UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Post Game Comments

UAlbany-UMBC postgame thoughtsMarch 1, 2009 at 6:30 pm by Mark Singelais, Staff writer

UMBC coach Randy Monroe threw a compliment UAlbany’s way after seeing how the Great Danes had outrebounded his team 41-23 on Sunday afternoon.

“Some of those guys look like they eat steel for breakfast, the size of them,” Monroe said.

But the Great Danes also lay plenty of bricks in the afternoon and evening, a big reason why they lost 68-64 to the Retrievers and ended up with the No. 7 seed in the America East Tournament next weekend at SEFCU Arena.

UAlbany’s shooting woes continued as the team shot 10 of 30 (33 percent) from the field in the second half, including 0-for-4 from 3-point range.

You know it’s gotten bad when Brown asked me jokingly after the game, “Do you have any eligibility left?”

When I explained to him that I was never much of a shooter in the first place, Brown responded, “So you’re saying you’d fit in (with this team)?”

Brown said the Great Danes will have to make some shots if they’re going to go anywhere in the tournament, starting with Saturday’s quarterfinal with Vermont. And if that doesn’t work, rely on their league-best rebounding.

“There’s no shot doctor coming in this week to fix it before Saturday,” Brown said. “So when we shoot it, the best thing we can do is sprint to the backboard and try to go get it.”

UAlbany junior forward Will Harris got back in the starting lineup and had his fifth double-double of the season with 11 points and 11 rebounds.

Very encouraging words for his team. As always he has nothing to do with the loss. Basically calling out his players and saying they can't shoot. Maybe it's your coaching Mr. Brown.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UA08 - I think Coach was downplaying the situation and trying to make light of it.

It is what it is - guys are getting decent looks and not converting. How many two or three footers didn't we convert today???

With no consistent outside threat it's tougher for Timmy to find space to penetrate .

When teams have packed it in the paint the second half of the last two games the Danes have shot 16 -59 including 1-10 from three and at the last media time out in each game the Danes were still in a position to win both games.

What do you want Coach to do , take the blame and say that he missed those 43 shots.

Heck it is what it is we are an offensively challenged team since Raffa hurt his toe and with our key perimeter shooters Aronhalt out for the season and Barazza sick or injured a good portion of the season and Will Harris struggling - lately though it was great he went for a double double today.

Maybe Coach should say that the guys are shooting great but are just unlucky????

Despite the atrocious shooting these guys have played hard the past three games.

If we continue shooting the way we have been we could get blown out in the AE tourney. If we shoot the ball decently we may be able to surprise UVM.

UA08 - I think Coach was downplaying the situation and trying to make light of it.

It is what it is - guys are getting decent looks and not converting. How many two or three footers didn't we convert today???

With no consistent outside threat it's tougher for Timmy to find space to penetrate .

When teams have packed it in the paint the second half of the last two games the Danes have shot 16 -59 including 1-10 from three and at the last media time out in each game the Danes were still in a position to win both games.

What do you want Coach to do , take the blame and say that he missed those 43 shots.

Heck it is what it is we are an offensively challenged team since Raffa hurt his toe and with our key perimeter shooters Aronhalt out for the season and Barazza sick or injured a good portion of the season and Will Harris struggling - lately though it was great he went for a double double today.

Maybe Coach should say that the guys are shooting great but are just unlucky????

Despite the atrocious shooting these guys have played hard the past three games.

If we continue shooting the way we have been we could get blown out in the AE tourney. If we shoot the ball decently we may be able to surprise UVM.

Patch,

With all due respect then what is the answer? It's not like we have all of a sudden gone cold shooting, we have been an atrocious shooting team all season, who is to blame for the ineptness of this team on the offensive end? I'm just asking?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I like CB, he's been good to me as a fan, but if our offensive hopes and the outcome of this season was pinned the shoulders of a true freshmen in Logan then we are/were in more trouble then any of us thought. Barazza was billed as a shooter, I'm sorry but he has not shown himself to be a shooter this season shooting 38%. I don't want to tare the young man down but come on! Billy Allen was supposed to be a shooter.....22% from beyond the arc, how can everyone all of a sudden who was supposed to be a shooter forget how to shoot?

I do not think the last two years have been great recruiting years! I know Anthony was supposed to be the PG of the future, IMO that was a very costly miscalculation on the part of the coaching staff. If you want a PG, you should go GET a PG instead of taking a combo guard who averaged 30ppg (obviously loves to fill it up) in HS and then try to make him into a distributor/team general on the floor. That's just my opinion though....again, the recruiting strategy needs to be refined and fine tuned.

I don't have an answere to my own questions, maybe you can share your opinion on what went wrong this season. Can it be explained in one word....INJURIES?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I like CB, he's been good to me as a fan, but if our offensive hopes and the outcome of this season was pinned the shoulders of a true freshmen in Logan then we are/were in more trouble then any of us thought. Barazza was billed as a shooter, I'm sorry but he has not shown himself to be a shooter this season shooting 38% - Bosi

It doesn't matter if you like Coach or not.

