UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Delaware

UAFAN

Looks like Delaware lost there two best players from last year and has a new coach.

From ESPN Insider Blue Ribbon Yearbook............

Looking at the 2006-07 season for the Fightin' Blue Hens is a scary proposition. And it's not scary in the good sense.

Delaware lost one of its all time best players in Harding Nana. All the Cameroon native did last season was average 19.0 points and 10.9 rebounds while being the major focus of opposition scouting reports. This was on the heels of a junior season in which Nana averaged 18.5 points and 10.4 boards. Both seasons he was first-team All-CAA.

What's more, the Blue Hens also lose two-year starter Rulon Washington, who chipped in 9.0 points per game but was also Delaware's best three-point shooter (39.6 percent). The graduations meant two of the best players were leaving a nine-win team.

But Delaware, after several seasons of futility, also fired its coach, David Henderson. The former Duke Blue Devils star had presided over a Blue Hens program that had regressed in his six seasons. The final two years Delaware had finished 11-20 and 9-21 despite having one of the league's best and most versatile players in Nana.

BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS

BACKCOURT: B-

BENCH/DEPTH: C

FRONTCOURT: B

INTANGIBLES: C

Also, senior guard and leading returning scorer Calvin Cannon is suspended for the UA game.

http://caainsider.com/index.php?option=com...1113&Itemid=128

Another opponent with a big man/men..........

The Blue Hens are in good hands at the center position. Senior Raphael Madera (4.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg) was exactly what he needed to be for three seasons -- a quality role player. But at 6-10 his size alone dictates that he must be dealt with. Still, Madera likely doesn't have the talent to be more that a serviceable CAA center.

The upside belongs to 7-2 sophomore Matt Hewson (1.4 ppg, 1.3 rpg), who is the tallest player in Blue Hens history. As is typical for freshmen big men, Hewson's defense was way ahead of his offense last year. He gives Delaware a legit shot blocking presence, having swatted 13 in limited time a year ago (6.5 mpg).

Hewson also knows how to position himself for rebounds,. Ross has to focus on improving the offensive effectiveness of his big man. The fact Hewson made 13-of-18 free throws (72 percent) suggests he can learn to score. Hewson can run the floor better than most his size. Hewson was hampered in the summer by an ankle injury.

Okay so basically they have two big Center's one (the soph) sounds lot like Zoe, aside from there leading guard being out for the game what else do they have? I know they are a CAA team and they play in a better conference but they are picked to finish last, they have a new coach and no real strong returning player (at least for our game).

This sounds like a sure win for UA but why do I have feelings of trepidation of a let down game this Friday?

Does anyone else get the feeling this could be a trap game for UA?

Okay so basically they have two big Center's one (the soph) sounds lot like Zoe, aside from there leading guard being out for the game what else do they have?  I know they are a CAA team and they play in a better conference but they are picked to finish last, they have a new coach and no real strong returning player (at least for our game). 

This sounds like a sure win for UA but why do I have feelings of trepidation of a let down game this Friday?

17584[/snapback]

There were a couple of games last season that we should have won but didn't, I hope this isn't one of them as we are much more talented and deep then Delaware. I will also be in my regular seat for this game. The seats were terrible for the Bucknell game! I was bringing two other guys to the game so I purchased the bleacher seats, we were in the first row behind court side seats and couldn't see crap. The second row of the court sides was higher then the first. Wasn't very cool. Anyway, can't wait 'till this Friday.

I'm not sure that the Delaware game should be a sure win:

1. Our coaching staff does a very good job at scouting and preparing for opponents. With Delaware, there is really no information that they can use to prepare - their best player graduated, they have a new coach, their PG is suspended - I think they are starting 2 freshmen. Will be tough for our coaches to prep the kids. Also, last year all of our conferences losses were to teams with a new coach - new coaches can take the same kids and implement style changes that make it hard to win. Delaware hasn't even played a game yet - I think they open vs. Marist tomorrow.

2. I didn't go to the game on Saturday, but I don't know that we got a lot of offensive contribution from our post players. Delaware is big - we may need Covington, Gifford... to contribute offensively.

3. Our 3 point shooting wasn't real good. I think we were about 25%. We will need to begin to shoot better.

All of this said, we played great defense. That may be enough to win but we will need to keep improving our front court, our perimeter shooting... to keep winning.

Bucknell is a great win, but I don't know that the team played as well as they will need to in order to have a real successful year. As I read some of the quotes, I think the players and coaches would be in agreement.

Marist plays tonight at Delaware. It's a good opportunity to become acquainted with our opponent on Friday.

In several ways, I consider Marist to be on a par with UAlbany. Marist was a little stronger in RPI last season than UAlbany.

17630[/snapback]

Dog....go and toss some cold water on your face...RIGHT NOW!!! The Siena Faithful are getting ready to chop you down and I want you alert...and at full throttle when they come. I believe Marist was picked to win the MAAC...and we all know how an AE team would compare against the MAAC.

To compare Marist and Albany....BLASPHAMY!!!

;)

I don't think they will come here. After all it was some dushe on their site who compared LCC to the Yankees and us to the Mets. Talking basketball UA/LCC is beneath them and they swear they never do it. Except for the thread titled U Albany :D on their site. I love to read the bull$iena on their site, the funny thing is that everyone has the same opinion of LCC fans. Go read the MAAC board, some funny crap!

Even though I usually worry about jinxing with something like this, I'm even more concerned with doing things for good luck, so...I will make a UAlbany-Delaware prediction as I made one for the Bucknell game that ended up close (UA by 4).

I know they're picked last in the CAA, but they played decently against MAAC favorite Marist. Their forward Herb Courtney looks like a scoring stud (27 points on 10-23 shooting), but at 6'7" only snagged 4 rebounds. Their 6' 4" freshman G/F Darrell Johnson was the only other real scoring option for them that game (18pts).

I think we can match their athleticism, especially with our deep bench, and hopefully we show some of the same defense that we did against Bucknell. And our offense (other than Siggers) has yet to click, so hopefully we still have that to look forward to.

UAlbany 68 Delaware 59

Archived