UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SUNY 2020 Passes

Clickclack

I believe this means that all four SUNY flagship campuses can now apply to the Governor for the $35million earmarked for economic development projects as well as the ability to up tuition.

I'm glad that UA was not excluded out of this legislation as all we've ever wanted is the same set of rules that UB and SBU were asking for.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this in the UB thread earlier this evening but I'll repost it here since Clickclack made it it's own thread ...

If you want to read SUNY 2020 you can read it here: http://open.nysenate...bill/S5855-2011

Sorry MsG, didn't intend to hijack the topic. I actually didn't see it posted in the UB2020 thread before I stared this thread.

Anyway, great news for UA, now let's present a clear vision to the governor.

I posted this in the UB thread earlier this evening but I'll repost it here since Clickclack made it it's own thread ...

If you want to read SUNY 2020 you can read it here: http://open.nysenate...bill/S5855-2011

Sorry MsG, didn't intend to hijack the topic. I actually didn't see it posted in the UB2020 thread before I stared this thread.

Anyway, great news for UA, now let's present a clear vision to the governor.

No worries...just wanted to make sure the link was out there in case anyone was wondering what the bill said.

• 1 month later...

At least they clarified that the Stadium funding would not come from this grant.

Last month, UAlbany officials drew some heat after it was reported the university was planning to build a new 6,000-seat football stadium, insert a new track around the current football field and build a multi-purpose synthetic turf field for recreational and club teams. School officials did not put a price tag, or timeline, on the project. The money for the sports improvements would not come from the NYSUNY 2020 grant.

Interesting piece to read, pretty much just laid out a bit of the plan keeping the commentary to a minimum. Would the proposed bio building be on campus? I thought there was word that it might go somewhere near the downtown campus.

EDIT: I don't understand, the article starts out saying that we are looking to hire an additional 187 faculty and grow enrollment by 1350. Towards the middle of the story it talks about 5K more students and 745 permanent positions. Is the first part more immediate and the later a 10 year plan?

EDIT#2: Hard for me not to get excited even with the amount of complaining I've done with how the school keeps certain things secret. New business school, campus center renovations, proposed new football stadium, dorms, track/field, Bio building etc.

GO GREAT DANES!

Edited by Clickclack

While I still do not agree with the handling of the Stadium by our University, and I think sometimes the administration forgets that it is OUR University...not theirs, I think this announcement is awesome.

I also think it serves to shutdown the academics and others who are anti-athletics. If you look at this rationally, which they will not, not one dime is being use for athletics...yet we are INCREASING opportunities for jobs, facility and student growth.

Lofty goals at UAlbany - T_U editorial today

"The university prepares for a huge expansion. Let’s hope such plans are as financially feasible as they are ambitious."

Generally supportive, but asks if it's feasible, and throws in that Albany still hasn't told the finances of the football stadium.

• 2 months later...

As part of NYSUNY2020, T-U reports Plan calls for relocating Albany High to Harriman campus , then having a developer building new college dormitories for UA and St. Rose on the current Washington Ave. high school campus. Plans still in early discussion stage.

Also, Carl McCall is named new chair of SUNY Board of Trustees, replacing Carl Hayden, who so far remains on the Board.

As part of NYSUNY2020, T-U reports Plan calls for relocating Albany High to Harriman campus , then having a developer building new college dormitories for UA and St. Rose on the current Washington Ave. high school campus. Plans still in early discussion stage.

Also, Carl McCall is named new chair of SUNY Board of Trustees, replacing Carl Hayden, who so far remains on the Board.

President Philip spoke about the Albany High plan in the May University Council meeting. He mentioned that he would have loved for UA to actually buy the site and build the dorms, but there is no money for it.

This is a prime example of the benefits of public-private partnerships though.

That is prime real estate. Nice upscale dorms would do a lot of good for that area of Albany. Tie that into the proposed bio-medical research center that Philip wants to build and you have an almost complete revitalization project.

I see that part of the sell is that Albany high would get new regulation varsity fields.

If I were UALBANY, I'd push that to be tempered. I would suggest an alternative plan that would build one practice field at a cost of say, $1mm. This can be utilized for multiple sports...and is likely all that they were going to get anyway.

Then I'd tell the State/City...look...shoot us another $2-3mm you would have spent for erecting stands, lights, safety, etc...and instead, you can use UA's facilities for baseball, soccer, lax, T&F, etc. What kid wouldn't want to shuttle over 1 minute to use those facilities.

For lockeroom issues, you can utilize auxillary locker areas at UA. Equipment storage...wouldnt be an issue.

We take that 2 million or so...and add about $2mm in funds....and bang, you have $4mm to build out the other side of the stadium complex for another 4,000 or so seats. From my calculations...it would be a near replica of the other side.

Now you have almost 11,000 seats...and a fine FCS stadiums.

But, I am just spitballing.

Then I'd tell the State/City...look...shoot us another $2-3mm you would have spent for erecting stands, lights, safety, etc...and instead, you can use UA's facilities for baseball, soccer, lax, T&F, etc. What kid wouldn't want to shuttle over 1 minute to use those facilities.

For lockeroom issues, you can utilize auxillary locker areas at UA. Equipment storage...wouldnt be an issue.

They barely let students use those as is. I mean it's a good idea but I don't think athletics would be open to it.