Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recommended Posts

Wait a minute.  I thought Lacrosse took in 400K last season!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by HOF2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is cool!   

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Still surprised that the Canadian spigot hasn't been more with Coach Thomson on board.

Agree completely.  ALL schools have the same 12.6 scholarships too. [ I think]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not all schools are fully funded (i.e 12.6 scholarship level). That is the maximum number a team can extend, but some schools do not have a budget for that many. I recall at one point there was a laxpower thread that listed the believed number of scholarships at each school. Thankfully UA and most schools are fully funded but some of the schools that traditionally have not been very competitive have a lack of scholarships as a very large reason for that.

As far as the locker room is concerned, they had a major renovation in 2007 that included very nice wooden lockers for each player, I am kind of suprised they are looking to redo them again, however having been inside the Syracuse facilities I have seen how nice they can be— Cuse even has a custom ventilation system in each locker for the player’s gloves. If UA is going to upgrade, I would prefer them to take their time and do some serious fundraising to build a new facility. Something like Galloway’s got under construction at J’ville would be a definite boost to recruiting. Player’s spend a ton of time in the locker/film room, the quality of them really matters.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2018/05/16/1-8-million-lacrosse-facility-coming-to.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JPompo6 said:

Not all schools are fully funded (i.e 12.6 scholarship level). That is the maximum number a team can extend, but some schools do not have a budget for that many. I recall at one point there was a laxpower thread that listed the believed number of scholarships at each school. Thankfully UA and most schools are fully funded but some of the schools that traditionally have not been very competitive have a lack of scholarships as a very large reason for that.

As far as the locker room is concerned, they had a major renovation in 2007 that included very nice wooden lockers for each player, I am kind of suprised they are looking to redo them again, however having been inside the Syracuse facilities I have seen how nice they can be— Cuse even has a custom ventilation system in each locker for the player’s gloves. If UA is going to upgrade, I would prefer them to take their time and do some serious fundraising to build a new facility. Something like Galloway’s got under construction at J’ville would be a definite boost to recruiting. Player’s spend a ton of time in the locker/film room, the quality of them really matters.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2018/05/16/1-8-million-lacrosse-facility-coming-to.html

I haven't heard any specifics about the project (other than something is in the works) so don't know if that just means sprucing up the current locker room or a new facility.  Galloway has definitely injected a lot of enthusiasm down there. One of the reasons I keep banging on the we need to more aggressively market this program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I haven't heard any specifics about the project (other than something is in the works) so don't know if that just means sprucing up the current locker room or a new facility.  Galloway has definitely injected a lot of enthusiasm down there. One of the reasons I keep banging on the we need to more aggressively market this program. 

100% agree.  We have been top 10 program for some time now.  Time to actually project that to prospects and the rest of the lacrosse world.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll admit I'm a casual lacrosse fan, basically UA and nothing else. Went to 3 games last year. I understand the basic rules and follow along. My question to the avid UA lacrosse fans is this. 

Should we spend the money upgrading the lacrosse program or basketball program?  It would be AWESOME to win a national championship in lacrosse and its probably our best sport. But I truly think it does more for the notoriety of the school to be a very very good mid major program. ( See any of the very good midmajors). Now to know zero about how much money it would cost to severely upgrade the lacrosse program but I do know it will cost more then 10 million to do so with the basketball program. Just looking to see what u guys think. 

If we become a lacrosse powerhouse what does that do for the UA brand? 

Because if we become an excellent mid major and I tell u exactly what that can do for the UA brand.  

Edited by UA1882

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, UA1882 said:

I'll admit I'm a casual lacrosse fan, basically UA and nothing else. Went to 3 games last year. I understand the basic rules and follow along. My question to the avid UA lacrosse fans is this. 

Should we spend the money upgrading the lacrosse program or basketball program?  It would be AWESOME to win a national championship in lacrosse and its probably our best sport. But I truly think it does more for the notoriety of the school to be a very very good mid major program. ( See any of the very good midmajors). Now to know zero about how much money it would cost to severely upgrade the lacrosse program but I do know it will cost more then 10 million to do so with the basketball program. Just looking to see what u guys think. 

If we become a lacrosse powerhouse what does that do for the UA brand? 

Because if we become an excellent mid major and I tell u exactly what that can do for the UA brand.  

I think the men's lacrosse team had the second highest average home attendance in the entire country last year [Syracuse had more at the dome] and as the program improves it will be even more.  Means a lot!  Basketball got a huge update with the scoreboard last year.  More attendance means more money coming into the athletic program.  As I said Lacrosse took in over $400K last year so we were told.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2018 at 6:39 PM, UA1882 said:

I'll admit I'm a casual lacrosse fan, basically UA and nothing else. Went to 3 games last year. I understand the basic rules and follow along. My question to the avid UA lacrosse fans is this. 

Should we spend the money upgrading the lacrosse program or basketball program?  It would be AWESOME to win a national championship in lacrosse and its probably our best sport. But I truly think it does more for the notoriety of the school to be a very very good mid major program. ( See any of the very good midmajors). Now to know zero about how much money it would cost to severely upgrade the lacrosse program but I do know it will cost more then 10 million to do so with the basketball program. Just looking to see what u guys think. 

If we become a lacrosse powerhouse what does that do for the UA brand? 

Because if we become an excellent mid major and I tell u exactly what that can do for the UA brand.  

That's a great question, and in a perfect world, even as a huge UA lacrosse fan, one would put the money into a basketball program IMO if you had a reasonable expectation that you could turn it into a regular NCAA tournament team, and have it be in the 9-13 seed range. I don't know a lot about the particulars, but Denver seems to be the model for a lacrosse school with no football. They do have big time hockey, but lacrosse is right there.

Lacrosse is a much bigger roster and relative to basketball as a percentage has fewer scholarships so there are some potential economic impacts especially if the lacrosse roster expands to include more out of state kids. I think this is the first time I can ever recall where there are as many kids from outside of NY as NY kids in an incoming class. I have no data to back this up, but I bet the more diverse the program becomes over time the more self sustaining the program can become economically. 

I don't know the physical plant limitations of what can be remodeled versus need to build from scratch. Let's assume there is existing space which could be upgraded to give the lacrosse teams better locker rooms, team rooms. I would bet that we are talking about $2mm-$3mm to fully endow the program to a point where it is top notch (that does not include upgrading Fallon or some sort of bubble or indoor space)

If we wanted to upgrade Fallon with locker rooms, a training room, meeting rooms, new turf, etc. I bet we are talking at least $5mm, but that cost could be spread across several teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

19 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

I think the men's lacrosse team had the second highest average home attendance in the entire country last year [Syracuse had more at the dome] and as the program improves it will be even more.  Means a lot!  Basketball got a huge update with the scoreboard last year.  More attendance means more money coming into the athletic program.  As I said Lacrosse took in over $400K last year so we were told.

Are you saying $400k in donations or in additional ticket revenue?

I know some lacrosse specific donations have been coming in, but no specific campaign I am aware of other than it is providing some additional support above and beyond the current tam budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reported in the football meet and greet thread: Mr. Benson said 10 million for a covered indoor facility. He scoffed at covering Fallon, but insisted the turf upgrade is happening even though Casey is definitely the permanent home for men's lacrosse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting back to what's important. Update from Inside Lacrosse:

Saturday, Oct. 13
HEADstrong at UAlbany
Army, Johns Hopkins, Albany and Vermont

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My comment was another tongue in cheek; was not being serious. On the serious side, the Capital District has the greatest concentration of fair weather fans in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×