UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I know this is a topic that is continuously rehashed, but what do we have to do get some coverage of UAlbany football?

Camp has now been in session for 2, going on 3 days, and still not a word about it in the Times Union.

Furthermore, what is the headline on the UA sports webpage? Mike and the Mad Dog broadcasting from campus. Great exposure, woohooo.

Am I overreacting or is there cause for concern here?

I know this is a topic that is continuously rehashed, but what do we have to do get some coverage of UAlbany football?

Camp has now been in session for 2, going on 3 days, and still not a word about it in the Times Union.

Furthermore, what is the headline on the UA sports webpage?  Mike and the Mad Dog broadcasting from campus.  Great exposure, woohooo. 

15613[/snapback]

Well, there is a little team called the New York Giants practicing on campus as well.

There was a photo on page 3 of the Times-Union Tuesday, and a short interview with Ford on channel 13 Monday night, but generally we're squeezed between the Giants, the track, and baseball and other pro sports.

I agree about the web page, but it's going to take a dedicated reporter (or journalism student) added to the University's staff to help there.

WHEN they build the stadium, IF we average 8-10,000 / game, THEN maybe football will be looked on as a major part of area sports.

Furthermore, what is the headline on the UA sports webpage?  Mike and the Mad Dog broadcasting from campus.  Great exposure, woohooo.  

15613[/snapback]

Well, there is a little team called the New York Giants practicing on campus as well.

15615[/snapback]

I know the Giants are here, but I stick to my previously mentioned belief that the Giants are an overall detriment to UAlbany athletics.

There are some residuary benefits of having them on campus, but mostly those benefits are felt by the local community, not the university itself.

The Giants don't donate to the athletic program like the Jets do at Hofstra or the Bills at St. John Fisher. They take our practice fields, which admittadly wouldn't be as nice if they weren't here. They disrupt the athletic department as a whole by displacing about 90% of the offices, including completely uprooting the basketball offices. They also take over the training facilities, forcing our sports into the old training room that is no bigger than a closet.

In my opinion, that is no way for a DI school to have summer sessions.

I know most people will disagree with me on this one, but I'm bored at work and needed something to talk about...since no one has posted anything in 5 days.

I don't think dropping the Giants' camp would in any way increase the coverage of UA athletics, not until local reporters think UA football really is a nearly-major athletic program.

15619[/snapback]

I agree with that point. On the other hand, I don't think UA athletics will be hindered by the Giants not being here either, IMHO.

15613[/snapback]

You may have a point about the lack of coverage for our football camp.

I have another concern about the lack of coverage. I just went back through the archives of the Times-Union and have found no coverage about Zoellner's signing with a team in Greece. Am I wrong that there was no article about this?

If so, what gives? I'm sure sports editors read this site for clues about what may be going on with UAlbany basketball and other sports, but there is no excuse for ignoring the posting of the news that was found on the official UAlbany athletic site about Zoellner's new job.

Perhaps this apparent lack of coverage belongs on the basketball-winter sports thread, but I thought it has a link to the concern mentioned in this topic.

15613[/snapback]

You may have a point about the lack of coverage for our football camp.

I have another concern about the lack of coverage. I just went back through the archives of the Times-Union and have found no coverage about Zoellner's signing with a team in Greece. Am I wrong that there was no article about this?

If so, what gives? I'm sure sports editors read this site for clues about what may be going on with UAlbany basketball and other sports, but there is no excuse for ignoring the posting of the news that was found on the official UAlbany athletic site about Zoellner's new job.

Perhaps this apparent lack of coverage belongs on the basketball-winter sports thread, but I thought it has a link to the concern mentioned in this topic.

