UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Raffa Update

Raffa played in the Spaulding Hoophall Classic Today, maybe the premier high school in-season tourney. His team went up against one of the best in the country, Patterson Prep (N.C.).

Sharing PG duties, Raffa scored 10 pts (third best on the team), going up against Arkansas super-recruit Courtney Forsten.

http://highschoolsports.masslive.com/game/.../players/84943/

Patterson also has a UConn and New Mexico recuit. Those prep school are amazing: the front line of the Patterson roster is

3 guys listed at 6'8

6'9

6'10

and of course a 7 footer. How many college teams have that kind of size?

Raffa also had six assists yesterday.

Spalding Hoophall Classic Notes From Sunday

by Phil Kasiecki

Winchendon Almost Knocks Off No. 1 Team

The Patterson School has won a number of big games this season en route to being ranked atop a national prep school poll voted on by several writers. (Full disclosure: I am one of the voters.) On Sunday, they got all they could handle from a Winchendon team that has been playing better basketball of late, and they had to hold off the Green Wave to take home the win.

Winchendon turned several run-outs early on into a good lead, but they couldn't build on it as Patterson gradually rallied and tied the game at halftime. The Bulldogs then took the lead early in the second half and held on late in the game for the win................................

Albany signee Anthony Raffa (6'0" Sr. PG) had 10 points to go with six rebounds and six assists. He's a tough, solid point guard with a real leader mentality, and with above-average quickness he should be a contributor right away next season.

• 3 weeks later...

From the HoopScoop Friday Feb 8th.....

It's evident that Raffa is playing against some talented players!!!!

.........The next game was anticlimactic due to the fact that 7'2 John Riek from Winchendon (School) MA was injured and, as a result, missing in action. If you will recall, Riek also was injured and didn't play in November at the National Prep Showcase in Lowell, MA. Instead, Winchendon's best players once again were 6'1 Anthony Raffa, who finished with 13 points and five assists and did a good job of running the show and 6'5 Larry Anderson, who had 13 points and nine rebounds and is one of those high energy guys that uses his toughness and athleticism to make things happen inside, but projects as a perimeter player down the road due to his lack of height. The best player for Rise Academy was 6'7 Chris Cantino, who finished with 21 points and eight rebounds and did a good job of using his long arms arms, big time athleticism, and explosive moves to the basket. Cantino also had plenty of help inside from 6'9 James Cotton and 6'9 Soph Steele Davis also combined for 15 points and 11 rebounds and this explains why Rise Academy was right there until the bitter end before losing 61-59 to Winchendon.

• 2 weeks later...
this kid is going to be something special on and off the court...no question

Great article on the kid. Looks like he has come a long way in the year after high school. He also looks like he can address some of UA's needs more effectively than if he had started to play right away.

I like how Brown calls him the best player on his current squad. Then the article backs up the claim two ways. (I'm quite sure if there were a UVM player on the same team, however, we'd be hearing about Brown's latest disrespect toward them.) :P

For what it's worth!?

On HoopScoops Top 100 5th Year Players - Raffa jumped up to # 55 in the update Feb 21st rankings.

I believe he was previously #70

That's a big jump especially for someone committed to UA, usualyy the big jumps this late in the recruiting year happen when players are committed to BCS type schools.

From the NERR (New England Recruiting Report) dated Feb 9th

Anthony Raffa – Winchendon (Winchendon, MA): Wow did Albany get a steal here. Like Anderson, he is tough as nails and a versatile guard who can do a number of things well. On Friday he ran the point and had a solid 13 points and 6 assists.

From the NERR (New England Recruiting Report) dated Feb 9th

Anthony Raffa – Winchendon (Winchendon, MA): Wow did Albany get a steal here

I love seeing these reports, but I have to admit that I am personally more excited to see Logan next year.

The preceding post was just a pointless expression of a personal preference, and nothing more.

Archived