UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

What if...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah it is serious....i mean, it's not a big deal but i was just curious...like, in my opinion, parking might be an issue (as even at our home games we have trouble getting everyone out efficiently). Also, concessions would probably be a little tight...anyway I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are based on what they've seen at other hosts and what they know we have to offer.

Heheh...not sure. It wasn't the brightest question I've asked.

Perhaps if I thought before I posted I could've avoided this awkward conversation. My bad.

Let me try to phrase this better. For those of you who have been to many of the other Am. East Tourney's how would you suspect the SEFCU Arena would compare to other hosts when it comes to items such as ease of travel, parking, capacity, hotels, etc. I've only been to the Events Center for a tourney before and even then I only went and came back, I didn't stay overnight there or anything. So I was just wondering how, if you were a visitor, you would think the CUE would compare to other venues.

Sorry about the confusion!

-bterrywps

Heheh...not sure. It wasn't the brightest question I've asked.

Perhaps if I thought before I posted I could've avoided this awkward conversation. My bad.

Let me try to phrase this better. For those of you who have been to many of the other Am. East Tourney's how would you suspect the SEFCU Arena would compare to other hosts when it comes to items such as ease of travel, parking, capacity, hotels, etc. I've only been to the Events Center for a tourney before and even then I only went and came back, I didn't stay overnight there or anything. So I was just wondering how, if you were a visitor, you would think the CUE would compare to other venues.

Sorry about the confusion!

-bterrywps

It would be the best, IMHO, for atmosphere and accessibility outside of Bingo.

Does anyone think that adding Chair backs to the entire two main sides of the Cue would help bring the AE tour. to Albany?

It may or may not help but it would not hurt and I think more chairbacks should be added anyway.

You would lose at least 500, if not 1000 seats if you chairbacked both sides...EASILY.

Does anyone think that adding Chair backs to the entire two main sides of the Cue would help bring the AE tour. to Albany?

It may or may not help but it would not hurt and I think more chairbacks should be added anyway.

You would lose at least 500, if not 1000 seats if you chairbacked both sides...EASILY.

You would not lose that many. My understanding is right now we have room for 5,000 but can only sell 4600 because of fire codes and exits or whatever. If that is true put in more chairbacks to keep capacity at 4600. Maybe chairbacks on the lower half of the sections 150, 250 and 550.

To take this question out of the purely theoretical, I think the UAlbany administration was considering putting in a bid to host the tournament when BUNY received it the first year. UAlbany's record had not been good beforehand. We hadn't even won a single tournament game by that point, which I don't know might even relevant to the hosting question. Then the EVents Center opened, and our bid became much weaker.

You would not lose that many. My understanding is right now we have room for 5,000 but can only sell 4600 because of fire codes and exits or whatever. If that is true put in more chairbacks to keep capacity at 4600. Maybe chairbacks on the lower half of the sections 150, 250 and 550.

Bob...what are you talking about. IT IS BASIC CONSTRUCTION ISSUES...and NOTHING TO DO WITH FIRE CODES. We have room for more than 5000 (in fact, I would venture to say that on certain dates we have had closer to 5200 in the building. But that is with SRO and Courtside. The seats themselves seat 4538. We added about 100-200 more with courtside. Forgeting all that for a moment, the construction issue is a SIZE ISSUE.

The seats w/o chairbacks are probably 4-6 inches SMALLER than those with chairbacks when you consider the added hardware. When BU retrofitted their arena with all chairbacks I believe they went from capacity of 3000...to 2000.

This...is just commonsense. It is also an issue with the team I loathe...the Red Sox. At one point they asked major league baseball for a stipend if they retrofitted the seats to make them larger...because they were going to lose capacity and thus they looked at other sites in the city to build fresh...while MLB wanted them to keep Fenway.

If we take out both sides of the RACC and put in all chairbacks, SIZE ISSUES (because of hardware) will have you LOSE CAPACITY. It's pretty simple. Now you could probably cheat...but then arm rests would narrow the chairs and you would get Fenway complaints (seats are too narrow for larger people).

The only way to truly add chairbacks...and keep capacity would be a flat out arena expansion...or a manufacturer who can defy the laws of math, physics, and basic tenets of construction.

Archived