UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Looking Ahead/Two Transfers

I didn't see anything else about it on this forum, but Fox has both Yocum and Knight listed as "players looking for a new home" - transfers.

There was a thread a little while ago asking about what scholarships we had to give out to whoever it was Brown was out recruiting.

As it stands now, if the Fox link is accurate, we'd have 8 returning players - (1) Reid Anderson, (2) Brian Connelly, (3) Jimmie Covington, (4) Brett Gifford, (5) Jon Iati, (6) Brian Lillis, (7) Carl Ross, & (8) Brent Wilson.

Three new guys coming in brings us to 11 scholarships - (9) Billy Allen, (10) Tim Ambrose, (11) Anthony Raffa.

That leaves two scholarships open for this coming season? Any buzz/speculation on who they could be?

Any updates on Luke Weaver? Eion Lewis? Jason Johnson? Sean Evans?

1. Hate to see Knight leave. UMBC - Junior College - UA - ??? If he is leaving, I hope it's to go to a D2 or 3 program where he can get some playing time - he"ll be a senior so it might be his last chance to play competitive basketball.

2. Both Yocum and Knight are in a tough spot - they are down on the depth charts and it doesn't seem that they will get many minutes.

3. If there are to scholarships available, Tim Ambrose should get one. I can't be convinced that a kid that is supposedly as good as he is would walk on - even if most of his expenses are paid. If he does walk on - that's a red flag to me.

4. IMO, the biggest priority is a wing player that can create his own shot - maybe a jc transfer? Assuming Gilliam gets to campus, he'll probably assume that role in the future. IMO, the other might be a post player - need some insurance as Gifford and Covington continue to improve.

Pencil Turley in for the starting line up, at very least quality minutes right away. He seems like a more polished and athletic Covington and if Will lured him up to Albany, especially from the way he is singing his praises in that update on his website, Will is wispering big dream in Turley's ear and I really think they can come true.

Turley should help Albany transition into a more set offense, guys moving around finding open shots, because unless someone turns into Jamar who with 6 seconds on the shotclock and no options in offense blow by someone, spin around the help man and scissor kick for the left hang off the glass..

Pencil Turley in for the starting line up, at very least quality minutes right away. He seems like a more polished and athletic Covington and if Will lured him up to Albany, especially from the way he is singing his praises in that update on his website, Will is wispering big dream in Turley's ear and I really think they can come true.

Turley should help Albany transition into a more set offense, guys moving around finding open shots, because unless someone turns into Jamar who with 6 seconds on the shotclock and no options in offense blow by someone, spin around the help man and scissor kick for the left hang off the glass..

I don't see him starting right away....let's see what he can do. The same for all the incoming Freshmen. I know we get all excited by their High School exploits, and what other schools recruited them. The same goes for Raffa and Allen.

From all I've read and heard Turley is probably our #3 option right now at the 5.

He's supposedly more offensively advanced then Covington and Gifford.

He is supposedly bigger the Covington in height and girth

He's more athletic the Giff and Covington.

If Jimmy and Brett don't have a very good summer I would expect Turley to log real good minutes.

The two biggest negatives with Turley is his weight issues and he's a freshman.

Should be a very interestin pre season.

Well, looks like the math was off somewhere. Maybe, as someone suggested, Ambrose isn't counted as on scholarship?

In any case, here's what the roster looks like after spring recruiting. 14 on the roster. Could someone be red-shirted?

Pinned Recruit Thread.

Name [No.] [Position] [Ht.] [Wt.] [Yr.] Hometown (Previous School)

Allen, Billy [??] [G/F] [6-6] [210] [Fr.] Hamilton, OH (Hamilton H.S.) Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 3

Ambrose, Tim [??] [G] [6-0] [???] [Fr.] Brentwood, NY (Our Savior New American School) Thread 1 Thread 2

Anderson, Reid [11] [G/F] [6-5] [190] [so.] Avon Lake, Ohio (Lakewood St. Edward)

Connelly, Brian [33] [F] [6-8] [225] [Jr.] Audubon, N.J. (Camden Catholic)

Covington, Jimmie [42] [F/C] [6-7] [240] [Jr.] Chicago, Ill. (Morgan Park)

Gifford, Brett [54] [C] [6-11] [265] [so.] Columbia, Mo. (Rock Bridge)

Hastings, Jerel [??] [F] [6-5] [210] [Jr.] Dallas, TX (Lon Morris CC) Thread

Iati, Jon [14] [G] [5-9] [175] [sr.] York, Pa. (York Catholic)

Lillis, Brian [21] [G/F] [6-5] [220] [sr.] Urbandale, Iowa (West Des Moines Dowling)

Martin, Josh [??] [PG] [6-2] [175] [Fr.] Philadelphia, Pa. (Simon Gratz) Thread

Moores, Robert [??] [G] [6-2] [180] [so.] Pratt, KS (Pratt CC) Thread

Raffa, Anthony [??] [G] [6-1] [175] [Fr.] Strathmere, N.J. (Wildwood Catholic H.S.) Thread

Turley, Al [??] [F/C] [6-7] [280] [Fr.] Houston, TX (Westfield) Thread

Wilson, Brent [34] [F] [6-8] [240] [sr.] Cedar Rapids, Iowa (Prairie)

Redshirting would not open up a scholarship, the player sits out a year while developing and doesn't lose any eligibility and he remains as a scholarship player.

I think that someone redshirting is always a possibility but with the loss of Jamar and Jason there is alot to replace and the perimeter guys who were brought in weren't brought in to redshirt especially the recent ones.

Moores has already redshirted a year at Pratt. He has 3yrs to play three years.

Hastings has three years to play two but is the most athletic and offensive minded of the possible 3/2s who seemingly fits into Jason's spot. You rarely if ever here of a JC redruit redshirting unless it's for injury.

Ambrose already sat out this year.

Raffa has high expectations

Billy Allen seemingly is of the Brian Lillis mold. A big guard who is multi purpose and knows how to play.

Iati will be in his final year of eligibility.

Reid Anderson missed the end of last season but did show promise at times could redshirt but I would doubt it.

Ross will be a Sr.

There is no reason to redshirt a guy unless the guy needs time to develop and it will help the athlete and the program both.

Other then for injury it's usually true freshman that redshirt.

Just my opinion.

I also believe that we'll need to see what the new perimeter players are capable of for next year. We know what our current players can do, but with so many new players coming in, we'll have to see what they can do as well as how soon they can adapt to D1 and our schemes. That might identify someone to red shirt, but as injury can't be predicted, you might not want to red shirt, just for a numbers reason. This should make for some spirited practices.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived