UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Blog Update

RANDOM THOUGHTS

04.14.09:

I spent a few days in Detroit attending the Final Four. The games were played at Ford Field which seats over 70,000. I always enjoy going to the practices that are open to the public. The teams usually just have some fun and entertain the crowd. It is amazing that the open practices draw 20,000-25,000 people. The fact that it is free to attend probably helps!

Our players just got back from spring break. It was a good opportunity for them to get home and spend some time with family. We resume our spring workouts today. The first set of workouts after spring break are usually sluggish. The week off does a number on the body!

Our 2009-10 schedule is almost complete. I might add one more game. The schedule will be challenging and will hopefully prepare us for conference play. We struggled on the road in conference play this past season. We will try to improve in that area by testing ourselves on the road during non conference play. Completing a schedule is a tough task. Most coaches want home games and very few coaches are willing to start a series on the road. I happen to be one of the coaches that has no problem going on the road to play. I usually start working on a schedule one year in advance. I started on the 09/10 schedule in August, 2008.

New NCAA legislation prevents us from going to AAU Tournaments during the month of April. This has been very difficult for many low major and mid major D1 programs. We used to be able to attend an AAU Tournament on the weekend and see hundreds of kids in a two day period. Now you basically have to travel from school to school and evaluate prospects. Also, you can only evaluate kids that go to that particular school. It cannot be an open gym with kids from the entire area. They must attend that particular school. Spring recruiting has become very expensive for the non BCS schools.

Recruiting never ends as we will be very busy in the next week going from coast to coast evaluating talent. It is a grind that most of us enjoy.

http://www.coachwillbrown.com/thoughts.html

RANDOM THOUGHTS

04.14.09:

I always enjoy going to the practices that are open to the public. The teams usually just have some fun and entertain the crowd.

Was anyone else thinking about the preseason pledge to have some open practices when they read this? :D I got a laugh thinking about it.

Interesting stuff about the recruiting changes by the NCAA. One of the reason I really like Coach's blog.

Was anyone else thinking about the preseason pledge to have some open practices when they read this? I got a laugh thinking about it. - DP
I have randomly visited a couple of practices and never have been turned away (except when for some reason the doors were locked), I noticed too while I was there that other people were in the gym doing other things.

OK, maybe not but could this be a little shot at Raffa?

We will be better defensively at the point and I expect our overall assist/turnover ratio to be much improved - DanesRGood

This is amazing everything a coach says is interpeted that he is knocking someone, rather then just stating a fact.

Mike Johnson did a solid job at the end of last year and if Mike Black is a low turnover guy we will have a solid asst/to ratio.

Hopefully Barazza/Aronhalt/Lindfors and some newbies give us the outside shooting we totally lacked this year - to open the lane for Ambrose and Harris.

Being Raffa's name was mentioned has anyone heard where he is headed???

"I have randomly visited a couple of practices and never have been turned away (except when for some reason the doors were locked), I noticed too while I was there that other people were in the gym doing other things."

I had done the same thing several years ago when I used to live closer and went to UA to run around the campus. It's interesting to see what they're working on, not unlike sitting behind the bench during road games. It gives you a different perspective on what's going on. I haven't had much luck recently and was under the impression they would announce some open practices this year. Not a huge deal as I could understand why coaches wouldn't want people in there - I don't know that I would.

Archived