UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

gifford

I got a lot of problems with Brent Gifford. He needs to rebound better and play some D, with out fouling people. It pains me to see Jamar sky over him for a rebound. I thought we were gonna have a legit big man this year. Im glad Will put in Jimmie, he gives full effort.

I absolutely think he is giving full effort; he wouldn't be playing at all if he didn't. Having played college ball myself, I can attest to how hard it is to be 18-years old and playing at the college level (IMHO, only special athletes can jump right in and contribute). He has lost a great deal of weight since joining the Division I ranks and as coach has said numerous times, he, like many of the younger players, will benefit greatly from off-season weight work. Simply being taller than most other players is not enough. At 6'2", and 165 lbs. when I played college hoops, I often got shoved around by players under 6'0" because they were older and had done more time in the weightroom (or were just stronger than me). Conversely, at times, I was the one who was able to be physical down low in the paint with players who were 6'5" and 6'6" because they were even more of a stick than I was at that time.

As far as fouling goes, when the feet and hands get quicker through normal physical maturation and weightroom work, I think we'll see less fouls more time and contribution. Fouls often result from not being able to keep up with the quicker pace/moves of the player that one is guarding. From what I have read, Zoelner (sp?) went through this same process.

-Just my $.02

It is the fact that his athletic ability is lacking. He looks nervous every time the ball comes his way. In the student section, the crowd just hopes he does not make a mistake when he comes in. If he does something good, it is just a bonus. As far as becoming a better defender, maybe it will happen, but he needs to improve. Get better hands so he can slam down the ball, instead of always getting the ball ripped away from him. I hope he becomes the best UA center ever.

I definitely hear what you're saying. Let's hope for the best! A front court makeup featuring a bulked-up Gifford, J.C., Connolly (sp?), B. Wilson, and Ross (plus whoever else) would be really sweet next year! I think we'll get better and better in the front court over the next few years because we're so young up front (B. Wilson is a junior, as is Lillis), but, of course, we lose our PG (Wilson) and SG/SF (Siggers) after this year.

I definitely hear what you're saying. Let's hope for the best! A front court makeup featuring a bulked-up Gifford, J.C., Connolly (sp?), B. Wilson, and Ross (plus whoever else) would be really sweet next year! I think we'll get better and better in the front court over the next few years because we're so young up front (B. Wilson is a junior, as is Lillis), but, of course, we lose our PG (Wilson) and SG/SF (Siggers) after this year.

It would be nice as Both Jimmie and Gifford develop to see a nice 1-2 punch in the middle---10 fouls to give are better than 5.

reminds me of the rotation Joe B. Hall had at Kentucky in the late '70's with a 3 center rotation--Rick Robey, a kid named Phillips and another guy. Joe B. used to say having 3 centers with 15 fouls to give is better than one with 5. With that up front you can really bang.

I got a lot of problems with Brent Gifford. He needs to rebound better and play some D, with out fouling people. It pains me to see Jamar sky over him for a rebound. I thought we were gonna have a legit big man this year. Im glad Will put in Jimmie, he gives full effort.

On the positive side--Brett has shown glimpses of what he can become. With some time in the weight room, and working with Coach Filen and his teammates, he will develop. He has 3 more years and the rest of this season. remember what Kirsten Zoellner looked like in his first season? It is refreshing to be having this conversation---I remember a time when we were totally devoid of size and had nothing up front. apologies to Joe Vukovic, Karim Ouattara and Chris Wyatt

