UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Play Siena in the RACC

I hope the new Siena contract is a home and home. UA would sell out the RACC against Siena - certainly a lot of fans would be rooting for Siena, but you'd sell it out.

That would also help Siena understand the value of playing UA. They will not draw more than 7k fan for any home game except Syracuse.

For UA, that would be a great way to start any year.

I'd love to see that too Reeder but I don't think it will happen. That game draws 12K every year at the Pepsi and you can't squeeze more than 5K in to the RACC. Too much money to lose with playing the game uptown and I really think that's $iena's incentive to play us. I'd be happy to hear "Purple Haze" replacing "We love our $aints" down at the Pepsi after a Danes victory.

I agree that the game draws too many fans to play at the RACC, but if we're designated the home team we should be treated like it at the COUNTY-OWNED Pepsi Arena. 'Purple Haze' is just a start - how about better seating, maybe cover some of the $iena/MAAC logos and banners for the game.

Before that happens, we may have to start averaging 3K at the RACC and then schedule 4 or 5 of the bigger games a year at the PA to stop being treated as a 2nd-class intruder

A few things, I don’t think you’ll see the game in the RACC anytime soon, it’s quite simply not big enough. And while I agree there are concessions that could be made to Albany. You have to understand a few things. First off even under the circumstances it’s a big game for Albany, you get more publicity than any game you play all year. You get a chance to showcase your program in front of a huge “local” crowd. Secondly why drastically change a game that has been such a huge success. How many other mid majors can play a local rivalry in front of a crowd like that?

Third Siena does indeed quite often get more than 7K, just this year with a lousy( by Siena standards) team we have almost 10K for the Manhattan game and 7500 for Iona, With Marist coming up( always a good draw) and senior night against Fairfield probably another two games . Last year Siena (a 21 win season) had 7or 8 crowds in excess of 7K.

Why mess with a good thing, I personally feel the game benefits both programs

Siena vs. Albany

The game should never come to the RACC, the RACC can't hold enough people.

Other considerations may have to be made at the Pepsi.

With the Saints having a great recruiting class coming in and 2 solid red shirts already sitting out and the Danes finally having a full roster of scholarship players including 4 proven DI double figure scorers (Wlison, Levine, Iati and Jordan) the potential to sell out the Pepsi is there. Maybe the Pepsi will start a Big Purple Growl like atmoshere for this possible Marquis game and truly make it a community game.

The racc IS OUT!! However, years ago, when Ped vs Indian games were at the Armory, the teams eventuallly split home team responsibilities. Currently, Siena might not want to do this and that is understandable, as long as they continue the series and we have a future patsy on our schedule, that is the important thing.

The Pepsi Arena was built w/ hopes of developing great events such as the UAlbany/Siena rivalry. I personally think Siena is doing it the wrong way as should still play games on campus & then play bigger draw games at the Pepsi Arena. Even the UConn's, etc, move certain games off campus. The homecourt advantage is totally taken away from Siena w/ Pepsi Arena only being one third filled for most games as more hostile campus atmosphere would probably mean more wins. Siena is always shooting for at least an NIT bid & a few more wins would help toward that goal obviously. Unless they jump to higher conference such as A-10 (which they are not willing to do), the Pepsi Arena for all home games will not be ideal situation for them in my opinion. I also agree UAlbany play games at RACC & some higher drawing games at Pepsi Arena to increase fan base by showing what a good sports entertainment product they offer.

I'm not sure why everyone is saying the RACC is out. How has playing at the Pepsi helped UA? I know the team hasn't played well, but there hasn't been an increase in fan support or an increase in coverage. I think it should be treated like a conference game where teams alternate playing on their own home court (alternate annually).

Playing at the RACC would help UA - if UA can get 2000 fans that would never come to the RACC to see a game there, I think it would be great for the program. I also think it would be a great way to start the season - get 4k fans to start the season and 4k fans at the BPG.

If McElroy signs an agreement to continue playing at the Pepsi, then UA needs to get something for that - a real home game with the associated revenue. Siena can't back out now, they need the game for attendance reasons. Also, I would imagine that there would be political pressure to continue the game (governor's cup).

My point is that in every negotiation, you strive for a win - win. I don't see the win for UA yet.

reeder

If McElroy signs an agreement to continue playing at the Pepsi, then UA needs to get something for that - a real home game with the associated revenue. - reeder

Without a doubt UA needs to get more out of the Siena/UA game and that should be negotiated.

Maybe alternate Home Game Rights at the Pepsi. When it's our home game turn it into a BPG type event.

I think it's better to have a game with 11-12K fans. Great recruiting tool.

What we really need to do is beat Siena at the Pepsi and then they can never back out of the game and we pick up negotiating leverage.

