UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Northeastern Predictions

Both programs can co-exist in this area. The Great Danes always looked up to Siena, like a big brother. But now, the little brother has grown up. The respect is there. That is why Saints73 even wastes his time coming over to the "rival's website" to make a post. He is interested in what we are doing across town.

As long as the Great Danes keep winning and the status of the program improves, people in the Capital Region will continue to have a choice. In my opinion, 2,000 in the RACC is louder than 7,000 people who sit on their hands at the Pepsi. I went to the Siena-Syracuse game. The Saints cut the deficit to like 10-12 points and you would think the arena would errupt and lift their team. Nope. When I was kid, I went to the ARC to see a game or two, now that was a fun environment. Frankly, you can brag about your Pepsi and season ticket holders, but something special is forming on Western Ave. Although you have tradition on your side, people will now become proud to wear the name "Albany" on their chest, not Loudonville College. Kids will want to come to the RACC to see Damien the Dane, not to South Pearl St. to see your muppet mascot.

The name SUNY is fading away. New generation. New image. Jump on board. There's a new show in town.

Good point about Vermont losing much of their punch after this season. We will have to wait until next year to see if the AE can still have at least a couple high quality teams, which I believe we will.

It terms of Niagara and Manhattan being able to beat any AE team, including Vermont and BU, I think that might be a bit of wishful thinking. While Manhattan has certainly played some tough teams, they are still only 6-4 and haven't really lit anyone up other than North Dakota State and maybe Fordam. Not saying that any AE team would definitely beat those two teams, I think saying the opposite is a bit of a stretch.

While I know that a big turn around is possible in college basketball (heck, just look at us), I don't think Siena will comeback enough to neutralize UAlbany as the predominant team in the capital district. We will only be better than what we are this year. We are only losing Q and Chris Wyatt, and while they are certainly valuable and fun players to watch, I think our gains (in terms of recruits, developing current freshman experience, and the return of Iati) will far outweigh their loss.

I already can't wait for UAlbany-Siena next year. :)

Furthermore, while the AE has some very good top teams, I think that Niagra or Manhattan could beat anyone of them.

You make the post about Vermont going down, how about Niagara? They have one of the top mid-major players in the country, and once he's gone ... poof, back to being a private school in the middle of nowhere near Canada, small-town that no one cares about. Their top guy is a Canuck. That's not going to happen a lot, wouldn't start bragging about them.

Manhattan, like all the NYC schools, should be a lot better. Bottom line. NYC is a hoops mecca, but their kids flee.

You can't take anything away from what they've done, but that doesn't mean that fans from Albany are going to go to the Pepsi to watch them.

With any conference tournament the fact is: the hometown fans come out to watch the hometown team. If the MAAC is in town and Siena is good, it's packed. If not, then it's mostly visiting fans. It will be the same for UAlbany. People aren't going to say to themselves, oh yeah I heard that BU was good. If Albany is good and the media is pumping them, they will come. If not, then they won't.

Comparing the leagues doesn't really work. What I meant to say in my original post is that people don't go to pay for parking and pay higher ticket prices for the inconvenience of going downtown to watch Niagara. They go there if Siena is good. The point there is, if Albany is good or at least decent, they, I believe, will draw well considering the location of campus, the ticket prices, and the free or at least discounted parking.

Siena WILL be back next year, I promise you.

Yeah, WAY back.

Seriously, they're going to have what, nine guards next year? I know teams without centers like to say college basketball is a guard-dominated game, but SOMEBODY'S got to get them the ball.

As for the MAAC not being 'mediocre' (of no exceptional quality or ability) has it ever finished in the top ten of conferences? top third? Read a forum from Syracuse or any other BCS-conference team. They lump all conferences below ten together.

All valid points made and I agree with most, although I do take exception to Dane96 comments. Dude, this is a college basketball forum, not a place to make personal attacks on Siena grads. Furthermore, you don't know me or what I do for a living so keep the disparaging comments to yourself!

Sorry I didn't realize that Vermont is playing in the Bracketbuster weekend. Good for them, they deserve to be there. Hey, maybe they will against Manhattan?!

Please, you have disparaged most of the posters here, and unlike others, I dont take bullcrap from ANYONE. You called out the AE, called out the Danes, called out posters, and your brethern has done the same.

So, I called you a tool. Cry me a freakin river. I am tired of this glad handing kissing butt crap. The reality is, SIENA OWES ALBANY RESPECT. Past is past, we won, end of story. The MAAC is not a powerhouse, the AE is not a powerhouse, and the quicker folks realize we are ALL THE SAME, seperated by mere cycles, the more fun this would be.

The reality is, this is not just a hoops board, as you alluded to, this is an ALL SPORTS BOARD.

UA has great all-around sports, solid leadership, and commitment. SIENA does not.

As a person, I apologize if the innocuous statement "tool" offended you. As a poster who SHOULD HAVE RESEARCHED HIS FACTS BEFORE POSTING...well, you set yourself up for that. I do, however, give you credit for having balls to come on here...but not as much as I give "91" who has the balls, the courage, and forsight to admit the truth: THE RIVALRY IS BACK, and SIENA BETTER STEP UP THE WHOLE PROGRAM, or they will be an after-though in the CD!

After thought? Three NCAA tournament appearances (with two wins), an NIT final four appearance, victories over teams from every top conference through the years, and coaches such as Deane, Hewitt, and Orr. I doubt Siena will ever be an after thought.

BTW, I could care less if you call me a tool or not Danes96. The point is, although I might talk smack about UAlbany basketball, none of my comments have been directed at Albany students or alum. These type of forums can get out of control when that happens.

After thought? Three NCAA tournament appearances (with two wins), an NIT final four appearance, victories over teams from every top conference through the years, and coaches such as Deane, Hewitt, and Orr. I doubt Siena will ever be an after thought.

BTW, I could care less if you call me a tool or not Danes96. The point is, although I might talk smack about UAlbany basketball, none of my comments have been directed at Albany students or alum. These type of forums can get out of control when that happens.

You should really stop the comedy hour. For one, Siena dominated the region because they were the "IT" team. Second, Siena did well in their league, NCAA, NIT's and whatever, because the school gave adequate commitment during those times; Now, the commitment is not there.

Finally, Mike DEANE...great guy, good for Siena, but did not tear it up everywhere he has gone, to wit, Marquette, Lamar, and Wagner. He said Marquette couldnt compete year in. WRONG! Lamar---disaster. Wagner, TBD.

LOUIS ORR? LOUIS FREAKIN ORR? What has he done. Please enlighten me. The problem with most Siena fans is that you guys live in the past and fail to see the future. D'Arg has killed the entire athletic program at Siena. If there is a bright future it is up on Washinton Ave, rather than in Loudonville. Do you really think that Siena is in a position to be the Gonzaga of the east, much like your St. Bernard friends?

I'm surprised to see you throw Orr in there with Deane and Hewitt, Saint73. I thought Orr gave Siena a raw deal when he was there. He said he didn't want the job after it was offered to him and then reluctantly took it. He left after the first chance he got. I don't think he was the head coach at Siena for over 10 months.

To me, Deane and Hewitt helped build Siena and Orr just used that as a stepping stone to another position.

Mike Deane did pretty well at Marquette- two NCAA tournament appearances and a few 20 win seasons. Louis Orr has taken the Pirates to the NCAA tournament and actually beat a good Arizona team in the first round before getting blown out by Duke.

I actually agree with most of your other comments. I question the administations committment to winnning and keeping their players at Siena. I also agree that Orr did basically use Siena for bigger things, but he was still the head coach for a year and would not have gotten a Big East job if he didn't have a good season.