UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Tournaments

UA'08

Does anyone know how these preseason tournaments work? The last one Albany was in was the Coaches v Cancer in 05. Is there a rule where you are only allowed to play in one every four years? I ask this because it seems that all the big name BCS schools like Duke and UNC are always playing in one of them.

This is pure speculation on my end, but I think the reason why we don't play in them anymore is because Coach wants to play against higher end competition in the OCC and typically Albany wouldn't be able to get into a tourney field filled with all other major schools, and he doenst see the point in playing against smaller competition in something like that?? Just a thought....

in the last 3-4 years we have played the likes of UConn, Florida (even if it was in a tournament), UCLA, Villanova, Kansas, Utah, Duke, Iowa St., DePaul and a solid Mid-Major rival in Siena...add then our two years of getting solid Bracketbuster games. If Coach Brown produces that type of schedule for the future, I don't need a tournament.

Does anyone know how these preseason tournaments work? The last one Albany was in was the Coaches v Cancer in 05. Is there a rule where you are only allowed to play in one every four years? I ask this because it seems that all the big name BCS schools like Duke and UNC are always playing in one of them.

I am not totally sure, but I think you can't play in the same tourney more than once every 4 years or play in more than one in a season. I also think a tourney can't have more than 1 team from a particular conference. The tournaments are so watered down and this is actually an article in the sporting news that I received today. The Headline is holiday tournaments aren't what they are used to be.

There are 5 holiday tournaments listed and most seem to be struggling to get good teams. Some of the holiday tournaments seem to be set up by ESPN and are step down from the coaches vs. cancer or the preseason NIT. It seems like they try to get one or 2 names and fill the spots with their affiliate leagues like the maac. The maac has a team in the old spice classic, Puerto Rico tip off and paradise jam and if I had to guess most of the maac games will be televised in the morning if they are televised at all.

The old rules were for the except preseason tournaments where playing in a tournament (even if you played say three games) only counted for one game in your season total. It was to keep the number of games schooled played to a certain number.

Pretty sure that rule doesn't exist anymore. Like Bob said you can't play in the same one every year but you can play different ones so a bunch of new tourneys have sprung up. That one Maine played in this year is a classic example. You can play in multiple tourneys in a year but only one exempt (I think.)

Not sure why we don't play in them. I'd rather have home games or drivable weekend road games.

The old rules were for the except preseason tournaments where playing in a tournament (even if you played say three games) only counted for one game in your season total. It was to keep the number of games schooled played to a certain number.

Pretty sure that rule doesn't exist anymore. Like Bob said you can't play in the same one every year but you can play different ones so a bunch of new tourneys have sprung up. That one Maine played in this year is a classic example. You can play in multiple tourneys in a year but only one exempt (I think.)

Not sure why we don't play in them. I'd rather have home games or drivable weekend road games.

I agree! Playing outside of the continental United States or in a location not easily driven to is no fun for us fans. I have enjoyed the program's scheduling, though I'm still hoping for a home and home (whether it be the same season or alternating years) versus Marist, SUNY Buffalo, and perhaps even Colgate (potential geographic rivalries and locations that we can all drive to with relative ease). :)

• 2 weeks later...

From the Singelais blog:

"In a leftover note, Brown said recently he’s looking to get UAlbany into an in-season tournament next year. The Great Danes haven’t played in one since they participated in the Coaches vs. Cancer at the University of Florida in 2005-06. For my sake, I hope it isn’t the Great Alaska Shootout…."

From the Singelais blog:

"In a leftover note, Brown said recently he’s looking to get UAlbany into an in-season tournament next year. The Great Danes haven’t played in one since they participated in the Coaches vs. Cancer at the University of Florida in 2005-06. For my sake, I hope it isn’t the Great Alaska Shootout…."

The line about the Great Alaska Shootout is funny.

No need to worry Mark ,even if it is the Great Alaska Shootout the TU probably would not spend that much money to send you there.

Sorry Alum73.

I meant to say not

From the Singelais blog:

The lline about the Great Alaska Shootout is funny.

No need to worry Mark ,even if it is the Great Alaska Shootout the TU probably would spend that much money to send you there.

???

Archived