UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Lonergan on Wylands show

- Doesn't buy this "underdog" mentality supposedly put on by UA

- Doesn't buy Will's rooting for UVM over UMBC because he wants to play up in Burlington. Said that any coach, team or fans would want to host the game in their building. I agree with him on this point, I think Will puts his foot in his mouth on this one.

- Said that UA has really picked up their defense, singled out Ross as really bringing it on defense. I should think Ross will play big minutes of the bench Saturday. Will probably shadow Trimboli alot.

- Made a comment that Jamar is a very classy guy, he voted for him for the POY. Said that Jamar comes of as a nice kid, smart and "doesn't put his foot in this mouth" possible rip on Will.

Didn't really give much to be bantered about except for the Will Brown stuff. Apparently Tom Brennen called him with the quote and they had a chuckle. I think he's kind of right, it was kind of a stupid comment by Will.

I think Coach Brown also said it was the best for the conference to have the two best teams (Albany and UVM) in the final. I agree with him about that. It would have been nice for the UMBC upset but this just seems to be the way it was supposed to be and I have no problem with it as long as I have tickets to Patrick Gym on Saturday.

I don't usually get all too frustrated with people's comments here, but I really can't understand why people don't like it when Coach Brown says what he really believes. Especially in DI/pro sports, most comments from coaches and players really just seem to be enough fluff to make the person asking the question content. Whether it's through his blog, talking with reporters, or just his conversations with us fans, it's rare to see a person in Coach Brown's position actually answer questions how he truly feels. And in my opinion, it's extremely refreshing and something we are very lucky to have with Will Brown.

Specifically with the thought of playing UVM or UMBC, of course Coach Brown would have loved to be able to play another game this season at SEFCU. But I think his desire to play (and beat) UVM was stronger than his desire to play another home game. Unfortunately playing UVM means that we can't play at SEFCU. For any of us who have played any level of sports (whether it be college, high school or even rec league), I'd think your competative nature would hope for another chance to play/beat a team that you truly feel you have the ability to beat. With our two losses to UVM this season, especially the one in Albany, I completely understand Coach Brown's desire to avenge this season's UVM losses...especially with a trip to the big dance on the line.

Well said Young Jedi.

Too many people want others to be politically correct with speech. Look, of course Will wanted that home game...but this is going to make for GREAT TV. Additionally, these guys are chomping at the bit to get the FINAL AE MONKEY OFF THEIR BACKS: WINNING AT UVM.

Jamar said it best. He (we) have done it all but beat the Catamounts in Burlington.

I, for one, am feeling good about this team and the Coaches right now.

I like our chances.

For what it's worth, most of the time I'm fine with Will's comments and I've defended him on numerous occasions. I was fine with his comments about the refs in the last meeting etc. IMO this is not one of those times, there will be other times to get the monkey of our back. I'm fine with going to Burlington and I also have a very good feeling about this weekend but I think it was a weird comment to make. It would have been better if Vermont got knocked off, we would once again have a nationally televised game in our building with the majority of the fans in the building rooting for us, and would have a better chance to reach the NCAA's. I like our chances but still.....playing UMBC and playing UVM is not the same thing.

I understand the point about being a competitor and avenging the losses earlier in the season but why say that UA gave them the game. Even if it is true and we did give them the game with the two Iati turnovers, he should be smarter then that, don't motivate the other team by making comments like that. That quote will be plastered all over the place in Burlington, you might say fine, so be it, but I'm an advocate of keeping it on the DL in situations like this. Keep your mouth shut for the most part and work your ass of to get the results then talk. I don't know, maybe it's just my personality, when I feel like I've underachieved or didn't perform up to par I don't talk, I get my ass in gear and grind it out so the next time there's no questioning the outcome. Let results speak for themselves.

I appreciate his candor about the scheduling (even though I didn't agree with it) or the officiating in the last UVM game (I agree with). But when you give the other team something to rally around you are doing your own team a disservice. I think coach Brown is a tremendous competitor and his insatiable desire to win sometimes get the better of him and he says things thats he might not say. Again, most of the time I find his comments refreshing and spot on, there have only been one or two instances where for what it's worth I didn't think he needed to say something. I know this position might not be very popular but thats how I feel.

Well said Young Jedi.

Too many people want others to be politically correct with speech. Look, of course Will wanted that home game...but this is going to make for GREAT TV. Additionally, these guys are chomping at the bit to get the FINAL AE MONKEY OFF THEIR BACKS: WINNING AT UVM.