What many of us like about Coach is he's outspoken and speaks his mind. What many of us don't like about Coach is he's outspoken and speaks his mind.

First - In my initial post I said that I didn't think Brown was calling out his players, I felt he was making fun of the question. What is he suppose to say - he takes the blame for all the missed shots. It is what it is - we are not making shots.

Second - our offensive hopes were not being placed on one player - in fact Barraza, Aronhalt, Raffa, Ambrose and Harris were in my mind I thought they were going to share the responsibility. Aronhalt out for the year - Barraza sick or injured most of the season (especially the final portion) - Raffa is sorely missed scoring wise, his play tailed off when he severely hurt his toe at home vs. BU - Will Harris has really struggled from the perimeter and that left defenses able to conjest the middle and make it extremely difficult for Ambrose.

Third - Barraza in AE play is shooting 37% from 3 - Timmy Ambrose is currently 6th in the AE from 3 at 39%. I would believe a healthy Barraza would be a 40% 3 point shooter. When you say he hasn't proven himself think about how banged up he has been and what he shot banged up.

Fourth - in AE play we have been outscored by 120 points from 3 PT land so yeah!!, I think shooting has alot to do with our travails. As a team we are shooting 29% from 3 in conference.

Fifth - how does a team shoot less then 30% in the second half and still be in the game in the final minute they must be doing something else pretty damn good, it's hard to stay with a team when you don't put points on the board.

Sixth - 8 new players ....

Harris - inconsistent and strugglling, still at times a potential double double ????

Johnson - has given us solid play

Raffa - injured last 8 games, proved he can score the ball when healthy.

Barraza - sick or injured most of the season

Lindfors - RS

Aronhalt - Medical RS

Allen - coming off a RS year and major back surgery, expectedly struggled but I didn't expect him to be a key contributor.

McRae - ????

Overall disappointing - losing Raffa, Barraza and Aronhalt meant almost zero perimeter scoring.

Either it's an abberation or it's Coach's fault - beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

13-8 one of our better DI starts - 1-7 dismal ending who is at fault everyone will have their own opinion.

It is what it is.

Our best teams had guys like Iati, Brent Wilson, Siggers, Jordan and Levine who could all knock down perimeter shots.

Patch,

With all due respect then what is the answer? -Bosi

Bosi - with all due respect I don't have an answer.

What I'd like to know is how do you make a team score when they get shots but don't make shots????

Would this team be better healthy?

I am really sick and tired of people who think they know the game of basketball...think they know what it is like to play at the collegiate level...and think they know what it is like to just simply not gel.

People...get a freaking grip.

Coach has said some things and made some decisions that clearly have bothered me. What coach HASNT done that. Fact is...these kids need to freaking execute...plain and simple. I hated my high school coach...hated him dearly. Fact is...we still went out and executed his stupid arse game plans in probably the toughest league (PSAL) and toughest division at that time in the East Coast...if not nationally.

YOU GO OUT AND PLAY...PERIOD...this isnt a flippin democracy. Coaches cant do anything about shot selection...and shots.

Everyone bitching right now seems to forget that last year...we didnt have too much talent...and coached willed that team. Everyone forgets that in our 5-23 season..we had maybe 2..yes 2 legititmate DI players....and that team played its guts out for him.While there is room to question Coach...the players need to take a deep Binging hard look at themselves and stop with the woe be me attitude.

And hearing people make statements that have NO clue what the real meaning of certain stats are bothers me to no end.

Look...I think Coach has made some poor decisions this year...but I also think a majority of the blame goes to certain players not playing up to their potential...certain players making stupid decisions...and one certain player being a complete total ALOOF FOOL causing his team and coaching staff to be done with him. That one player could have changed the way UA was this year.

I am really sick and tired of people who think they know the game of basketball...think they know what it is like to play at the collegiate level...and think they know what it is like to just simply not gel.

Coach has said some things and made some decisions that clearly have bothered me. What coach HASNT done that. Fact is...these kids need to freaking execute...plain and simple. I hated my high school coach...hated him dearly. Fact is...we still went out and executed his stupid arse game plans in probably the toughest league (PSAL) and toughest division at that time in the East Coast...if not nationally.

YOU GO OUT AND PLAY...PERIOD...this isnt a flippin democracy. Coaches cant do anything about shot selection...and shots.

Everyone bitching right now seems to forget that last year...we didnt have too much talent...and coached willed that team. Everyone forgets that in our 5-23 season..we had maybe 2..yes 2 legititmate DI players....and that team played its guts out for him.While there is room to question Coach...the players need to take a deep Binging hard look at themselves and stop with the woe be me attitude.

And hearing people make statements that have NO clue what the real meaning of certain stats are bothers me to no end.

Look...I think Coach has made some poor decisions this year...but I also think a majority of the blame goes to certain players not playing up to their potential...certain players making stupid decisions...and one certain player being a complete total ALOOF FOOL causing his team and coaching staff to be done with him. That one player could have changed the way UA was this year.

