UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Friday Poll

Dane Pound

Should 1-A Football be the Ultimate Goal at Albany?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I-A is too far into the future to consider - we're not going to be competing with the 40,000-student land-grant Midwestern universities. A top I-AA like UMass or Delaware (or like Buffalo should be) is our niche. If we were in the deep South, maybe, but not here.

Actually, 'everything's' not in place for I-AA until the stadium's built.

Believe it or not we could very easily be a fully funded 1AA w/o a stadium. Look at lot of the stadiums around the NE, (Rhode Island, northeastern etc) not very impressive. Renovations are probable if a stadium does not get built. I have said many times that they could overhaul University Field and enclose it with stands at both ends and stadioum seats with backs on them closer to the field etc. It could actually be very nice if done correctly.

I obviously would prefer a new stadium and we would be very competitive right away with a new stadium, but I would not hate a "new" renovated facility at a cost of probably 3-5 Mill. We need SOMETHING to show a prospect that is considering UA.

Ruler - stop - we're going to get a new stadium!  We'll suffer for a couple more years.

16521[/snapback]

I think it will be more tangible and a useful recruiting tool if they would release something official...like a nice artist's rendering of the stadium with little people and trees and whatnot. This of course means that they actually have the funding, which according to McElroy, we don't yet.

I can't help but think that Hitchcock killed the stadium a fews years ago. Stony Brook and Cortland used their construction money for a stadium...but she used our's for a sculpture studio. Hmm :blink::blink::blink::angry::angry::unsure:

Why can't UAlbany be D1A? Why is that so crazy?

1) We have the student population size. We're bigger than ND, Army, Stanford and Duke. We are at least the same size population as a Boise State or Kent State. That's an off the cuff sampling without having done any research.

2) We are a state school. I would guess 90% of states have a D1A school. Why not New York? Why is our bench mark comparison just the northeast. If I had only compared myself to my family then I would not have gone to college and then grad school. I was the first in my family to go to college because I asked myself 'why not me?' So what if I'm the first. Why compare myself to my family history. To tie it back to Albany, why compare New York to small New England states? Why not compare us to Penn or Ohio, they're just as close.

3) We're a university center based in the state capitol like Wisconsin, Texas, and Boise etc.

4) It doesn't take decades to make the move. Buffalo and UAB went D1A in a few years. Central Florida didn't take very long.

5) The competition isn't just the SEC power house schools. There are a lot of schools that we would be able to compete with: Army, Kent State, Duke, SUNY Buffalo etc. The MAC isn't such a tough conference.

6) Albany students, alumni and professors have a history of pessimism. Ten years ago people would have laughed if I said we could make it to 1AA football or make it to the NCAA basketball playoffs.

7) D1A would improve selectivity and therefore academic standards. It's simple supply and demand. Kids are attracted to big name schools. Who doesn't want to go to the school you saw on tv as a kid? D1A means more interest, which means more applications, which means more selectivity, which means higher academic ratings. Its not rocket science people!. Don't believe me? Compare our academic rating to those 'back water' southern schools like Georgia, Florida and Virginia. I hate to admit it but they kill us.

Think big. Be a winner. That's how you get ahead in life. Do you think Donald Trump says that project is too big? D1A may be a few years out but it doesn't have to be decades or be a phase 'never'.

Think big.

Why can't UAlbany be D1A?  Why is that so crazy? 

1) We have the student population size.  We're bigger than ND, Army, Stanford and Duke.  We are at least the same size population as a Boise State or Kent State.  That's an off the cuff sampling without having done any research.

2) We are a state school.  I would guess 90% of states have a D1A school.  Why not New York?  Why is our bench mark comparison just the northeast.  If I had only compared myself to my family then I would not have gone to college and then grad school.  I was the first in my family to go to college because I asked myself 'why not me?'  So what if I'm the first.  Why compare myself to my family history.  To tie it back to Albany, why compare New York to small New England states?  Why not compare us to Penn or Ohio, they're just as close.

3) We're a university center based in the state capitol like Wisconsin, Texas, and Boise etc. 