Jamar said it best. He (we) have done it all but beat the Catamounts in Burlington.

I, for one, am feeling good about this team and the Coaches right now.

I like our chances.

I think it is reasonable to think that Coach Brown said what he meant. Further evidence of this is the fact that Jamar echoed those same thoughts in his post-game comment on Sunday, stating that he has one thing yet to be accomplished (winning at the Patrick Gym). If we were players and felt that we handed the game to them last month and felt that we were capable of beating Vermont, wouldn't it at least be reasonable to want to go up there and stick it to them in front of their own crowd? I would! At least that position is not unreasonable. Apparently, the VMT coach thinks it's unreasonable to think along the lines of wanting to go win it on the other team's court. And I disagree with the Vermont coach.

Remember, UA was right with Vermont in each game this year and up 5 points on Vermont at home. We'll also have a lot more fans and support at this game in VMT than the one earlier in the year, right? (not to mention the cheerleaders and pepband!) I think the game is going to be very close and a lot of fun!

I understand the point about being a competitor and avenging the losses earlier in the season but why say that UA gave them the game. Even if it is true and we did give them the game with the two Iati turnovers, he should be smarter then that, don't motivate the other team by making comments like that. That quote will be plastered all over the place in Burlington, you might say fine, so be it, but I'm an advocate of keeping it on the DL in situations like this. Keep your mouth shut for the most part and work your ass of to get the results then talk. I don't know, maybe it's just my personality, when I feel like I've underachieved or didn't perform up to par I don't talk, I get my ass in gear and grind it out so the next time there's no questioning the outcome. Let results speak for themselves.

I appreciate his candor about the scheduling (even though I didn't agree with it) or the officiating in the last UVM game (I agree with). But when you give the other team something to rally around you are doing your own team a disservice. I think coach Brown is a tremendous competitor and his insatiable desire to win sometimes get the better of him and he says things thats he might not say. Again, most of the time I find his comments refreshing and spot on, there have only been one or two instances where for what it's worth I didn't think he needed to say something. I know this position might not be very popular but thats how I feel.

I think when you're playing for the championship and NCAA berth, these comments have no effect. No one on either team is going to play any harder because of them.

bosiydid - Your opinions and comments are fine but Coach Brown is Coach Brown and he says what he feels is necessary to say.

I understand the point about being a competitor and avenging the losses earlier in the season but why say that UA gave them the game. Even if it is true and we did give them the game .........
1. If someone else knocked off UVM and UA was to win the AE Brown probably would find it a shallow victory.

2. It seems to me Brown wants to beat the best to be the best.

3. Don't you realize Brown realizes the reception he will get at Patrick Gymnasium and I don't think it bothers him at all.

he should be smarter then that, don't motivate the other team by making comments like that

1. Brown, I think is alot smarter then you give him credit for. Check his educational resume and check his basketball resume.

2. If either team needs motivation they're in big trouble.

That quote will be plastered all over the place in Burlington, you might say fine, so be it, but I'm an advocate of keeping it on the DL in situations like this. Keep your mouth shut for the most part and work your ass of to get the results then talk.

1. If you truly believe in your abilities why not speak honestly and then be man enough to face up to the heat if you fall short of your goal.

Your opinion is just that , yours - and that's fine. Evidently your opinion and Coach Brown's is at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Frankly, there is no way Coach Brown could ever have said, "I was hoping UVM would be knocked off by someone else, because that would make our road to the tournament easier." Not publicly anyway.

His choices therefore were to essentially say,

1. 'bring 'em on'

or

2. say nothing at all

And there is logic in either one of those. In this specific case, though, I like what Coach Brown has done. The team is headed into a brawl with a known opponent essentially its equal physically. As I learned from a nasty South Bronx childhood, when the fight is inevitable, you might as well get yourself as worked up mentally as possible because that's how you best enter such a scrap.

UVM can put whatever they wish on their bulletin board. I want UVM to see Coach Brown leading a group of tough young men into their house looking tough, dangerous, and eager for the fight. In this case I think our Coach is absolutely correct - the preparation calls for instilling this type of attitude in the team. Sometimes its better to come off humble, but between now and Saturday is not that time.

When we played Boise State, then I'd have been surprised if Coach Brown made comments about how weak all of the Idaho schools are. I like that Coach Brown knows when to be modest and humble, and when to unleash the beast.

Archived