UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Division IAA Football Stadium Capacities

10,000 seat expandable stadium would be good for UA football and any other athletic event possible, including a National Lacrosse championship or the HS sectional or state championships.

Just curious, aren't the lacrosse championships generally played on artificial surfaces?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10,000 seat expandable stadium would be good for UA football and any other athletic event possible, including a National Lacrosse championship or the HS sectional or state championships.

If you want to hold the national lacrosse championship you'll need about 60-70 thousand seats. Not 15,000.

If you want to hold the national lacrosse championship you'll need about 60-70 thousand seats. Not 15,000.

I forgot that they drew in the 50s each year, so I guess that would be a hindrance. As for the surfaces, I tried to research it, but I found limited information. I know that recently it has been held at Raven's Stadium, which is artificial, but I am curious if anybody knows if turf is basically a requirement.

I stand corrected.

But 60-70,000 was an over statement too - this year was 48,000 which I believe was a record

I was closer, but if you are playing by Price is Right rules I lose for going over.

:D:P

On a serious note though. I think 12-15k is a good start, so long as its expandable to 20-25k without a major structural overhaul.

I am one person who does not want UAlbany to go FBS anytime soon. I've said it 100 times..I'd rather be Montana or Delaware than Buffalo.

Artificial turf isn't required for the regular season, because unlike field hockey the ball is in the air or in the crosse most of the time. But playing in the Northeast in the spring you'd better have turf. And the championship weekend includes Division II and III, so that's too many games for real grass in three days.

I think next year's lax championships are in Foxboro.

UofAlbany, you are using circular reasoning and do not help the cause by doing so and, you are not alone in thiis regard, you do not have a clear understanding of what UA is asking for.

First, by picking the largest stadiums you ARE skewing numbers.

Second, Albany capacity is actually 4500 fannies in the seats. 10,000 is fire code...like many of these stadiums.

Third, your data is OUTDATED, as is some on Pete's Poll (e.g. Dartmouth is about 12k now). Outdated data cannot support an argument.

Fourth, outside of Princeton, to use the Ivy's is just silly-- They were built nearly 80 years ago...different era.

Fifth, while the you simply say "i know they are municipal" when talking about community stadiums, you fail to point out that NONE of those were built with STATE funds. Hey, if Albany wants to build a 30k seat stadium...go right ahead. Not going to happen...EVER. The State does not owe Albany (the City) a stadium either.

Sixth, your use of LARGE stadiums to show capacity is like me telling you "Hey, you are going to make 100k...because alot of salespeople do." What I am not telling you is that only 2% of our ENTIRE population makes 100k. You are taking the rather FEW stadiums with large numbers, again...it is 11 Stadiums out of 121, when the MAJORITY of stadiums hover around 15k...and these stadiums are in FOOTBALL RICH AREAS!

Seventh, the proposal was ALWAYS for 10-15k seats...ALWAYS! Believe me on this when I say I have seen the proposal with my own two eyes. Furthermore, we have ALWAYS AIMED HIGH.

This stadium from the get was 10-15k with an expansion capability to 25k seats. Not sure what you mean by it, but UA is "AIMING HIGH."

Finally, the 62mm isnt just for a stadium-- The stadium is 32mm, and the expansion to the RACC (much like Conte Forum and Alumni Stadium at BC-- we used the same architects, Sazaki) and added buildings is going to be another 30, including the finishing of the lax fields.

As someone who worked in high level State govt in two states, I can tell you that we have to ASK HIGH...with the realistic expectation that we get about 3/4 of that. The rest...we can figure out and work with. If we got 2mm for the RACC naming...we can almost certainly expect 5mm for the stadium...because of the MULTIPLE USES it will get.

My issue here is...I GOT THE POINT...but your point isnt anything other than what UA's point has ALWAYS been.

Again, sending skewed numbers to polished politicos does not help our cause. It will end up in the garbage, unfortunately.

Not saying your heart isnt in the right place...IT IS...but circular reasoning cannot be used in a political fight such as this.

At this point, maybe I need to go into further detail of my correspondence with certain members of the community.

The collection of stadium capacity figures was a very small part of my offering... and it was clearly stated that these stadiums were among the higher capacities within in each subdivision.

My offering went into great detail about our University and its history, its academic strength and tradition, and our move into division I and IAA athletics and where the future may take the university. That was the primary focus of my contact.

First: The Skew would be applied to this batch of figures, if my intention was to mislead and state that it represented the entire championship subdivision.

Second: I would agree that 4500 seats is accurate, and with another 5k sitting around on the grass.

Third: Dartmouth's website states a seating capacity of 20k... not sure where you get 12k. And there were a few minor flaws in my numbers... but nothing that skewed the idea of what I was presenting. Again, I compiled those numbers over a year ago.

Fourth: I certainly respect the idea of everyone being entitled to an opinion. If Ivy league schools play their football games in old stadiums, it doesn't change the fact that they still have the same seating capacities, which is the focus.

Fifth: I have not stated that my ONLY correspondence was with government officials. On the contrary. And I have not stated that I expect the State of New York to fully pay for this stadium, or even a portion of it. Therefore, your discussing STATE funds and what was NOT built with those funds is fine, but has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

Sixth: Again, your interpretation of why I offered my stadium capacity figures is way off.... Regardless, I'm not sure of what point you are trying to make there. With any stadium we build, and with proper advertising and community awareness, the stadium will fill... if it's 10k and expandable, or if it's 20k and expandable.