4) It doesn't take decades to make the move.  Buffalo and UAB went D1A in a few years.  Central Florida didn't take very long. 

5) The competition isn't just the SEC power house schools.  There are a lot of schools that we would be able to compete with: Army, Kent State, Duke, SUNY Buffalo etc.  The MAC isn't such a tough conference.

6) Albany students, alumni and professors have a history of pessimism.  Ten years ago people would have laughed if I said we could make it to 1AA football or make it to the NCAA basketball playoffs.

7) D1A would improve selectivity and therefore academic standards.  It's simple supply and demand.   Kids are attracted to big name schools.  Who doesn't want to go to the school you saw on tv as a kid?  D1A means more interest, which means more applications, which means more selectivity, which means higher academic ratings.  Its not rocket science people!.  Don't believe me?  Compare our academic rating to those 'back water' southern schools like Georgia, Florida and Virginia.  I hate to admit it but they kill us.

Think big.  Be a winner.  That's how you get ahead in life.  Do you think Donald Trump says that project is too big?  D1A may be a few years out but it doesn't have to be decades or be a phase 'never'.

Think big.

16533[/snapback]

I don't think Albany cannot be IA. I just wouldn't want to do it the Buffalo way. The school should be focused on doing it the Marshall way if they plan on doing it at all.

Lets win some IAA national championships (which I see possible in 4-5 years) and then talk about IA.

Shoot I'd love to see a IA Albany team. My two championship rings will sparkle a lot more in my office...but I sure as heck don't want to look like Buffalo.

Edited by danefan

Buffalo is just going through some growing pains. They are getting better every year. I admire their enthusiam and willingness to try. That being said, beating Auburn was a bit of a streach. Who are they playing next year USC? Anyway, if they're playing Auburn it's only a matter of a few years when they'll be dominating the MAC. We'll be envious, I sure.

Buffalo is just going through some growing pains.  They are getting better every year.  I admire their enthusiam and willingness to try.  That being said, beating Auburn was a bit of a streach.  Who are they playing next year USC?  Anyway, if they're playing Auburn it's only a matter of a few years when they'll be dominating the MAC.  We'll be envious, I sure.

16543[/snapback]

Growing pains? Heck no. I signed with Buffalo out of high school (not for football). THEIR PROGRAMS ARE A MESS and that is a big reason I ended up at UA.

Bob Ford gave the best talk on the Buffalo situation.

In short, Buffalo hosted the World University Games (right before I signed in 91). They got all this money for these facilties and made the jump from BAD IAA (A in other sports).

The financial commitment for IA football IS TREMENDOUS.

Examples:

Albany- 1 Full-Time Head Coach

4 Full-Time Asst. Coaches

6 Part- Time Asst. Coaches

Revenues (football)- $51k

Expenses (football)- $739k

Operating Expenses (football)- $210k

Scholarships (ALL SPORTS, including women)- $2.45mm

Recruiting Expenses (All-Sports)- $291k

Average Head Coach Salary- $71k men; $57k women

Average Asst. Coach salary- $37k men; $31k women

TOTAL ATHLETIC BUDGET- $8.45mm

Buffalo- 1 Full-Time Head Coach

9 Full-Time Assistant Coaches

2 Part-Time Asst. Coaches

Revenues (football)- $992k

Expenses (football)- $3.47mm

Operating Expenses (football)- $720k

Scholarships (All-Sports)- $4.276mm

Recruiting Expenses (All Sports)- $279k

Average Head Coach Salary- $81k men; $61k women

Asst. Coach Average- $46k men; $35k women

Total Athletic Budget- $16.3mm

Third party benies (Nike sponsoring the coach to increase salary, camps)

are not included.

Enrollment is 10k more (which means MILLIONS in student athletic activities fees).