15621[/snapback]

Great point. But interestingly there was an article in today's TU about Siena's Antoine Jordan signing in Italy

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...wsdate=8/9/2006

Just announce that UAlbany football is going to be a Division 1-A Independent next year, and you'll get coverage. I think the media knows that UAlbany plays in a meaningless conference with no bid to the tournament. I mean, you can report that UAlbany is going to be great this year, and that they're favorite to win the NEC. But in the end, they'll just be the winners of a mediocre 8 team conference. You need that NCAA tourney dream to add meaning to the whole process. The NEC isn't sexy enough for people who are all hopped up on the big time BSC schools and the NFL teams in the area to care about. They also play in a stadium (and I use that word lightly) that is stuck back in the Division III years. In Texas, University Field would be a practice field for most High Schools. It isn't a very exciting place to report from. Basically, the issue is legitimacy. I think that is the root of the problem. You have a market that is saturated in big time professional sports with the Yankees, Mets, Bills, Jets, Giants, Patriots etc. Even though they're not located in the area, UAlbany is still competing with them because of television. Then if professional sports aren't enough, we have to compete with all the ESPN games of big time BCS football. If the average football fan off the street is going to come to UAlbany football games or read about UA football, you have to make it legitimate. An actual stadium, and an auto-bid, will do that. Even though it isn't 96,000 at Tiger Stadium, it would be close enough for this area. In summation, build the damn stadium already.

Just announce that UAlbany football is going to be a Division 1-A Independent next year, and you'll get coverage. I think the media knows that UAlbany plays in a meaningless conference with no bid to the tournament. I mean, you can report that UAlbany is going to be great this year, and that they're favorite to win the NEC. But in the end, they'll just be the winners of a mediocre 8 team conference. You need that NCAA tourney dream to add meaning to the whole process. The NEC isn't sexy enough for people who are all hopped up on the big time BSC schools and the NFL teams in the area to care about. They also play in a stadium (and I use that word lightly) that is stuck back in the Division III years. In Texas, University Field would be a practice field for most High Schools. It isn't a very exciting place to report from. Basically, the issue is legitimacy. I think that is the root of the problem. You have a market that is saturated in big time professional sports with the Yankees, Mets, Bills, Jets, Giants, Patriots etc. Even though they're not located in the area, UAlbany is still competing with them because of television. Then if professional sports aren't enough, we have to compete with all the ESPN games of big time BCS football. If the average football fan off the street is going to come to UAlbany football games or read about UA football, you have to make it legitimate. An actual stadium, and an auto-bid, will do that. Even though it isn't 96,000 at Tiger Stadium, it would be close enough for this area. In summation, build the damn stadium already.

15623[/snapback]

Good point...and to tie that into the Giants issue, how come the Giants have't ponied up any money for this stadium? They could be playing a preseason game here and packing a 15,000 seat stadium. Look at St. John Fisher's new field.

http://www.ballardsports.com/wall%20photos...all%20Photo.jpg

Granted it only seats about 5,000, but it was greatly funded by the Bills and puts University Field to shame.

I feal like UA missed the boat with the Giants because once the new Giant's Stadium is built in Rutherford, why would the Giants come back to UA? They will have their own state of the art practice facility.

Edited by danefan

Coach Ford is scheduled to be on Dan Murphy's show on Fox 980 between 4 and 5:00 today.

15626[/snapback]

Coach Ford was also on Paul Vandenburgh's morning show earlier in the week so it is not like we are getting no coverage. I did not hear it so I can't give a recap. As far as coverage in the Siena Times Union, I have given my opinion previously about that paper being a second rate paper and until it actaully covers sports I will always view it as a second rate paper. Most days, I don't even bother to look at it. If they actually have an article worth reading most times someone will post it here or someone at work will let me know.

Coach Ford is scheduled to be on Dan Murphy's show on Fox 980 between 4 and 5:00 today.

15626[/snapback]

Coach Ford was also on Paul Vandenburgh's morning show earlier in the week so it is not like we are getting no coverage. I did not hear it so I can't give a recap. As far as coverage in the Siena Times Union, I have given my opinion previously about that paper being a second rate paper and until it actaully covers sports I will always view it as a second rate paper. Most days, I don't even bother to look at it. If they actually have an article worth reading most times someone will post it here or someone at work will let me know.

15630[/snapback]

At the end of the day The Times Useless is a third rate paper in a second rate market. I rank it slightly above the National Enquirer (for no other reason than they print daily). I would hope that with the NYG in town some of the papers from down this way would start picking up some stuff about the UA GD program.

To this point it has not happened. Give it time. It will happen.

If you build it, they will come....

Like the Albany Times Useless...

SSS!