Seventh: I realize the proposal was for 10-15k, and expandable... My point has been that we shoot for what is in the realm of possibility, but the very high end.. Too many times people seem to settle for mediocrity. By expressing interest in a larger stadium, one that may possibly be large enough to expand to appropriate levels in the future and to meet future goals, only expresses an opinion. What I've been told from the AD is that the actual seats will be determined at a later date, depending on the all costs involved, and funding. I don't want to settle for the low end, a 10k seat stadium that is only expandable to 20k... I'm just not interested in going that small, not for where I would like to see this football program go. If they need to start with a stadium that has only 10k seats, but is expandable to 30k+ , then that's another story.

Again, the capacity figures were only a sidenote of my correspondence... it was clearly stated that these stadiums were among the higher capacities within the subdivision. Almost the entire correspondence dealt with the University and its history, its academic strength and tradition, and our move into division I and IAA athletics and the future of UAlbany athletics.

What does help our cause with Polished Politicos is citizens in the capital district, alumni, adminstration and current students expressing support for a stadium... and to draw attention to the fine traditions and exceptional quality of education at our University.

It also helps to point out that athletics does bring the University, students, alumni, and community together.... and it certainly plays a role in who decides to apply for admissions. Strong athletics and quality facilities will not only attract highly qualified athletes, but high quality students as well. The bigger, the better.....can be applied here.

Thankfully, my numbers representing the higher capacity stadiums were only to demonstrate just that.... and were only a small fraction of my correspondence.

Dartmouth took out 6,000 seats to make room for a new building. The 2007 media guide says capacity is now 15,000 if you include temporary endzone seating. Permanent seats are now south of 13K

I know nobody wants to build too small, but mentioning any seating number starting with a '2' is counterproductive, smallbany can't get their minds around it. Better to keep that part secret.

"Seventh: I realize the proposal was for 10-15k, and expandable... My point has been that we shoot for what is in the realm of possibility, but the very high end.. Too many times people seem to settle for mediocrity. By expressing interest in a larger stadium, one that may possibly be large enough to expand to appropriate levels in the future and to meet future goals, only expresses an opinion. What I've been told from the AD is that the actual seats will be determined at a later date, depending on the all costs involved, and funding. I don't want to settle for the low end, a 10k seat stadium that is only expandable to 20k... I'm just not interested in going that small, not for where I would like to see this football program go. If they need to start with a stadium that has only 10k seats, but is expandable to 30k+ , then that's another story."

You have a very valid point here. Just look at current facilities. We have an indoor and outdoor track which are not sdequate to hold a meet on. Our basketball floor was too hard and had to be replaced. The RACC, now SEFCU has inadequate concession, meeting, and excercise facilities for the size of the campus and crowds attending events. It's happened too many times to ignore the real possibility of cutting corners again. I think that's why the current plan is to spend 60 million. It will hopefully correct some of these current deficiencies as well as build a nice stadium.

I forgot that they drew in the 50s each year, so I guess that would be a hindrance. As for the surfaces, I tried to research it, but I found limited information. I know that recently it has been held at Raven's Stadium, which is artificial, but I am curious if anybody knows if turf is basically a requirement.

If I remember correctly The championship was held 2 straight years at Raven stadium.and the first year it had grass and the second year it had field turf.

I stand corrected.

But 60-70,000 was an over statement too - this year was 48,000 which I believe was a record

They have been drawing 40K to 50K recently(since 04 I think) and playing in 60K to 70 K NFL Stadiums. The last 5 or 6 (03 or 04 -08) including 08 scheduled in the patriots stadium have been in the NFL homes of the Ravens, Eagles and now patriots.

With a 15,000 -20,000 seat stadium you could get a QF which have been recently held at or are scheduled to be Stony Brook, Hofstra, Navy, Cornell, Towson and Johns Hopkins.

Anyone remember the capacity of Stony Brook for example.

I have to say I LOVE THIS THREAD! It is great to see the excitement. 10K-15K is all we need. It can be expandable if you wish but if we are able to put 12K fannies in 12,000 seats at every home game with 63 kids on scholarships then MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!!! And my work here is done. Maybe I will win the Nobel Prize for my efforts here or was that because I discovered the internet...anyways I digress. If the above scenario happens by 2010 like projected then I will get my box every year and sit back with several Coors lights and wings from Across the Street Pub and complain on Big Purple Fans that we don't beat Montana by enough points!

I have read the posts and I find it nearly an impossible dream that UA will go FBS (Dane 96 correct me If I am wrong). I would love it make no bones about it but like many posters said lets be realistic. I am content with being an FCS power that plays an occasional FBS game ...see Delaware or UMASS.

I have to say I LOVE THIS THREAD! It is great to see the excitement. 10K-15K is all we need. It can be expandable if you wish but if we are able to put 12K fannies in 12,000 seats at every home game with 63 kids on scholarships then MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!!! And my work here is done. Maybe I will win the Nobel Prize for my efforts here or was that because I discovered the internet...anyways I digress. If the above scenario happens by 2010 like projected then I will get my box every year and sit back with several Coors lights and wings from Across the Street Pub and complain on Big Purple Fans that we don't beat Montana by enough points!

I have read the posts and I find it nearly an impossible dream that UA will go FBS (Dane 96 correct me If I am wrong). I would love it make no bones about it but like many posters said lets be realistic. I am content with being an FCS power that plays an occasional FBS game ...see Delaware or UMASS.

Ruler, I will be wiping spittle from your lips...while holding onto my cane...before we go FBS!

Archived