UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Chancellor Ryan to leave SUNY

ATL_DANE

I ran across this article this morning. What does this mean to UAlbany if anything? I hope this is not going to be a negative to moving along on initiaves such as a new stadium, which needs SUNY blessing.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/new...egion-apnewyork

I was just looking at the SUNY Board of Trustees. Something is somewhat bothersome to me....There is only one Trustee (not counting the student trustee) that even has an undergraduate degree from a SUNY school. There is one with an LLB from Buffalo.

That kind of bothers me.

I don't like that fact either. Non-SUNY alumni have a conflict of interest. The private college lobby has a vested interest in keeping New Yorkers thinking they have to spend $30k a year to get a good education and a great college experience. Marist, Siena, Fordham etc. have a lot to lose if SUNY becomes the first choice schools the way UGA, UF, CAL or Michigan is in those states. I would question their motives.

I don't like that fact either. Non-SUNY alumni have a conflict of interest. The private college lobby has a vested interest in keeping New Yorkers thinking they have to spend $30k a year to get a good education and a great college experience. Marist, Siena, Fordham etc. have a lot to lose if SUNY becomes the first choice schools the way UGA, UF, CAL or Michigan is in those states. I would question their motives.

Right on! Even if their motives are in the "right place," I still think we should have "one of us" for most or all of the spots on the Board.

Good riddance to Adm. Ryan, he was a tool when he was the interim at UA.

Let's hope that they tap another advocate for public education for the post.

You have to wonder if this ‘surprise’ is on the heels of all the problems at Stony Brook…

Hmmmm.

SSS!

You have to wonder if this ‘surprise’ is on the heels of all the problems at Stony Brook…

Hmmmm.

SSS!

I will respectfully disagree, simply based on my involved experience with him. More anecdotal than anything, but it was his go-ahead (while Interim Pres. here) that allowed the new lacrosse and field hockey fields to be built.

As an aside, current trustee Bob Bellafiore is a UAlbany alum (class of '82) and Celine Paquette, who was a trustee from 6/95-6/06 is also a UAlbany alum. The two passed a BOT congratulatory resolution for the Danes following their AE tourney win last year recognizing the fact that we were the first SUNY school to head to the DI men's NCAA Basketball Tournament.

While I definitely agree the Board should have more public Higher Ed respresentation, the members come from very diverse backgrounds and have many differing views/priorities, making it difficult to generalize them with a broad brush.

Hmmmm.

SSS!

Can you explain why you say he was a "tool." It had been my impression that Ryan was really popular with the student body when he was the interim President.

Again, I'm not familiar with the problems at SBU. Can you take the time to enlighten us?

Thanks.

Hmmmm.

SSS!

That was a dumb ass remark...and you dont know HOW MUCH he HELPED the Dane athletic program.

THIS MAN WAS THE BIGGEST PROPONENT OF THE STADIUM. We had a state official (Ryan) in our backpocket. He oversaw the upgrades at Marine Corps stadium (or whatever it was at Navy) and envisioned an overall athletic program for the Danes.

Jon...not sure what you are alluding too...but he WAS VERY POPULAR AT UA, among students and faculty.

Who knows WHAT this does to the stadium plans.

Hmmmm.

SSS!

Just to be clear, my post was not to push 'public education' if it means the old SUNY view of a watered down, easy admission, let everyone in, one size fits all approach to education. I hope that idea is long gone. That is exactly what props up the private schools. Most states have a tiered higher education approach, with the university center sitting on top of the pyramid. Albany being a university center should be one of those academically stringent schools. To tie this comment back to athletics, since this is an athletics board, schools with strong athletics programs tend to build a lot of interest and therefore a lot of demand for entrance. A strong UA or UB would not be good for schools like Fordham or Siena. Why pay $30k for a small school that will get you blank stares outside of NY if you can go to a brand name school. There is a reason that students fight to get into Ohio State, Florida or Virginia. Athletics and the college experience is part of that reason.

Hmmmm.

SSS!

I will respectfully disagree, simply based on my involved experience with him. More anecdotal than anything, but it was his go-ahead (while Interim Pres. here) that allowed the new lacrosse and field hockey fields to be built.

As an aside, current trustee Bob Bellafiore is a UAlbany alum (class of '82) and Celine Paquette, who was a trustee from 6/95-6/06 is also a UAlbany alum. The two passed a BOT congratulatory resolution for the Danes following their AE tourney win last year recognizing the fact that we were the first SUNY school to head to the DI men's NCAA Basketball Tournament.

While I definitely agree the Board should have more public Higher Ed respresentation, the members come from very deverse backgrounds and have many differing views/priorities, making it difficult to generalize them with a broad brush.

Interesting, sounds like a good board after all! Thanks for the info; I was not informed!

Hmmmm.

SSS!

That was a dumb ass remark...and you dont know HOW MUCH he HELPED the Dane athletic program.

THIS MAN WAS THE BIGGEST PROPONENT OF THE STADIUM. We had a state official (Ryan) in our backpocket. He oversaw the upgrades at Marine Corps stadium (or whatever it was at Navy) and envisioned an overall athletic program for the Danes.

Jon...not sure what you are alluding too...but he WAS VERY POPULAR AT UA, among students and faculty.

Who knows WHAT this does to the stadium plans.

I agree. It has to hurt to lose a man of his position that clearly supported our program. I'm hopeful that we will get another UA champion.

I missed Bob Bellafiore's degree in his bio. I just think that a board that is made up of SUNY grads (either undergrad or graduate work) can be just as diverse and not have the possible problems. I'm not saying this board is problematic, but there possibly clearly exists. Nothing to slight those on the board, but I think you can find equally qualified and diverse trustees with real life experience as SUNY students. Just my opinion.

"Ryan will step down at the end of May". Any chance we can get that stadium sign-off by then :D . Maybe a final act of generosity to UAlbany.

Archived