UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

EOP under investigation

UAalum72

Program at UAlbany draws state scrutiny

T-U reporting on an "audit that began in September at the request of state Sen. Kenneth LaValle, R-Suffolk County".

I swear that if LaValle had his way, the uptown campus would be once again a golf course and the downtown campus would be sold to Siena or St. Rose.

man we need to work to get Charlie Voelker in the senate and then work to get a Democratic majority...then we can end this stony brook garbage

But will a Democratic majority in the senate really help things? I mean, look at what a democrat (or two) in the executive branch has done for not just SUNY, but New York in general in the last 18 months.

T-U reporting on an "audit that began in September at the request of state Sen. Kenneth LaValle, R-Suffolk County".

I swear that if LaValle had his way, the uptown campus would be once again a golf course and the downtown campus would be sold to Siena or St. Rose.

Democrat, Republican, Albany, Stony Brook, if my tax dollars are being misused, end it.

Democrat, Republican, Albany, Stony Brook, if my tax dollars are being misused, end it.

But come on, fewer than one-tenth of the campuses, on a $20 million program for over 10,000 students, and what percent of that would you think is (not even accused of being 'misused' but) spent 'not for prescribed purposes'? Is it likely they'll save as much as the investigation would cost? I smell smokescreen and publicity-hound more than any concern about saving your tax dollars.

But come on, fewer than one-tenth of the campuses, on a $20 million program for over 10,000 students, and what percent of that would you think is (not even accused of being 'misused' but) spent 'not for prescribed purposes'? Is it likely they'll save as much as the investigation would cost? I smell smokescreen and publicity-hound more than any concern about saving your tax dollars.

Maybe so on the investigation costing more than the resulting savings, but I would say that "not for prescribed purposes" equates to "misused".

I would say that "not for prescribed purposes" equates to "misused".

As long as you don't equate 'misused' to necessarily being 'malused', and you've never complained about legislative micromanaging, government interference, and lack of innovation in public higher ed.

When you've got limited investigative resources, they should be spent on high- value targets.

And I wonder how many EOP students came from LaValle's district.

And I wonder how many EOP students came from LaValle's district.

I can think of at least one EOP student from LaValle's district who came to Albany because "she wanted off of Long Island".

Ken is just looking to get his name on another facility on the Stony Crook Campus.

Dirt bag, and now one of the once infamous "Long Island 9" is in charge. Expect more of these shenanigans.

Flush Hard!

man we need to work to get Charlie Voelker in the senate and then work to get a Democratic majority...then we can end this stony brook garbage

I'm not so sure a democratic majority will have the impact some here, including myself, seek. And I don't even know to what extent a democratic majority versus the current leadership will impact UAlbany. I'm not sure such an impact would be positive! I do hold a generalized concern that a democrat majority -- with many of those democrats coming from downstate and NYC and Long Island -- could steer much-needed dollars away from upstate and towards the fiscal blackhole known as downstate New York. There is no question that Joe Bruno, as Senate Majority Leader for many years, helped bring dollars into the Capital Region. Those days are sadly coming to an end. I'm very worried about people from Long Island and New York City running this state. Forgive my broad stereotype, and I know this does not hold true for all those downstate, but so many people I have come across from Long Island and New York City view that region as the center of the world and certainly what defines and makes up New York State.

To the extent the power of the purse finds its direction, control, and leadership downstate, we will get shafted. Period.

I'm am so worried about Bruno stepping down and the senate falling to democratic rule (not because of political affiliation but because I fear that that will involve greater spending for downstate NY), that I may very well, sadly, see myself moving to another nearby state in my future (Philly, Boston, Rhode Island, Conn., Jersey, etc.).

I'm am so worried about Bruno stepping down and the senate falling to democratic rule (not because of political affiliation but because I fear that that will involve greater spending for downstate NY), that I may very well, sadly, see myself moving to another nearby state in my future (Philly, Boston, Rhode Island, Conn., Jersey, etc.).

If the fears of government pretty much caring about nothing north of the Bear Mountain Bridge become true, it would only make the case for the splitting of the state in two only more real. Problem is would Upstate go for it (knowing that a new state would have a few years of pain to start) and would Downstate want to be without their little tax slaves?

If the fears of government pretty much caring about nothing north of the Bear Mountain Bridge become true, it would only make the case for the splitting of the state in two only more real. Problem is would Upstate go for it (knowing that a new state would have a few years of pain to start) and would Downstate want to be without their little tax slaves?

Scrabby, Although I find your views refreshingly progressive, an intra-state civil war -- political, economic, or otherwise -- might not be the answer here. Even if NYS did want to split, I'd be curious to learn the views of our federal Congress on the matter and what say our federal government would have (if any?).

Even if NYS did want to split, I'd be curious to learn the views of our federal Congress on the matter and what say our federal government would have (if any?).

US Constitution, Article IV, Section 3

" ...no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress."

and all the one-district states would be opposed to breaking up NY, Cal., Texas etc. because it would break their stranglehold in the US Senate.

I wouldn't worry about downstate being opposed either, because they send a lot more tax dollars to Albany than they get back, and they figure that without NYC, upstate would be Appalachia, especially with the jobs lost when they close the upstate prisons holding downstate inmates.

Even if NYS did want to split, I'd be curious to learn the views of our federal Congress on the matter and what say our federal government would have (if any?).

US Constitution, Article IV, Section 3

" ...no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress."

and all the one-district states would be opposed to breaking up NY, Cal., Texas etc. because it would break their stranglehold in the US Senate.

I wouldn't worry about downstate being opposed either, because they send a lot more tax dollars to Albany than they get back, and they figure that without NYC, upstate would be Appalachia, especially with the jobs lost when they close the upstate prisons holding downstate inmates.

Great points!

Archived