UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Hartford

My brief research on concussions:

The Colorado Medical Society has developed guidelines for return to contact sports (or practice) following a concussion. In these guidelines, a Grade III concussion involves a complete loss of consciousness, a Grade II concussion involves only confusion and brief amnesia surrounding the injury, and Grade I involves a player who is only confused after a head blow.

A player with a Grade I concussion, and no symptoms when examined, may return to play after 20 minutes. A player with a Grade II concussion may return to play after there has been one week with no symptoms. A player with a Grade III concussion should not return for a full month (including no symptoms in the last week before returning).

What level was (is) Tanika Thrower's?

11712[/snapback]

Grade I Concussions suck, but are not serious. Basically, you feel your brain "move like scrambled eggs" in your head. You have a pretty nasty headache, could have nausea, but basically, if needed...he can play Saturday, a much more important game than the Bracket Buster.

Expect him to be in the lineup.

There is no standard classification system for concussions. Four of the leading researchers in head injuries maintain their own classification system. The symptoms of each degree of concussion are often very similar, and one can be confused when accessing a head injury.

Concussions can be divided into five grades, 0 thru 4. Grade 0 results when the head is struck or moved rapidly. It is characterized by a post injury headache and difficulty with concentration. The athlete may not notice any other symptoms. Grade 1 concussions occur in the same manner but the athlete may appear stunned or dazed. There is no loss of consciousness (LOC), and sensory difficulties clear in less than one minute. Grade 1 concussions are the typical “I got my bell rung” description from the athlete.

Grade 2 concussions are characterized by headache, cloudy senses lasting longer than one minute, and no LOC. The athlete may have other symptoms including, tinnitus, amnesia, irritability, confusion, or dizziness. One, all or none of these symptoms could be present.

Grade 3 concussions are characterized by LOC of less than one minute, the athlete will not be comatose, and exhibit the same symptoms as a grade 2 concussion. Grade 4 concussions are characterized by LOC of greater than one minute. The athlete will not be comatose, and will also exhibit the symptoms of the grade 2 and 3 concussions.

Management of concussions is grade dependant, grade 0 concussions will miss less time than grade 3. Athletes with grade 0 or 1 concussions can be allowed to participate when the sensorium clears completely and the athlete is completely asymptomatic. It is prudent to observe the athlete for at least 10 to 20 minutes before allowing them to return to play. One should repeat the neuro-motor exam prior to return to play to ensure that all symptoms have cleared.