UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Villanova

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unlikely to happen, but a MAAC team could absolutely get an at-large bid. Case in point would be Manhattan in the mid 90's.

If Siena does well in the Old Spice Classic and in conference play, they could definitley get one.

Absolutely agree - 'could definitley get one'. Maybe two. A lot of people are calling the MAAC the new SEC.

No one else is going to comment on this?

I may be pulling a UA_MA and missing the sarcasm here, but if this is a serious post I would like to meet these people and welcome them to this great country, because they clearly haven't spent much time here.

Hell, the MAC isn't even that near the SEC, and the MAAC is clearly below the MAC.

Last season, the MAAC was 23rd (!) in RPI, with a combined record of 46-68 (.404). For sake of reference, the AE was 20th (47-64, .423).

That same season, the SEC was 2nd in RPI, with a combined record of 127-38 (.770).

This season, an excellent one for MAAC teams (5 18-win teams), the MAAC was 17th in RPI, with a 52-63 (.452) record.

The SEC was 4th in RPI, with a combined 124-42 (.747) record.

Yes, the MAAC's overall rating is dragged down by St. Peter's and Canisius, 2 6-win teams with RPIs of 315 and 318 (what a bad loss that was for UA), but Siena was the only RPI in double-digits (66). By comparison, the SEC had 8 teams with a higher than 100 RPI.

The MAAC is to the SEC as the AE is to the Big East. If the MAAC gets 2 AT LARGE bids this season, it means the field has been expanded to 128 teams.

Not so fast Zalman . It appears that the MAAC won 50% of its games in this year's tournament, while, to date, the SEC has won only 45%. And, as we all know, in the head-to-head the MAAC easily defeated the SEC. I think i'm with King Dane on this one.

But in a discussion of an at-large for $iena next year, let's keep it to info relevant to the current century.

The idea of a maac at large is so far fetched to me that I was looking for any information that supports it. Looking at this century the best I could find is a maac team being a bubble team. Last century you actually had a maac at large team that appears to be one of the last teams in.

To me it appears that this is a moot point. If there ever was a maac team as good as the LaSalle team of 1990 they should have no problem beating teams as weak as those in the current maac and going as the auto bid. Anything short of that it appears that at best the maac would be a BUBBLE for an at large team.

Not so fast Zalman . It appears that the MAAC won 50% of its games in this year's tournament, while, to date, the SEC has won only 45%. And, as we all know, in the head-to-head the MAAC easily defeated the SEC. I think i'm with King Dane on this one.

I need a bigger sample size before I am ready to make that conclusion.

Although given what I have seen of Siena + the returning players they have coming back they should win the maac Mickey mouse classic easily, go undefeated in the maac and contend for a final 4 spot.

Edit the maac mickey mouse classic = the old spice classic in Orlando

Although your facts are correct, is this post also made with a touch of sarcasm? :huh:

(lol)

I guess I will finish with this point. If South Alabama can get an at-large bid, then so can a MAAC team. Playing BCS Cnference teams on a neutral floor (Old Spice Classic) puts Siena in prime position for an at-large bid next year.

Again, I'm not saying it will happen, but getting a couple of wins in that tournament, beating teams like Cornell at home, winning the bracketbuster at home, and ripping thorugh the MAAC would put them in position.

If Siena, like any team that has a phenominal year, has a great OOC run - wins its conference - and then loses in the Conference tournament it has a chance to get an at large bid.

But, if Siena also throws in a couple of clunkers along the way like this year (JMU, Memphis and Manhattan) they'll be out of at large consideration, quickly.

Also if the MAAC RPI wise ranks lower than this season (17) they'll have a problem getting an at large.

How strong will the MAAC be next season? If it's weaker that will affect Siena's RPI, though that isn't and end all.

Loyola down a little ?

Marist down a little?

Rider down a little?

Niagara down a little?

Another fact for you:

This year's MAAC Championship game drew 9,279.

This year's SEC championship game drew an estimated 3,700.

Of course we all know facts don't lie.

Archived