I'm not quite sure what to say after this angry rant! :wacko:

Last year the America East was one of the worst conferences in all of division 1, that is the reason why the team with not too much talent won 15 games. This year with a lot more talent they are only 6-10 in a conference that is 10 times better.

Dane96, does playing college basketball make you the most knowledgeable board. This is a place for people to discuss the team. Have you read other message boards of other teams? People do the same thing. If I never played college basketball does that mean I am not allowed to criticize the coach. Your post criticizes all the players so what is the difference?

No...it doesnt...but if you aint a doctor...havent studied to be a doctor...well, I am not listenting to your medical rants.

Got the analogy?

And it has nothing to do with college ball..because those that know me know I played ONE YEAR. It has to do with understanding the game, stats, situational stats, strategy, coaching, and team. You can get that on any level.

No...it doesnt...but if you aint a doctor...havent studied to be a doctor...well, I am not listenting to your medical rants.

Got the analogy?

And it has nothing to do with college ball..because those that know me know I played ONE YEAR. It has to do with understanding the game, stats, situational stats, strategy, coaching, and team. You can get that on any level.

you dont need to listen to my rants and i never said anyone has too, but if your criticizing them arent you listening to them?

EDIT: I've kind of hinted at this but I'm gonna throw this out there....was the right mix of players brought in if the game plan isn't being executed? - Bosi

In my mind, I think overall the right mix was brought in. If executing means getting solid shots this team has gotten the shots they just haven't made the shots. As evidence when we shoot the ball well we beat teams.

That doesn't mean that each and everyone of them is going to be great.

Hindsight is also much better than foresight. Who knows how Watts will play next season or Glanton or Metcalf?

The suspension of McCrae hurt the versatility of this team, but from everything I've heard he was given a ton of chances, he was seemingly a nice kid who was just very, very immature.

Billy Allen coming off a medical redshirt year is a freshman experience wise who could become a solid contributor in time. Major back surgery is not a joke.

Logan Aronhalt a medical redshirt from what I've heard would have really helped this season.

Barraza is shooting 37% from three and has been sick and/or injured just about the entire season. I think if he was healthy he would have been better defensively and offensively would have stretched defenses.

Will Harris has been an enigma - at times he's a double double waiting to happen and at times he's incognito. Is it his knees or something else? I'm sure he would have been more effective with more perimeter scorers around him.

Michael Johnson has been a solid contributor and will be again next year.

Jake Lindfors - RS

Raffa seems to be very talented but seemingly more a combo then a pure PG. Until he got banged up he was a force to be reckoned with and hit big shots especially at UVM and at home against Bing. We really missed that at the end of the season.

This team was 13-8 before the tailspin.

With the injuries it's hard to tell but this team just needs shotmakers - they may be here but not able to play. 13-8 could just as well been 17-12 if we hade some shots in the last 8 games when our hopes sunk when hit by injuries.

I guess we'll only know when next season comes around.

I think it's tough to judge this years group of newbies because they haven't had the opportunity to play together especially the final third of the year - Lindfors, Aronhalt, Raffa and Barazza. So how do we judge them as a group.

EDIT: I've kind of hinted at this but I'm gonna throw this out there....was the right mix of players brought in if the game plan isn't being executed? - Bosi

In my mind, I think overall the right mix was brought in. If executing means getting solid shots this team has gotten the shots they just haven't made the shots. As evidence when we shoot the ball well we beat teams.

That doesn't mean that each and everyone of them is going to be great.

Hindsight is also much better than foresight. Who knows how Watts will play next season or Glanton or Metcalf?

The suspension of McCrae hurt the versatility of this team, but from everything I've heard he was given a ton of chances, he was seemingly a nice kid who was just very, very immature.

Billy Allen coming off a medical redshirt year is a freshman experience wise who could become a solid contributor in time. Major back surgery is not a joke.

Logan Aronhalt a medical redshirt from what I've heard would have really helped this season.

Barraza is shooting 37% from three and has been sick and/or injured just about the entire season. I think if he was healthy he would have been better defensively and offensively would have stretched defenses.

Will Harris has been an enigma - at times he's a double double waiting to happen and at times he's incognito. Is it his knees or something else? I'm sure he would have been more effective with more perimeter scorers around him.

Michael Johnson has been a solid contributor and will be again next year.

Jake Lindfors - RS

Raffa seems to be very talented but seemingly more a combo then a pure PG. Until he got banged up he was a force to be reckoned with and hit big shots especially at UVM and at home against Bing. We really missed that at the end of the season.

This team was 13-8 before the tailspin.

With the injuries it's hard to tell but this team just needs shotmakers - they may be here but not able to play. 13-8 could just as well been 17-12 if we hade some shots in the last 8 games when our hopes sunk when hit by injuries.

I guess we'll only know when next season comes around.

I think it's tough to judge this years group of newbies because they haven't had the opportunity to play together especially the final third of the year - Lindfors, Aronhalt, Raffa and Barazza. So how do we judge them as a group.

Again, a very logical response....I guess we'll have to wait and see what this group does next season.

Archived