Now let's look at a school that actually is mediocre in a BCS conference:

Rutgers- 1 Full-Time Head Coach

9 Full- Time Head Coaches

2 Part-Time Asst. Coaches

Revenues (Football)- $10.66mm

Expenses (Football)- $10.66mm

Operating Expense (football)- $2.63mm

Scholarships (All-Sports)- $6.3mm

Recruiting Expenses (All-Sports)- $607K

Average Head Coach Salary- $198K men; $129.5K Women

Average Asst. Coach Salary- $98.7K; $49k women

Total Athletic Budget- $37.168mm

They too have more students than UA...meaning MORE STUDENT $$$ to pay for this stuff.

WE WOULD NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY TO MAKE THIS MOVE...even to get to mediocrity in the BEAST LEVEL, or BASEMENT OF THE MAC (which is where Buffalo usually resides).

Plus, we would need a 35k seat stadium, with amenities. Renschler Field (UCONN) was opened two years ago. It seats 40k, and they have 24k season ticket holders. COST: Topped $100mm.

Our current design, 10-15k seats, will cost nearly 50mm in 2006 dollars. How much do you think a 35k seater in 2009 would cost? About $120-130mm. Where are we getting that from???

Fact is, we need to go the routes of Boise State, Marshall, UAB, and Troy. Sellout 12-15k, be in the Top 15 for 8-10 years in a row in IAA, get the fan base.

Truth is, IA football would be great and honestly, we would end up being supported in a bigger way than SYRACUSE because we would be the "peoples" team, not some private school you root for because there is no one else to root for!

IT TAKES TIME...and LOTS OF MONEY.

Befriend the athletic office....talk to them...they are great. DONATE MONEY TO THE CURRENT STADIUM PROJECT. I KNOW I DID...I KNOW RULER DID!

The current stadium plans can be expanded to 25k. IF done right....they could easily expand it again....IN DUE TIME. We are 20 years away from PROPER DIA football.

UCF---TERRIBLE.

USF- LUCKY THEY GOT IN A BCS CONFERENCE

BOISE- ANOMOLY

MARSHALL- AWFUL SINCE GOING DIA (except for the Chad and Byron years)

FIU and FAU- Trust me...family friends with both coaches...they are AWFUL...and cant draw $iena!

TROY- SUSPECT

ANY SUNBELT SCHOOL- BLAH

UTAH STATE- Rest in peace Dr. HALL....but they suck!

To show how perilious the situation is at UB...this is the findings of a 2004 commishioned study by UB to help turn things around. These procedures HAVE YET TO BE FULLY IMPLEMENTED...

http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/headlin...ss%20records%22

Edited by Dane96

Thanks for all the great analysis. I certainly didn't expect a move too soon. Even in my own estimation, I thought a 8 to 10 year plan seemed aggressive (but possible). I just hate it when people respond as if it were impossible. It just takes time, planning and support from the right people (especially donors, law makers and administration).

Can you provide a link or address on where to donate for the stadium? Being out of state, I get news piece meal.

Keep an eye on Georgia State and Kennesaw State. With UGA being at capacity, these are 2 quickly growing schools. They'll be moving the athletic program up as soon as humanly possible. They were nothing a few years ago. They may be additional case studies.

Thanks for all the great analysis.  I certainly didn't expect a move too soon.  Even in my own estimation, I thought a 8 to 10 year plan seemed aggressive (but possible).  I just hate it when people respond as if it were impossible.  It just takes time, planning and support from the right people (especially donors, law makers and administration).

Can you provide a link or address on where to donate for the stadium? Being out of state, I get news piece meal.

Keep an eye on Georgia State and Kennesaw State.  With UGA being at capacity, these are 2 quickly growing schools.  They'll be moving the athletic program up as soon as humanly possible.  They were nothing a few years ago.  They may be additional case studies.

16576[/snapback]

Copied from the website:

"For more information on how to give to athletics, contact Don Ostrom, Director of Athletic Development at (518) 437-4416 or by e-mail: dostrom@uamail.albany.edu."

Don Ostrom is a great guy.

I would make sure you let your intentions known that you want to donate to the stadium project.

ATL DANE,

Did you play football at UA?

If so, I'm sure Coach Ford would love to hear from you. Believe it or not Fordie actually checks his email quite frequently. rford@uamail.albany.edu

Plus we hold a football alumni golf outing every summer which is great.

Edited by danefan