UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium Funding and UAlbany Flagship

uofalbany

From what the article says, it seems we are putting all of our eggs in one basket.

We need 10 - 20% of the total costs, and the state needs to fund the rest.

Gambling on the 2009/2010 State budget, again. Ouch.

I was told 2 years ago that the University was in the process of an envirnomental study. Is an environmental study different than a site analysis?

We might as well upgrade University Field as we wait......... and if we do get a multi purpose stadium in the future in a new location, we have a track and field / soccer stadium on University Field.

From the way it sounds, we are moving forward without State Funding THIS year (only continuing fund raising), but are counting on State funding next year to have any chance with this plan... if no funding next year, then ?????????????

We have $375,000 worth of pretty drawings?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to be "glass half full" here. It was touch and go to get 36.5 million this year for our number 3 priority, with an unexpected new gov. and a weaker economic outlook. I have to believe that next year, if the stadium is number 1, with a detailed plan in hand we should be able to get the money and I hope we even up the ante to include the upgrades for SEFCU arena in the total project. Of course if the new stadium isn't attached to SEFU that might not happen. The other 2 projects were sorely needed and now they're funded. The money for finishing the lax/fh stands was accomplished and is well underway. I suppose anything can happen, but I feel very confident that next year, we will finaaly get the state money for the stadium.

I'm trying to be "glass half full" here. It was touch and go to get 36.5 million this year for our number 3 priority, with an unexpected new gov. and a weaker economic outlook. I have to believe that next year, if the stadium is number 1, with a detailed plan in hand we should be able to get the money and I hope we even up the ante to include the upgrades for SEFCU arena in the total project. Of course if the new stadium isn't attached to SEFU that might not happen. The other 2 projects were sorely needed and now they're funded. The money for finishing the lax/fh stands was accomplished and is well underway. I suppose anything can happen, but I feel very confident that next year, we will finaaly get the state money for the stadium.

I'll feel better about it in a few months when we get to see the site plans and funraising materials. That is more concrete to me.

I'm leaving my signature as it, because I've been advocating for some sort of University Field upgrades for a few years now. I still think they should be done regardless of the stadium funding in next year's budget.

Just a couple unorganized thoughts, as I just got back from a short business trip. Obviously disappointed we didn't get our stadium money..

1) The new business building has never been planned to be built IN Collins Circle. Across from University Hall is, and always has been, the planned location. Another (positive) way to view this big School of Business development is from a long term fundraising standpoint. UAlbany hasn't had that 'group' of donors to help support the University in substantial numbers. Many alumni who are at the point in life to be donating are teachers, not exactly the richest bunch. UB and SBU have professional schools that produce alumni with considerable donating ability..BU and UB have history as private schools to help that as well. The large donations to UAlbany over the past decade have mainly come from alums in the business world who have their bachelor's or MBAs from the School of Business. Hopefully we see positive results for years to come.

2) Stony Brook is IN Sen. LaValle's district. UAlbany IS NOT in Sen. Bruno's district. UAlbany IS NOT in Sen. Farley's district. And although he was our biggest proponent, UAlbany IS NOT in Leader Canestrari's district. UAlbany (where the stadium would be built) is in Sen. Breslin and Assemblyman McEneny's districts. Those of you who are annoyed at legislators should be wondering why it was Canestrari who was constantly in the paper as being the main proponent of our stadium and not OUR OWN representatives. Further, Sen. LaValle is Chair of the Senate Higher Education Committee, which, whether we like it or not, is BIG. With the Senate's Republican majority being razor thin, we may not see as much focus on SBU come January 2009 if the landscape changes. LaValle may be trying to get money for his DISTRICT while he still has the chance. McEneny is not on the Assembly Higher Ed Committee nor is Breslin on the Senate Higher Ed Committee. That CANNOT help. If some of you think people like Sen. Farley will stick his neck out for $36.5 million OUTSIDE of his district in such a tough budget year simply because he has a degree from UAlbany, then politics simply doesn't come naturally to you. Further, if you think legislators from 4+ hours away from UAlbany's district will push for $36.5 million for a football stadium for our school because of the annecdotal (at best) argument that it's "good" for the State University of New York or New York State, again, politics isn't your field.

3) How many of you (I know I certainly don't) know every SUNY campus' #3 special project capital money priorities? How many of those were more than $35 million? We complain that NYS and SUNY are focusing on UAlbany for 'attacks,' but I'd wager a guess that most, if not all, don't know the entire picture. What about the schools that just got their top capital priority..or not even that? I do know that SUNY campuses were asked to submit their top 5-10 capital project priorities. Then, because of the anticipated budget crunch, they were asked to cut that wish list down to 3. Sometimes setbacks like this happen. If money grew on trees, UAlbany would have all of their top 10 projects.

Misc -

Interesting to see SBU get law school money. Last I read (I think Newsday about a month ago), conversations had died between Pres. Kenny at SBU and those from Touro Law. I wonder if this money is meant to continue that discussion or if it's meant to start something somewhere else.

I'm not sure what other options there are other than pushing for funding for next year. Revitalization of the current field could be a short term project, but I think a brand new stadium has to be a the ultimate goal..I think our current field is just that poor. Unfortunately that large a chunck of change pretty much has to come from the state. And I'm not sure that the Leg. giving us something like $10 million this year for a new stadium would have been a positive move for us. If we're going to be allocated money for a stadium in a given budget year, I want it to be enough to build the stadium..even if we wait for an extra year.

