UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Guard commits to women's program

Sounds like a good recruit who passed on Pepperdine. All you WCDB guys who are seniors will miss out on saying Iromuanya on the air for four years.

Link to story with picture

LNE guard commits to University of Albany

BY RON POWELL / Lincoln Journal Star

Lincoln Northeast guard Charity Iromuanya must have really liked her official visit to the University of Albany in New York.

Lincoln Northeast's Charity Iromuanya takes a shot last season against Fremont. Iromuanya committed to the University of Albany. (Fremont Tribune)

She turned down the opportunity to go to Malibu, Calif., and check out Pepperdine University, another Division I college basketball program recruiting her.

Before she could experience the sandy beaches on the Pacific Ocean, Iromuanya gave an oral commitment to Albany. The 5-foot-8 senior guard will sign her national letter of intent on Nov. 9, becoming the state’s seventh girls basketball player from the Class of 2006 to receive a Division I scholarship.

“When I went to New York, I liked it a ton,’’ Iromuanya said. “My mom (Helen) went on the trip, and she told me, ‘If they offer you a scholarship, take it.’ We were both impressed with what they had to offer in both basketball and academics.’’

Iromuanya chose Albany over Pepperdine, Denver and Nebraska-Kearney. Albany, 14-14 last season, is coached by Trina Patterson, who served on the USA women’s basketball team’s coaching staff in 1998.

“The school is really focused on the women’s basketball team, they give them the support and resources they need,’’ said Iromuanya, who plans to major in biology, physical therapy or sports medicine.

Iromuanya, a three-year starter, averaged 10.6 points and 3.7 rebounds for the 24-0 Rockets on their way to the Class A state championship. The second-team Super-Stater, who averaged 14 points in Northeast’s final four games, is one of the quickest players in the state and the spark in the Rockets’ full-court pressure defense. She was recruited by Albany as a point guard.

Iromuanya did not play on a select team this summer, and she was a little concerned that might hurt her Division I chances. Albany first noticed her in a tournament in Atlanta last April.

“Coach (Rich) Olson sent them videotape, and they must’ve liked what they saw,’’ Iromuanya said. “This takes a lot of pressure off. I didn’t want to go into the season worried about impressing college coaches. Now I can focus on helping the team win state again.’’

Reach Ron Powell at 473-7437 or rpowell@journalstar.com.

"University of Albany" :angry:

Why can't newspapers in other markets not do their homework and get our name right???

I guess we should be happy that they did not call us "Albany St.", or my personal favorite "Albany, NY." To this day the NCAA still officially classifies us as "Albany, NY"

Correct me if I am wrong but there are no other teams that could use the name "Albany" in Division I Athletics. The only thing close is Albany State University, a Division II institution in Georgia. I don't understand why that "NY" designation still exists??????

Our Athletics Department should be on top of this.

Details matter...........

"University of Albany"  :angry:

Correct me if I am wrong but there are no other teams that could use the name "Albany" in Division I Athletics.  The only thing close is Albany State University, a Division II institution in Georgia.  I don't understand why that "NY" designation still exists??????

I think you hit the nail on the head. The news services want to avoid confusion with the school in the South.

I'm willing to bet, however, that the Georgia school got annoyed a few years ago with being confused with that Nawthen school back when we were D III.

The discussion of who is the real Albany has overshadowed the good news that Coach Patterson has obviously recruited a solid player who should be able to help us for a long time into the future.

I hope our new player genuinely likes the program and the school. She is certainly coming to our school at a time when we really need to stock up again on good players.

I wish her all the best at the University at Albany!

FWIW I've even heard some newly arrived top admistrators at this institution interchange University AT Albany and University OF Albany when talking about this place

10089[/snapback]

Pres. Hall has often said that we should think of ourselves as the University of Albany. Not that we should think of actually changing our name, but that everyone at the University should see ourselves as an intergral part of the city. So, he has often used "University of Albany" but in that context. I'm assuming that's the new adminstrator that you're refering to?

"University of Albany"  :angry:

Why can't newspapers in other markets not do their homework and get our name right???

I guess we should be happy that they did not call us "Albany St.", or my personal favorite "Albany, NY."  To this day the NCAA still officially classifies us as "Albany, NY"

10084[/snapback]

I've still seen 'Albany St.' in the scoreboard crawl on ESPN? this year.

Even more mystifying are 'Stony Brook (NY)' and 'Binghamton (NY)'

All of St. Joe's complaints haven't completely stopped reporters referring to St. Joseph's of Pennsylvania, so even winning NCAA games isn't enough recognition to change old habits. I just hope ASU (GA) doesn't move up to Division I.