UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game notes:

http://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/6021.pdf

I love this stat: this is our 15th game against a nationally ranked opponent since 2000.

Also: McCarty now has 10 straight games with 100+ yards rushing. That's amazing.

Polls:

As of right now, after the 4th week of FCS football, how would you rate the first four teams on our schedule?

1 being the (toughest), 4 being the (least toughest).

Who thinks we beat Delaware, allowing us the chance of making the FCS Playoffs?

Can someone give a breakdown of our opponent this week. I know that Delawares standout QB (Flacco) is now in the NFL. Are they more of a run team, pass team...how is their defensive line...will McCarty get any room to run between the tackles or should we scheme to bounce him to the outside consistently? Where are they most vulnerable?

Game notes:

http://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/6021.pdf

I love this stat: this is our 15th game against a nationally ranked opponent since 2000.

Also: McCarty now has 10 straight games with 100+ yards rushing. That's amazing.

Polls:

As of right now, after the 4th week of FCS football, how would you rate the first four teams on our schedule?

1 being the (toughest), 4 being the (least toughest).

Who thinks we beat Delaware, allowing us the chance of making the FCS Playoffs?

Sorry for short responses, super busy day at work.

Ranked:

1-UNH

2-Delaware

3-UMass

4-Hofstra

If we beat Delaware and run the table with style in the NEC we should get an at-large. Should is the key word. You never know.

What is for sure though is that if we don't beat Delaware-----NO SHOT at the playoffs this year.

Can someone give a breakdown of our opponent this week. I know that Delawares standout QB (Flacco) is now in the NFL. Are they more of a run team, pass team...how is their defensive line...will McCarty get any room to run between the tackles or should we scheme to bounce him to the outside consistently? Where are they most vulnerable?

UD game stats, discounting FBS Maryland and D-II West Chester, looks balanced - 35 rushes and 38 passes vs. Furman, throwing FOUR interceptions. UD fans already complaining about using the wrong QB. Defense looks very strong against the run, Furman only 83 yds on 32 carries. Thunderstorms Friday and rain Saturday may make it a slogfest on real grass. UD punter averages 43 ypk.

Delaware game notes

For anyone going down the Visting Fans Guide says parking lots open at 2 pm, umbrellas aren't allowed in the stadium, and I bet the "weather permitting" parking lots won't be open if the weather forecast is correct.

Dave Coulson:

The Sports Network

OTHER GAMES TO WATCH

I'll be venturing into an FCS triple header this weekend, catching Hofstra at Stony Brook on Friday night in a game also being televised by the Madison Square Garden network (MSG) before making my way to Villanova for the Wildcats' showdown with No. 1 Richmond on Saturday afternoon (televised on CN-8).

My football weekend will end at Delaware, where I'll get my first in-person look at Albany, the Fresno State of FCS. The Great Danes, led by running back David McCarty, have looked good in tough losses to UMass (28-16) and New Hampshire (32-24) and a 22-16 victory over Hofstra.

A victory against No. 17 Delaware would be Albany's second over a team from an automatic bid conference and could put the Great Danes in position for a playoff berth under the earned-access rule that will be in place this year when the playoff selection committee meets.

If Albany can win the rest of its games to take the Northeast Conference title, finish 9-2 and move into a consensus position of 16th or better in the Sports Network poll, the coaches poll and the Gridiron Power Index, the Great Danes would crack the playoff field.

Liberty is another team looking for a big win over a playoff-conference team. The No. 25-ranked Flames travel to the Ice Castle to take on Youngstown State in probably the biggest game this decade for Liberty.

Like Albany, Liberty seriously upgraded its schedule this season, with games against Western Carolina, YSU, Lafayette and Elon. That gives the Flames four chances to earn two wins from auto-bid conferences.

Payton Award candidate Rashad Jennings is one of several potent weapons in the Liberty attack, along with left-handed quarterback Brook Smith, running back Zach Terrell and receivers Dominic Bolden and Jonathan Crawford.

Left for dead a couple of weeks ago after losses to Ohio State and South Dakota State, a key injury to All-American defensive tackle Mychal Savage and the loss of starting quarterback Todd Rowan, who quit the team, the Penguins rose to life last week by beating No. 3 North Dakota State 32-24.

The Penguins were ranked 12th in the country in the preseason and could climb back into the poll with a win over Liberty.

Like Albany and Liberty, another team to watch closely this weekend is Tennessee State. The Tigers are off to a 4-0 start for the first time since going 6-0 at the beginning of the 2001 campaign.

