UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Siena Jealousy???

Yes, Siena beat Albany this past season in OT. Not even going to get in to why. They upset the Danes.

Now

1. Albany won the AE. Siena didn't win the POWERFUL MAAC???

2. Albany won the AE Tourney. Siena beat at home in the 1st Round by a team with one player!

3. Albany RPI average the past 2 years higher. Higher each of the past 2 years.

4. Tony's famous HoopScoop rankings has Albany's recruiting class ranked much higher than Siena. 2.8 avg recruit to a 2.3. That includes the Oh Mighty Edwin Ubiles!

5. Coach McCaffrey did a nice job, but Coach Brown had his team dancing!

6. The Pepsi had 11,000 empty seats every night, the RACC was mostly full, especially when school was in session.

7. Siena fans blasting Albany about scheduling, Who had a higher RPI the past 2 years? That has to do with winning games and scheduling!

8. Most of killed Siena fans to see Albany parading around with the Governor and the Mayor, and the STate Assembly.

How about that brain dead Misspractice stating that Coach Brown is negative and the staff at Siena is so experienced. BTW, Brown took the Danes to the NCAA's and two assistants Coach Eaton and Coach Filien have now been to 4 NCAA Tournaments each. Filien went to 4 in a row. Gotcha again!

Enjoy the Siena Invitational! And, in regard to scheduling. You have the nerve to get after us Albany fans when you are playing Dartmouth and NJIT twice? Is NJIT a club team?

Hey Dane, don't even try to compare coaching credentials.

Coach Fran has taken two separate programs to the NCAA's and has more than 20 years of coaching experience including a long tenure at Notre Dame as a top assistant.

Let's be realistic about what the Danes accomplished this year...they won the America Least. The second worst conference in the country!! They did not beat a team in the RPI top 150!!

Finally, SIENA BEAT ALBANY!

. . . Let's be realistic about what the Danes accomplished this year...they won the America Least.  The second worst conference in the country!!  They did not beat a team in the RPI top 150!!

14790[/snapback]

Yes, let's be realistic. UAlbany fans are very aware of the downsides of our previous season, as well as the heights of our achievements.

Yes, all America East people were aware of the relatively low comparison this year to other leagues. Posters on our league board constantly made comments to that effect.

However, UAlbany played the best teams in the country very competitively, including the top two teams of the tournament, in addition to perennial power UConn, and we played them all competitively. We remember those games, too.

The best Siena could play this last season was Syracuse, which did not even end up in the top 30. And please don't play the old record about not winning those games. We played better against the top 2 teams in the country than you did against Syracuse.

UAlbany fans are very realistic about how we played this year. Are you? It seems to me that Siena fans should be a lot more humble about its recent past than you are, and by that I mean a record only two seasons ago of only six wins. That's shameful, considering the long tradition and history of Siena in Division !. Please remember your humble past, too!

Coach Fran has taken two separate programs to the NCAA's and has more than 20 years of coaching experience including a long tenure at Notre Dame as a top assistant.

Let's be realistic about what the Danes accomplished this year...they won the America Least.  The second worst conference in the country!!  They did not beat a team in the RPI top 150!!

14790[/snapback]

Don't be going on about the ND program for coaching credentials, unless you're talking fencing, women's soccer and maybe baseball. Their basketball program (well the women did win a few years back) their men's program is another program with lots of potential that frequently snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. And I can say that because we bleed Notre Dame blue and gold in this house...they break my heart year after year...and we're not even talking football here! Notre Dame, like UALbany, almost beat one of the top programs - 2004?5? Big Dance when they came a hair's breath from beating Duke.

Are you referring to the same Syracuse team that won the Big East Tournament this year?

By the way, UConn was the best collection of talented individuals, NOT the best team.

14793[/snapback]

That "collection of talented individuals" came within two points of making it to the NCAA Final Four, and if that had been the case, then UAlbany would have been competitive against all three out of four teams that made it to the Final Four that it played this year.

Your Syracuse never made it out of the first round this year. Siena did not even play anyone really good this year.

You and your cohorts always try to spin the facts to your advantage.

