UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium Funding and UAlbany Flagship

uofalbany

I want to forward the article to every Senator and Assemblymen that represents the CR.

The TU should also get a clue from this article.

"I have been told across the board that by improving the arena, coach Pikiell will be able to recruit better players and begin to move the program as coach [Chuck]Priore has moved our football team," LaValle said. "I have been told over and over again that the stadium is an attraction. So what we are doing with basketball is what we've done in football: improve the facility."

Argh...........

And we are 10-4 versus SBU all-time in football.

If you don't tell our CD legislators, I will... I may anyways.

It is such blatant favortism, that it seems almost immoral. :angry:

Have at it my friend. It'll take me a few days to get it done.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I know Cortland is DIII. I was trying to make a point. I guess I did not do that.

No. You made your point. Believe me, it infuriates me just as much.

I just bitched about it in the other thread already.

I know Cortland is DIII. I was trying to make a point. I guess I did not do that.

No. You made your point. Believe me, it infuriates me just as much.

I just bitched about it in the other thread already.

It's nice to see that Cortland has a nice facility, and they are in the suny family.

This makes me think that their academic side may not ask for much in terms of special projects, and maybe that was the only one on their priority list that year. Maybe I'm dead wrong...

A few things keep flooding my brain:

Will the stadium be the number #1 priority on our capital project list next year?

What will be be asking for, 60 million? 75 million, more.... as a top priority?

I assume that the reason the assembly cut it down to 35 million this year, was because it was far down the priority list, and wouldn't have had a chance at 60 million....

Also, will 20 million for upgrades to SEFCU be on the list?

How about 5 million each for the softball and baseball fields?

Where is Mayor Jennings during all of this?

As a UAlbany alum, why isn't he plugging for stadium funds through the city of albany?

Is he hoping that the state will end up doing it, so he doesn't have to stick his neck out and risk backlash?

Why doesn't someone run for mayor, and then rechannel the convention center funds directly to UAlbany Athletic facilities... :rolleyes:

I'd say the track team has earned the right to some meet-worthy facilities. Neither indoor or outdoor track is currently suitable for an intercollegiate meet. It's kind of embarrassing that the Great Danes Classic meet is in NYC. It appears thatv this team has historically done the most with the least. President Philip, made those remarks to the entire student athelte population Monday evening. UA has done by far the most with the least in facilities and that it had to change. It's happened for FH and LAX, so as I've stated before, I'm confident it will continue in next year. Mayor Jennings does support the stadium and the convention center. They are 2 facilities with different purposes and why should one take precedence over the other. The mayor is working for both, as he should.

I personally haven't heard or seen much from the Mayor. I know he supports the stadium in theory, but, is there more he can do?

I totally agree with you on the Track and Field facilities. I'd like to see a renovation of the current facility, with permanent seating on the opposite side, like a mini stadium... keeping what we have and using it for T and F and maybe for soccer, etc....

And of course, the Stadium elsewhere.

Glad to hear those remarks from Philips. Talk is talk. Action is action.

Will athletics dominate next years budget???

As a UAlbany alum, why isn't he plugging for stadium funds through the city of albany?

Is he hoping that the state will end up doing it, so he doesn't have to stick his neck out and risk backlash?

Why doesn't someone run for mayor, and then rechannel the convention center funds directly to UAlbany Athletic facilities... :rolleyes:

Alum73 beat me to it, but do you know that Mayor Jennings isn't 'plugging' for the stadium?

Like too many of your posts, it might be a good idea to have all the facts before you continue to criticize decision-makers.

Glad to hear those remarks from Philips. Talk is talk. Action is action.

Philip said that SUNY has decided to take a more conservative/non-inflamming/conciliatory approach to the still ongoing budget process these few weeks. An approach that the campuses must follow, at least for now. He said that he diagrees with that apporach and would prefer more aggressive action.

Remember this when we post about how the situation within SUNY and the Chancellor position might impact our hiring process for a President.

Alum73 beat me to it, but do you know that Mayor Jennings isn't 'plugging' for the stadium?

Like too many of your posts, it might be a good idea to have all the facts before you continue to criticize decision-makers.

When I first joined this board, what first caught my eye about you, was the fact that you seem to challenge fellow posters in some fashion frequently. As long as you continue criticizing me, and over analyzing / micro critiquing everything I write... maybe you can answer this question.

What has Mayor Jennings been doing in regards to supporting our stadium efforts?