Pup, I think you are slightly out of line and way to critical. I don't know if you had the chance to see Gifford during the Siena game but if you didn't he absolutely abused Haddix on several occasions inside and had I think something like 6 or 8 points in a span of a few minutes. Keep in mind that it was in front of the biggest crowd he's ever seen. I think most if not all of us thought/hoped he would be a little more productive then he has been, but with the emergence of Covington he has a little more time to mature and putting pressure on him to do so immediately probably isn't gona help him. It's been already said, but when he came in he was probably overweight and not very strong, first part of the reconstruction of his body has already happened he has lost the unnecessary weight, during the summer I suspect he will be getting back some of that weight but in muscle. Keep in mind that the adjustment for a big man is much more acute then it would be for a guard. It's plain to see that the kid has talent as his frame is suited for more muscle and he has nice inside moves and can step out and hit the jumper. It's been hard to get any kind of rhythm for him because he gets inconsistent minutes of the bench but I for one see great things in him. He has all the intangibles, hight, fairly quick for a big man, decent jumper and decent inside moves and most importantly looks like he wants to get better and eager to learn (watch him when Coach Brown talk to him, he's very focused on whats being said). Once he bulks up, calms down and gets comfortable in his role I suspect he will do great things here. Also of note, coach had/has a very good opinion of him and actually I think called him the most important recruit since Jamar. I think coach Brown has shown himself to be an astute judge of talent and character so I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Patience is in order for all of us.

I second that support, based on Gifford's playing of Haddix. I also think Gifford, down low, has a pretty quick move and an excellent touch, a soft shot for a guy his size. I'm hopeful that the Gifford we see in November 07 is going to be a lot more imposing on both ends.

Does anyone remember the foul trouble Kirsten use to get in during his first year playing for us?

The good thing about the Danes program now is that young players now have time to learn and adjust. No more Jamar, Iati and Levi years when we were forced to play them and live with their mistakes.

They all played well for the situation they were in, but look at the team's record for their freshman seasons. Our expectations were quite low, not so now.

I think this season has been very beneficial to Brett as he now truly knows what it will take for him to play at this level.

He's young, he's lost alot of weight, he'll get physically stronger and he has a nice touch.

For me it's a wait and watch situation, I would like to have had more production from him this season but with big guys you have to be patient.

Like Jimmy Covington and Brian Connelly I think Brett's Soph season he'll show marked improvement from his freshman season.

IMO, we need to remember that he is a freshman - and he wasn't a consistent starter in HS until his senior year. He appears to have some good low post moves and a soft touch - certainly needs to work on a few things. He is also working on his conditioning and that will take some time - maybe the off season.

I also believe that maybe the expectations were too big - not much upside when you're tagged as the most important recruit to the program since Jamar. Even if it's true, that puts a lot of pressure on the kid.

I still see Gifford developing into a solid player. he is only a frosh. Yes, at times he struggles and looks lost. However, I don't think it's for a lack of effort. He has also shown some nice moves. The rest of his game will take time to develop and I'm confident the coaches can build him up.

I don't think he looks lost much at all. He is certainly feeling the effects of losing all that weight and conditioning. I've seen plenty of attributes, which when he gets his strength up will manifest into some great numbers. He reminds people of the early Zoellner, which I take as an excellent sign. Zoellner was a 4th year junior, Gifford is a freshman. If he improves as much as covington has, and if Jimmie keeps improving at the same rate, we're going to have 2 very solid centers, which is a luxury most teams in our league do not have.

I don't think he looks lost much at all. He is certainly feeling the effects of losing all that weight and conditioning. I've seen plenty of attributes, which when he gets his strength up will manifest into some great numbers. He reminds people of the early Zoellner, which I take as an excellent sign. Zoellner was a 4th year junior, Gifford is a freshman. If he improves as much as covington has, and if Jimmie keeps improving at the same rate, we're going to have 2 very solid centers, which is a luxury most teams in our league do not have.

note my previous Joe B. Hall reference

I agree with Alum73. When you pay attention to the details, you'll see that he actually moves quite well, much smoother than Kirsten did, and I think he has better hands and softer shot. As most have already mentioned, he now needs to rebuild his body which will happen, much of it over the next year. This reminds in many ways of the service acadamies' approach where they tear you down physically and mentally in the plebe year and then rebuild you to their mold. Think back to last year with Jimmie Covington. He had trouble moving his feet, hanging onto the ball, and fouled a lot. Now look at the progress he has made in one year. Gifford will get there too and you can see the potential if you pay attention to the details of his play.

Archived