UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coach, Please!

I was a little more than disappointed in Coach Browns comments in the TU yesterday. I don't have the exact quote but it was along the lines of ... If I were a fan, I wouldn't come to watch this team play.

This may have been intended to inspire the team, but this is a program that is trying to build a fan base and was published on the top story, above the fold, in a newspaper read by at least a dozen people. We all love Coach's honesty but honesty doesn't mean say whatever comes into your mind. I'm not saying this is a big deal and don't want it blown out of proportion but he needs to think before saying something like that to a TU reporter. I'm suprised they didn't make it the headline.

With regard to Coach's post-game remark against Maine, summarized and set out above, I suppose my reaction to the comment was different in that I thought it was Coach simply trying to share in the fans' frustration (empathy, if you will). Of course, we all -- fans and coaches alike -- want the same thing and really route for the players to do well. Perhaps fans sometimes want to see, following, e.g., a frustrating loss, athletes and coaches as equally frustrated as the fans. In a way, it's the Coach's acknowledgment of the fans' frustration, and that is how I viewed the comment. I actually appreciated Coach's remark.

Moreover, I think Coach's comment(s) would probably not actually dissuade anyone (or most individuals) from attending the games, especially since we as fans have heard that exact same sort of comment being made by many players and coaches in today's sports culture.

In any event, I don't have a strong feeling one way or another about the coach's comments, so I could certainly be persuaded to agree along the lines of the original post in this thread.

The more that I think about it, I can certainly see the point of view that we have a lot of people in this area who perhaps have never seen a game, so they might read that and not "sign up" for a game anytime soon, thinking something like "why bother." However, I think if the remark is read in its context -- especially after a loss at home against a team we were picked to beat -- the comment isn't so bad in terms of dissuading fans from coming to games (new fans I mean, because we all know that those of us on here will continue to go). The key thing, I think, is to read the remark liberally and in context, and not too strictly or along the lines of its plain language, void of any contextual meaning.

Hope I made a little bit of sense for a Friday afternoon!

PS - BTW, it's my birthday today (32), and for my birthday I wish for a win on the road versus UMBC next Wednesday night!!!! :D

The more that I think about it, I can certainly see the point of view that we have a lot of people in this area who perhaps have never seen a game, so they might read that and not "sign up" for a game anytime soon, thinking something like "why bother." However, I think if the remark is read in its context -- especially after a loss at home against a team we were picked to beat -- the comment isn't so bad in terms of dissuading fans from coming to games (new fans I mean, because we all know that those of us on here will continue to go). The key thing, I think, is to read the remark liberally and in context, and not too strictly or along the lines of its plain language, void of any contextual meaning.

PS - BTW, it's my birthday today (32), and for my birthday I wish for a win on the road versus UMBC next Wednesday night!!!! :D

1st - Happy Birthday

Your post makes perfect sense. And again not a big deal just one of those things. It seems like most people don't make it much past the headlines and there wasn't much to the article on the front page (as it was continued inside), and yet this comment made the cut. Just unfortunate.

1st - Happy Birthday

Your post makes perfect sense. And again not a big deal just one of those things. It seems like most people often don't make it much past the headlines and there wasn't much to the article on the front page (as it was continued inside), and yet this comment made the cut. Just unfortunate.

Very good point ... especially because I think you're right about people not making it past the headlines (thus, it's impossible for them to read the quote in any kind of context). ... *sigh*, I hope we go to 5-3 next week ... .

Happy Birthday

I think its a borderline call - saying something like that to the press.

Probably more likely to make the team come out breathing fire for awhile, but if even one or two guys on the team misinterpret it and believe the coach may be giving up on them, that can be poison.

Looking for good things at UMBC - and I am actually going to make the trip to watch it.

Probably more likely to make the team come out breathing fire for awhile, but if even one or two guys on the team misinterpret it and believe the coach may be giving up on them, that can be poison. - King Dane

I don't think the players judge the coach by what Singelais chooses to print.

I think the players get the coach's meaning first hand - upfront and personal.

If he doesn't mince words with the press I would bet he is even more direct with the team.

Brown expects to win and wants to win and he and his staff will probably do everything in their power to right the ship - and I don't think giving up on them is even one of their options.

I'm not sure how much damage it could do to the basketball going public. Our next game is away and the game after is the BPG which is nearly sold out already. I wasn't thrilled to see it but taken in context it didn't seem bad to me.

Personally if back to back 5-23 years didn't keep me away, a loss to Maine and 9-10 isn't going to.

Archived