Women's, and even allows for game day suites to be built in the future.

3) It gives track the ability to train and host NCAA events.

4) It gives all of our sports a turf indoor training facility.

5) It allows for greater academic/career support facilities

6) It allows for expanded athletic therapy/medicine facilities, which should be a priority.

The building of both of these facilities should be at the forefront. They have more ROI built in than anything we can offer right now. If the visitor side of the BOFO increases our legal capacity to about 9,500, it will be fine for now. If we sell-out constantly, the money will be there to expand later. That's why I say focus on these two needed buildings.

Edited by Dane96

Try opening the link on the Facilities Management Home Page http://www.albany.edu/facilities/

Renovation of SEFCU arena includes

New floors at the fitness center

New scoreboard

New / refreshed locker rooms and coaches offices

Improved sports medicine and strength and conditioning

Re-appropriation of the squash and racquetball courts for another function such as team rooms or team/visiting locker rooms

New Student-Athlete Success Center

Due to the overall good condition of the building, required improvements could be administered as distinct projects during the off-season.

It's listed as 'intermediate-term', won't be done until after renovation of the PE building. I'd guess five years

NEAR-TERM

Construct New Field House Phase 1

Relocate Hammer Throw and Softball

INTERMEDIATE-TERM

Construct Multi-Sport Athletic Facility Phase 2

Renovate Physical Education Building

Construct New Field House Phase 2

Renovate SEFCU Arena

LONG-TERM

Remove Air Structure

Build New Indoor Practice Facility

Edited by UAalum72

Ok, got it open. Really fascinating reading. I wonder when they talk replacing fixtures if seating is included in fixtures. i.e..are we talking about a Stony Brook level of revamp, or something on a smaller level?

Their estimate is just shy of 20mil if memory serves so it seems like it would be significant but I'm not sure a complete gut of building like SBU. What did they spend?

The price tag on the field house for phase I and II is 70mil or more...yikes...that's a crazy facility.

As you said...fascinating read, not sure if it will ever happen but it's GREAT to see a vision.

Tie it all together nicely with the purple plaza, that's a sweet little athletic village.

Edited by Clickclack