A few things, first off Siena cannot go back to the ARC. Siena has 4,000 season ticket holders and seldom gets under 5000 for a game, in fact the Saints will average about 6,500 this year. The ARC only holds 4200 or so. I’d love to see Siena build an 8 or 9,000 seat on campus arena. Although I doubt I’ll ever see it happen

Secondly at this point Ualb needs the game a lot more than Siena does. Siena plays in front of several crowds over 9,000 each and every year, how many does Alb get and how many of them are in Alb? Now don’t get me wrong I’m in favor of the game but Siena did just fine at the D1 level without playing Alb. UAlb benefits from the game with increased exposure plus they get to show their product in front of a huge ALBANY crowd. Albany gets to wear home colors and can keep any ticket revenue they sell. Albany has much more to gain from this series than Siena hopefully you can see that. If Albany starts making unreasonable demands I’d support killing the series in a heartbeat. Hopefully McElroy is a heck of a lot smarter than some of the fans on this board and does not make unreasonable demands. However having said that I do agree there are some things that can be done to make the game more equitable for Albany and I’m all in favor of that. Playing the game in the RACC is a deal breaker, much like Siena’s on campus arena the RACC is much too small to accommodate Siena’s fan base. Remember Siena can kill the series schedule a Mid-major and still get between 6,000 and 9,000 in for the game. I’m quite sure Albany cannot get another mid major in town to generate 3,000 let alone 10 to 12,000 that the Albany/Siena games generates

In closing I think the game is very good for BOTH schools and can only enhance D1 basketball in the Albany area. Don’t screw up a good thing by calling for unreasonable demands.

Siena Tony

Secondly at this point Ualb needs the game a lot more than Siena does. Siena plays in front of several crowds over 9,000 each and every year, how many does Alb get and how many of them are in Alb? Now don’t get me wrong I’m in favor of the game but Siena did just fine at the D1 level without playing Alb. UAlb benefits from the game with increased exposure plus they get to show their product in front of a huge ALBANY crowd............................Albany has much more to gain from this series than Siena hopefully you can see that. If Albany starts making unreasonable demands I’d support killing the series in a heartbeat. - Siena Tony

At this point you are absolutely correct - but if the Danes were to win one the scenario becomes very different. Remember the Capital District has bought into this game and if the game becomes a sellout or (Near) it may not be so easy to cancel a series that the community wants. As much as UA benefits from the game now Siena cannot lose face by backing out in the future.

I see nothing wrong with Siena hosting one year and UA the next with the Pepsi always being the court. The season UA is the Home team Siena can bring in a high powered team to replace the UA home game they lost.

With that said I don't think you will see it in the immediate pending deal. UA must still prove it deserves the right to host.

It would be a terrible scenario to have the Danes and Saints both being winners and not playing each other. In that case the community becomes the loser.

What we really need to do is beat Siena at the Pepsi and then they can never back out of the game and we pick up negotiating leverage ... UA must still prove it deserves the right to host

as it has been stated all along ... AE wins are important, but that match-up is the most important game of the year for the danes ... one victory will dramatically alter local perception of UA basketball ... until we get one from siena at the DI level they will maintain all of the perks that go with being the most celebrated local college basketball attraction ...

This is mainly in response to Reeder & Siena Tony. Winning is what will bring out the fans in this area, which is no different than most other areas. The Pepsi Arena will be a great thing for UAlbany when they start turning things around. Being an area fan I would much rather see UAlbany make it to the Big Dance than Siena as seeing Albany's name in national sports scene would be awesome as opposed to hearing mentioned on TV that Siena College is from area so many miles from Albany. UAlbany becoming stronger program & maybe playing higher profile teams on regular basis would knock Siena out of the spotlight as MAAC games just won't draw very big crowds or get area excited. Whether or not UAlbany will be able to step up remains to be seen but would love to see it happen. I also hope Siena remains strong at level playing in as that is great for them but not going to bring result I'm looking for as an area fan. Also nationally, different crowds attend campus & non-campus games for various reasons. Winning does mean a lot as fans are fickle but will jump on the band wagon as shown when Siena made nice NIT runs as brought out a lot more casual fans & I'm sure they acquired some permanent fans (not just alumni) as a result. UAlbany should hang in there because great things may be coming down the road for all of us. Also as an area supporter, it's nice not having to worry about teams leaving the area.

Just a quick follow up to previous post. I can't help thinking why we can't compare to Syracuse down the road. They have been embraced by their community as many non-alumni eat & breathe orange. The University is not really helping the city economically overall but providing great sports entertainment & puts them on the map. I don't expect to reach that level but can't see why we can't obtain some of that eventually.