Maybe I am assumimg that his effort is mediocre at best, because I have heard almost NOTHING from him.

I would also assume that if he was a strong supporter of this effort, his name would have become somewhat synonymous with the project, like Canastrari. Those facts form my opinion.

I don't like to pussyfoot around subject matter. You may do how you wish.

By the way, I feel the mayor has done a fine job as mayor of Albany.

Maybe with a bit of visible, public support..... my opinion of him and his efforts for the stadium would change.

The comments about convention center funds and running for mayor were obviously joking comments.

Tranquilo mi amigo.

I, through posts on this board, obviously won't change your opinion about this broad topic of stadium/state funding/governance. But I'm happy to try to answer your questions.

First, I would hope your 6 months worth of time on this board would not be long enough to form that type of opinion about me. I've been on here for more than 3 years now, and this topic is the only one in that time span that I've offered strong opinions about (as I usually post about sports). So I think your sample size might be a bit small.

Where you think I'm criticizing you, I'm simply trying to provide information or show where we might not have all (or even most) of the info. I have enough experience working in and around this exact field to have seen that there are plenty of things going on that the general public doesn't hear or see through newspaper articles, news reports, or press releases. Therefore, I think it's quite unfair (and counterproductive) to criticize and have a general pessimistic attitude about issues that we admittedly don't, and likely won't, know all the facts. I'm not quite sure what I'm 'pussyfooting' about?

I simply try to offer information on these topics, as I'm often surrounded by them at a professional level on a daily basis. If you, and others here, feel that my posts are simply 'criticizing,' I know that myself, and others around me here on the board who are in similar positions, would be more than happy to remove ourselves from conversations about these issues and refrain from providing additional information here on out.

I, through posts on this board, obviously won't change your opinion about this broad topic of stadium/state funding/governance. But I'm happy to try to answer your questions.

First, I would hope your 6 months worth of time on this board would not be long enough to form that type of opinion about me. I've been on here for more than 3 years now, and this topic is the only one in that time span that I've offered strong opinions about (as I usually post about sports). So I think your sample size might be a bit small.

Where you think I'm criticizing you, I'm simply trying to provide information or show where we might not have all (or even most) of the info. I have enough experience working in and around this exact field to have seen that there are plenty of things going on that the general public doesn't hear or see through newspaper articles, news reports, or press releases. Therefore, I think it's quite unfair (and counterproductive) to criticize and have a general pessimistic attitude about issues that we admittedly don't, and likely won't, know all the facts. I'm not quite sure what I'm 'pussyfooting' about?

I simply try to offer information on these topics, as I'm often surrounded by them at a professional level on a daily basis. If you, and others here, feel that my posts are simply 'criticizing,' I know that myself, and others around me here on the board who are in similar positions, would be more than happy to remove ourselves from conversations about these issues and refrain from providing additional information here on out.

GODANESGO,

With all due respect, what functional purpose was served by saying....."Like too many of your posts, it might be a good idea to have all the facts before you continue to criticize decision-makers."?

There are undoubtedly people who are more in the know then others, but instead of taking the high road and simply passing along information, the statements are made with an air of superiority at the same time condescending towards those who might not be as well connected. Kind of like....what the hell do you know, who do you think you are. ......"DUDE...you really need to understand recruiting A LOT MORE" etc. I, to a point see where uofa is coming from.

Again, I mean no disrespect but this type of behavior by some members of this board is becoming more prevalent. If we are to go by the way of the MAAC board then fine, let's make this board a no holds barred board and dispense with the formalities.

To be honest I support GODANESGO 100%. He gets us information that most of us are not "privvy to" or just don't have the time to "dig up" ourselves.

He directly responds to posts that are total opinions and not based on facts.

If he (and those with similar contacts) were to stop posting information here many of us would be clueless of what is truely happening politically. He delivers facts and when he offers his opinion he clearly states that it is an opinion.

Like most of you I was disappointed when we didn't get the stadium and I contacted all the politicians listed on this site and others - but the reality of it was that it wasn't even the top priority of our school. Therefore it was UA who helped shoot down the stadium not so much the politicians.

I for one will attack the politcos when UA sends the stadium out in the budget process as a top priority and then the politicians don't jump on board.

GODANESGO - thank you for supplying this board with information and insight and don't let a minority of posters who don't see the entire picture shut the other members of this board off from solid information.

Archived