UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Division IAA Football Stadium Capacities

Larger Stadium uses to consider:

*drawing top 25 D IAA football teams to the UAlbany stadium... the bigger and better, the more attractive we are, and the greater the possibility of hosting the likes of Delaware and Montana.

*landing special NCAA tournament events - currently we are ranked #4 in men's lacrosse and it certainly would have been nice to have had a respectable facility to have hosted the NCAA tournament game.

*concerts - bring on the STONES

Over the past few years, UAlbany has been greatly recognized.... and we continue to progress dramatically in most of our sports. Our field hockey team is also currently ranked in the national polls... #16 last week.... and don't be mistaken, they are drawing some serious attention to UAlbany as well.

We need to get a move on with this 2010 plan.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*drawing top 25 D IAA football teams to the UAlbany stadium... the bigger and better, the more attractive we are, and the greater the possibility of hosting the likes of Delaware and Montana.

*landing special NCAA tournament events - currently we are ranked #4 in men's lacrosse and it certainly would have been nice to have had a respectable facility to have hosted the NCAA tournament game.

Over the past few years, UAlbany has been greatly recognized.... and we continue to progress dramatically in most of our sports. Our field hockey team is also currently ranked in the national polls... #16 last week.... and don't be mistaken, they are drawing some serious attention to UAlbany as well.

Could a multi-purpose facility (stadium) and a new track (and Project 2010 generally) and field help with a bid to host the NYS Special Olympics and/or Empire State Games?

Section II playoffs in various high school sports?

Athletic camps for students (high school and younger)?

Just brainstorming here ...

Could a multi-purpose facility (stadium) and a new track (and Project 2010 generally) and field help with a bid to host the NYS Special Olympics and/or Empire State Games?

In my communication to Dr. McElroy, I had stated, among other things, that the stadium would be perfect for attracting public events like the Special Olympics, etc... and he responded that he had been using the idea of bringing the NYSSO to the University as a selling point...

Also, he said the decision from the SUNY board of trustees will come in March.... in regards to State funding for the stadium

We already do host the NYS Special Olympics. Have for at least the past 2 years.

In my communication to Dr. McElroy, I had stated, among other things, that the stadium would be perfect for attracting public events like the Special Olympics, etc... and he responded that he had been using the idea of bringing the NYSSO to the University as a selling point...

Also, he said the decision from the SUNY board of trustees will come in March.... in regards to State funding for the stadium

Nice, I didn't realize the NYS Special Olympics were here in Albany the past two years, but that's certainly a selling point, and good for Dr. M for thinking of that point. In Dr. M., I trust. :)

Does that mean it won't come in until the 2009 budget?

"Should the trustees endorse the plan, it would go to Gov. Eliot Spitzer, who then would decide whether to put the project in his budget request for 2008-09."

"State Sen. Neil Breslin, D-Bethlehem, said he would endorse UAlbany's project. The funding, he said, could be ready in time for the April 1 state budget deadline."

"Albany Mayor Jerry Jennings said he envisions a "great partnership" that would allow the city's scholastic teams to use the stadium and save taxpayers millions of dollars in improvements to municipal fields.

"As far as I'm concerned, it's long overdue we have a first-class stadium here," Jennings said."

Quotes taken from:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...&TextPage=1

I missed so much of that article when I first read it.

Kudos Mr. Breslin:

"I think if you want to have Albany compete with other state universities, it has to have an athletic complex that's fitting of being the state capital."

Here's a question that I cannot answer, but somebody on here might (Dane96 probably):

Is there a state authority in NY that can handle the financing of the stadium through a bond issuance? Isn't that what the NYS dormatory authority does?

I was just reading about Rutgers' Stadium and how it was built and apparently the New Jersey Sports and Entertainment Authority (or something like that) financed the stadium through a bond.

That is also how a lot of other stadiums get built.

P.S.:

Portia Lee is the Managing Director of Public Finance for Dormitory Authority of the State of New York. She is responsible for supervising and directing Authority bond issuance in the capital markets, through financial feasibility analysis and financing structure determination for Authority clients; as well as implementing and overseeing financing programs, including interest rate exchange and similar agreements. Ms. Lee previously served as Senior Investment Officer at the New York State Comptroller’s Office where she was responsible for assisting in the administration of the long-term fixed income portfolio of the New York State Common Retirement Fund, as well as the short-term portfolio, and the Securities Lending Program. From 1995 to 2005, Ms. Lee worked at Moody’s Investors Service where she most recently served as Vice President and Senior Credit Officer in the Public Finance Housing Group. In addition, Ms. Lee has extensive public service experience working for over 10 years in various positions in the Governor’s Office, NYS Department of Social Services, as well as the New York State Assembly. She holds a Bachelor’s degree from the State University of New York at Albany.

Ding...Ding...my friend. You have your answer! State Dorm authority floats low to zero interest bonds....and I presume some of our $$ will come from there...while donations cover the rest.

Either way, we will be financing the stadium...and the state will make some, but limited $ on the loan.

Can anyone show why a 20,000 seat stadium is necessary?

Some of you guys are talking "pie in the sky"?

10,000 seat expandable stadium would be good for UA football and any other athletic event possible, including a National Lacrosse championship or the HS sectional or state championships.

As far as concerts go how many concerts at the TUC are attended by over 10,000?

If the stadium is expandable to 20 or 25,000 that would be excellent for over the next decade or so.

I personally think if you shoot for the moon on this project you're going to shoot yourself in the foot.

The way some of you think, I guess we should expand the SEFCU to seat 20,000 because we may someday reach the stature of a Kentucky and in the mean time we can cover the empty sections with tarps like $iena at the TUC.

Does anyone know what activities Stony Brook runs at LaValle Stadium and what those attendance figures are?

In my opinion alot of what is being stated in this thread is pure BS.

Remember the old saying "Figures lie and Liars figure" - could that be appropriate for this thread?

With everything I've said I am in total support of full scholarship football and the building of an appropriate football stadium.

Hell it only cost a little more to go 1st class lets ask the state for $100,000,000

Did you include a check?

Archived