Edited by olddog71

Being in the profession I am, I should write and think eloquently, while maintaining decorum.

That being said, my view of Siena fans can be best described as the following:

-delusional

-censor driven humans

-spin doctors

-narcisistic

-myopic

-And yes, passionate.

The fact they get made fun of on their own board, the SMAAC boards, our boards, the AE boards...well, that shows alot considering they believe "their $ienae don't stink."

My final description, anti-eloquent of course:

SIENA FANS SUCK...in general.

JON97 has had it right for years.

Let me get this straight, playing IVY League Champ Penn at the Palestra, Big East Champ Syracuse in the Dome, at Hofstra (beat George Mason twice!), and at Umass is a weak schedule? You guys really need to learn about the landscape of college basketball.

Siena also had some quality wins over an A10 team, a very good Patriot league team, and of course against the America Least Champion.

Of course I will agree that Albany was beaten by some heavyweights last year, but they also played and lost to some real slugs (Harvard and Sacred Heart to name a couple).

By the way, Fran recruited the Big East player of the year while at Notre Dame and two NBA lottery picks.

Learn more about college basketball.

Let me get this straight, playing IVY League Champ Penn at the Palestra, Big East Champ Syracuse in the Dome, at Hofstra (beat George Mason twice!), and at Umass is a weak schedule?  You guys really need to learn about the landscape of college basketball.

Siena also had some quality wins over an A10 team, a very good Patriot league team, and of course against the America Least Champion.

Of course I will agree that Albany was beaten by some heavyweights last year, but they also played and lost to some real slugs (Harvard and Sacred Heart to name a couple).

By the way, Fran recruited the Big East player of the year while at Notre Dame and two NBA lottery picks.

Learn more about college basketball.

14798[/snapback]

We did not say that Siena played a weak schedule, but, on the other hand, Penn, Hofstra, and UMass are NOT Florida, UCLA, or UConn.

UAlbany fans are very aware that we lost to the likes of Sacred Heart and other teams.

Some Siena fans look only at those losses to judge our season. UAlbany fans are merely saying that our basketball program has made major progress in the last few years. Our progress is phenomenal since we have been in Division I only 7 years.

Regarding our match this season, please don't make the mistake of overhyping the result. Yes, you won the game and the bragging rights that went with it, but you won the game in overtime after a controversial end of regulation on your home court. Your victory was NOT a convincing show of power. For your team, which has been in Division I for about 25 years, to win this narrow victory over us with our much shorter tenure in the upper Division I does not exactly show overwhelming superiority. It's like a 25-year old beating a 7-year old in a fist fight and then bragging about it.

If you recall olddog, that was Siena's third game in five days. The Saints were in command the entire game and leading by nearly twenty points in the second half. The guys ran out gas at the end of regulation and Albany made a nice comeback.

In overtime, however, Siena dominated.

If you recall olddog, that was Siena's third game in five days.  The Saints were in command the entire game and leading by nearly twenty points in the second half.  The guys ran out gas at the end of regulation and Albany made a nice comeback.

In overtime, however, Siena dominated.

14800[/snapback]

Yes, Siena did dominate in the overtime. Nobody here will dispute that, and, to tell you the truth, I thought UAlbany would win the game after regulation.

UAlbany returned from an emotional game against highly-ranked UCLA four days before the Siena game, complete with a three-hour time differential. At that point in our schedule, UAlbany did not really know how to win games. We had not won a close game in almost two years. After our losing streak ended at 2-6, UAlbany went on a 19-5 run to end our season.

I would not be all that confident of a Siena victory over UAlbany this coming season. We will remember the last game. We also have some factors that will weigh in our favor as opposed to last year.

I don't think any Siena fan is overly confident of winning this years game with Albany.  Like any good rivalry, I expect the annual Siena-UAlbany game to be very close from here on in.

14802[/snapback]

I seem to recall Tony the Greek slating Siena as 7-10 point favorites over here not too long ago

14804[/snapback]

But as usual you must take his comments with a grain of salt. The source of the information is always a great indication of it's relevance and reliability. I will let you be the judge of the 7-10 point Siena favorite source.