For all of those writing letters complaining to Bruno, etc.. I think those should be accompanied by letters of thanks to Canestrari. He obviously pushed hard, but just couldn't get it in the end this year.

Nice post GDG

the stadium was our #3 priorty - hopefully it will now become the #1 priorty

you are correct that the stadium will be in the districts of Sen Breslin and Assblmn McEneny

we need to make our thoughts known to these 2 pols

Heck - they are my reps.

For those who have wondered why Stony Brook has been included as one of the 2 supposed flagshigs -

Sen LaValle is 100% responsible for that - his position as chair of the HE Committee in the Senate is an extremely powerful one

this will change if the Dems get control of the Senate then Lavalle will no longer be chair - who is the ranking Dem on that committe?

that is who we should be talking to for next year

Ron Canestrari did a great job - he deserves our thanks and future support

As mentioned earlier - NANOTECH - the state has poured a ton of money into this

Other campuses have complained for years that we got more than our share

well nanotech is nanotech - as far as it's impact on $$ for the rest UA - I believe it has hurt

It has been a distraction used by supporters of other institutions to keep $$ away fro the rest of UA

As for the impact of nanotech - one only has to look at the growth on the corner of Wash Ave and Fuller Rd

Nanotech is great for UA's national profile and the local economy but so far that has not translated into $$ for other areas of the University

As for improvements at University Field - I believe that the plan is now to have the new stadium located in that area. Any improvements would be extremely temp. I think that one of the problems that came up with location is the proximity of peoples residences to the originally proposed site. I have no inside info on this - just experience with other projects that create NOISE.

My impression of what Dr McElroy has said today is basically - no more pretty drawings, artists conceptions and the like - but actual plans (site plans/architechural plans) so a true estimated cost can be reached. Waiting another year for state funds is a pile of $iena BUT I know that it has made me recommit to adding more of my own meager $$ to the stadium fund.

It may be time for a true booster club separate of the University to act as a fund raiser - lobbyist - and general cheer leader for UA Athletics.

I'm with alum73 on this one. In my view, let's keep focussed on this project, keep hoping for the best, donate what we can, understand that UAlbany officials are doing their best (IMHO) -- especially Dr. M -- and try not to be too hard on our local representatives who supported this. The school officials had to prioritize their capital projects, and we got funding for the projects prioritized ahead of the Statdium. I have to trust their judgment in the manner in which they prioritized the projects (though the Stadium is the most important to me and my interests).

So much of what happens in the Legislature, in my view as a layperson informed through the media, is guided by downstate representatives and downstate interests. Also in my view, Bruno has done so much for this area: I am scared to think of what will happen if the Republicans lose the majority in the Senate, resulting in a new Senate Majority Leader, who will most likely be a representative from downstate or at least from somewhere other than the Capital District. I think Silver is from downstate, and if a democrat from downstate gets the Senate Majority Leader position, forget Albany (or at least that's what I think will happen).

As much as it upsets me that upstate sometimes gets the "shaft", downstate does hold the vast majority of our state's population, etc., and it logically follows that they deserve the majority of the funding (How much of it is wasted, considered "pork", or in the form of social spending are other issues). I can't imagine what the legislative process is like, but we did get funding for two important capital projects, which were very much needed (like the Stadium), and I do understand the viewpoint that capital expenditures are the first to get slashed when in tough budget times like we are now.

Yes, someone else got funding instead of us, but I'm sure whatever entity(ies) received that funding instead of us would argue that its cause was just as important. We're moving in the right direction, UAlbany is doing lots of construction and building, and let's use the next 12 months to build momentum for receiving funding in next year's budget. By staying positive and creating as much press as possible on the stadium need, we can hopefully build momentum for next year's budget.

We'll simply view this as a setback and one we can overcome.

Ranking member is Sen. Toby Ann Stavisky from Queens. Strong education advocate, but she's more policy than high profile personality. And Queens isn't exactly Albany. But she is a strong proponent of SUNY in general.

She's kinda like an old cooky grandma type when you first see/hear her..lol..but she's pretty on the ball.

More in today's TU. McElroy expresses optimism

interesting.....

"But a representative for Senate Majority Leader Joseph L. Bruno disputed the contention of Assembly Majority Leader Ronald Canestrari that the Assembly "didn't have a partner to endorse" the stadium.

"The stadium budget never was raised during negotiations in state capital funding," Bruno spokesman Mark Hansen said. "The project never appeared on any list."

Canestrari said it was well known that UAlbany wanted the stadium financing but neither the Senate nor governor stepped forward.

"Everyone knew of the project," he said. "I'm not sure about SUNY central, but SUNY Albany did their due diligence and worked to have this project be considered." "

More in today's TU. McElroy expresses optimism

interesting.....

"But a representative for Senate Majority Leader Joseph L. Bruno disputed the contention of Assembly Majority Leader Ronald Canestrari that the Assembly "didn't have a partner to endorse" the stadium.

"The stadium budget never was raised during negotiations in state capital funding," Bruno spokesman Mark Hansen said. "The project never appeared on any list."

Canestrari said it was well known that UAlbany wanted the stadium financing but neither the Senate nor governor stepped forward.

"Everyone knew of the project," he said. "I'm not sure about SUNY central, but SUNY Albany did their due diligence and worked to have this project be considered." "

I thought that was weird too. Do you think someone is paying us a little lip service? Not sure which one though.

Not even being tabled though? No wonder we didn't get any money.

Archived