The Tigers will be on display nationally from the Georgia Dome when they face Florida A&M Saturday at 3 p.m. in the Bank of America Atlanta Football Classic on Versus.

While Tennessee State had cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie drafted 16th overall by the Arizona Cardinals, there is still plenty of talent left on this suddenly resurgent squad.

Quarterback Antonio Heffner, a great run-pass threat, is healthy again after recovering from a broken ankle last season and Payton Award candidate Javarris Williams is rounding into form at running back.

Receiver Chris Johnson, center Cecil Newton and preseason All-American tackle Cornelius Lewis are other standouts that have caught the eyes of pro scouts.

Senior linebacker Remond Willis has taken the mantle as the Tigers' defensive leader from Rodgers-Cromartie.

Florida A&M, now under the guidance of respected coach Joe Taylor, is making strides after several years of chaos in Tallahassee, FL. and should provide TSU with a good challenge.

Kentucky transfer Curtis Pulley and holdover Eddie Battle have been a two-man crew at quarterback for a Rattler offense averaging over 36 points per game.

09/24 17:38:18 ET

Coulson's prediction:

Albany (1-2) at No. 17 Delaware (1-2), 6 p.m.

Delaware head coach K.C. Keeler called last Saturday's loss to No. 24 Furman one of the most embarrassing moments of his coaching career. Albany, having already provided scares to reputable FCS contenders in New Hampshire and UMass. Keeler's comments will likely serve as motivation for today's game when it faces its third reputable opponent in Delaware.

The Blue Hens don't have to be reminded that Albany scored a 17-10 victory over them the last time they met in 2006.

Delaware was plagued by penalties and careless turnovers in the loss at Furman. Ohio State transfer quarterback Rob Schoenhoft (563 yards, three TDs and six interceptions) continued to struggle, as the leader of the Blue Hens offense, throwing four interceptions, including one that was returned for a score.

The running game has shown some success, with Johnathon Smith rushing for 252 yards and six TDs to lead the way for a group that ranks 20th nationally.

Defensively, Delaware has certainly been respectable, led by many of the same characters that were playing Appalachian State in the national championship last season, including its top two tacklers in 2008, linebackers Anthony Walters (24 tackles, three interceptions) and Erik Johnson (19 tackles). Defensive end Matt Marcorelle leads a defensive line known for pressing passers.

Albany will put its offense in the hands of running back David McCarty (433 yards rushing, three TDs) who ranks fourth in FCS in rushing. Junior quarterback Vinny Esposito (557 yards passing) is also a threat throwing to Tim Bush (17 catches).

Defensively, the Great Danes continue to be led by linebacker Justin Brancaccio (30 tackles, one interception), but they have struggled against the pass, being ranked 90th in pass efficiency defense and have allowed 206 yards per game through the air.

Delaware 21, Albany 14

pretty fair actually. Delaware has to be at least a 1TD favorite coming in.

Chuck Burton - College Sporting News

The CSN Way: How Many Teams Are Playing for Playoffs?

A good discussion on the playoff situaton and the weekly picks.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com...p;tb=1&pb=1

Albany at #17 Delaware. This is a critical crossroads game for both teams. For Delaware – already at 1-2 with losses to Furman and FBS Maryland, and with their sole win an unimpressive one over D-II West Chester – another out-of-conference slip-up could mean that the Hens could afford no slip-ups the rest of the way in their always-brutal CAA schedule. For Albany, this is a playoff game, pure and simple. Win, they keep their chance at an autobid alive; lose, and it’s unlikely they will get any consideration for the postseason. Defense will set the tone: Delaware linebacker Erik Johnson leads a fearsome Hen “D” who haven’t given up more than 23 points a game, while Great Dane linebacker Justin Brancaccio leads an equally impressive unit on the other side. Who wins? The key will be tone: if it’s a slugfest, Albany will win this game behind runningback David McCarty’s pounding. If the Hens can forge some early offense and get some key scores from quarterback Rob Schoenhoft, the Hens will prevail. Advantage? Scandanavians.

Slugging Vikings 20, Slugged Hens 17

And if you couldn't figure it out.....he picked Albany to win.

Is this game online or anything?

Not anywhere that I can find. I'm kind of surprised that UDel does not have TV coverage. If the future LadyDane was not in such a crabby mood, I might have been able to talk MrsJonUA97 into a little road trip to her alma mater.

I guess it's the WOFX feed for me today.

Dogs eat hens....

Flush Hard!

It's a long way to Newark!

Archived