UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Raffa Update

Haggy,

I like you am very interested in Aronhalt. I would like to know what position he will be able to play? We he be able to defend 2s or will he be more suited as a small 3?

I'm also very interested to see if Lindfors will be physicall able to contribute next season, it appears he has solid skils but he looks weak. If he was 30lbs heavier he probably wouldn't be coming to UA, he'd be going higher.

Logan looks like he has taken the extra time to get the "college body" while still in high school, which is a testament to his commitment.

Lindfors may have to go through some of the Gifford growing pains to put his weight on, but he is probably starting with less baby fat.

Raffa going to prep school and playing in a system of stricter ball control may turn out to the best thing for him and UA.

Good days ahead.

When they say a guy is a 2 or a 3 in high school I almost always guess they'll be a 3 in college just because the players are quicker when you move up a level. I'll gladly be wrong on Aronhalt about this although if he has guard skills and plays the 3 spot I'd be pretty happy with that also. One of the things I can't get used to this year is Connelly at the 3. Taking the freshman out of the equation I'd guess (hope) Connelly moves to the 4 next year.

When they say a guy is a 2 or a 3 in high school I almost always guess they'll be a 3 in college just because the players are quicker when you move up a level. I'll gladly be wrong on Aronhalt about this although if he has guard skills and plays the 3 spot I'd be pretty happy with that also. One of the things I can't get used to this year is Connelly at the 3. Taking the freshman out of the equation I'd guess (hope) Connelly moves to the 4 next year.

I'd like to see us with a 3 who can penetrate and also shoot from outside -- i.e., Reid Anderson, Jerel Hastings, Billy Allen, Aronhalt, etc.

That would leave us with the nasty backcourt trio, and in no particular order, of Ambrose, Martin, and Raffa! Obviously, guys can't play all 40 minutes, so it will be a luxury for us to have potentially 2 point guards in Raffa and Martin. We're going to need it: We saw how pressure on the ball (especially during the Siena game) affects us.

Also, we could play all three guards at once next year if need be. That could be really exciting. Martin is 6'2" and has size, and Raffa, I think, plays taller than he is because of his toughness and effort. Ambrose, on the other hand, not only plays above the rim, but he plays up in outer space too, so he can do whatever is asked of him in the backcourt; meaning, I'm not too worried if a guy has a few inches on him. :) And maybe Aronhalt can go between the 2 and 3 positions depending on the matchups.

I'd like to see us with a 3 who can penetrate and also shoot from outside -- i.e., Reid Anderson, Jerel Hastings, Billy Allen, Aronhalt, etc. - UA_MA_2000

I don't know if you can consider any of those you have listed - as 3s who can penetrate and also shoot outside.

Reid just has played much in his 2 years here (illness, injury), Jerel has primarily been a defender, Billy Allen none of us have seen him play and Aronhalt hasn't finished his HS season yet.

If you are going on the idea of judging - percieved potential - every recruit would then be great - all coaching staffs bring in recruits they think can play.

I can't make the home game vs. BU...I am not happy about this-- I want to send off IATI, LILLIS, and WILSON.

However, I may try to make this game. It is about 45 from my house...max.

NERR says NEPSAC Class "A" (Top Class) is at

Endicott College, Beverly, MA

Sunday at 7pm

(Other gamea are going on at that site every 2 hours starting at 11:00am)

Raffa should be ready to play next year. The year in prep is always good for high school players, especially so in Raffa's case since he played in a lower Division in high school. The jump from prep to D1 is much less than say his HS league to D1.

Not only does he get to play against future D1 players just about every game, it gives him a year to adjust to a higher level of play. These prep schools travel quite a bit, so they get used to traveling by bus, not sleeping in their bed etc, balancing study habits etc. plus the added year of mental and physical growth really helps

From New England Recruiting Report

Just for reference:

Trey Blue - committed to Fordham

Mark Lyons - Xavier

Anthony Crater - Ohio St.

Emmanuel Negedu - Arizona

Class A – Brewster Academy 69 Winchendon 65 – Overtime

The final game of the day left nothing left to be desired as it was a match-up for the ages. In an extremely entertaining game Winchendon fought back from a 14 point second half deficit to take their first lead of the game on an Anthony Raffa pull-up with under four minutes to play. On the next possession Trey Blue nailed a three-pointer to regain the lead for Brewster 52-50. This sequence would become common down the stretch as Raffa and Blue made big play after big play for their respective teams as the lead went back and forth through the final three minutes of regulation. For Raffa it was a series of mid-range pull-ups and a spinning lay-up with about 45 seconds left in the game. For Blue it was two dagger three-pointers, including one at the end of a diagrammed play coming out of a time-out, and a huge steal at the defensive end. Ultimately, the first 40 minutes came down to a single possession as Brewster had a chance to win the game with the score tied at 57. But when a Mark Lyons three-point attempt hit the back of the rim the game was sent to overtime.

The first crucial play of the extra period came with 2:30 left on the clock when Anthony Crater found Kellen Thornton alone under the basket. Thornton was able to lift Romeric Lasme with a short shot fake before crashing into the Winchendon big man to earn the three-point play. Not only did this give Brewster a 63-59 lead, but it also fouled out Lasme who had played a tremendous game to that point showing off his athleticism and perhaps most importantly battling Emmanuel Negedu inside. But Winchendon would still not quit as consecutive transition baskets by Raffa and Larry Anderson evened the score at 63 heading into the game’s final minutes. That is when Negedu took over.

On Brewster’s next possession Negedu tracked down a long offensive rebound coming off a missed three-point attempt, when his put back attempt from 6 feet bounced off the rim he again chased down the offensive rebound and converted his second put back to give his team a 65-63 advantage. But Raffa made yet another play on the offensive end, earning a trip to the foul line where he evened the game at 65. Now, with under 30 seconds left to play, Brewster looked for their big man. Negedu was able to get open on the right block, took a power dribble through the lane, and simply muscled the ball into the basket to give Brewster another 2 point advantage. With 9 seconds left in the game Winchendon had one final chance to tie the score. Raffa caught the ball about 25 feet from the basket and began to put the ball on the floor and attack. But Trey Blue rotated off his man, got his left hand on the ball to knock it away, collected the loose ball, and threw it ahead to Mark Lyons for a break-away dunk that sealed Brewster’s Class A title 69-65.

Ultimately it was a tremendously hard fought and well played game by both teams. While numerous players shined on both sides, at the end of the day Anthony Raffa, Trey Blue, and MVP Emmanuel Negedu all came up with late game heroics to make this a memorable finish to the NEPSAC season.

How great is it that this kid kept his word and inked the LOI again. Of the three players we have coming, I think I'm most curious to see him play.

Don't forget Billy Allen and Reid Andersen should be adding to the youthful influx.

I'm anxious to see Billy Allen in action. I think next year is going to be really exciting.

I noticed in one of the above-linked articles that Raffa is listed at 5'10" -- is that correct? I thought 6'1" for some reason ... .

According to Coach Brown's Blog (today) "Anthony was the leading scorer in the game with 24.

He was playing against a team with 4 kids going A10+ next season and a JR who is supposedly a High Major prospect.

It sounds like he can play a little and I like hearing he has a solid mid range game.

Archived