UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a head's up for those of you who normally tailgate on the West side of the RACC parking lot. They'll be setting up a tent there for the football reunion and I'm not sure where it will be exactly. I know the BPF tailgate is usually up near the arena so I wanted to give you guys a heads up.

I really hope we get a big crowd this week. Stony Brook has been averaging over 6,000 for their home games and I like to say we get close to them even though they have a ridiculous stadium.

I am pumped for this weekend. I am coming up with 3 guys who played in my era. I know this is a stupid question, BUT, is the football tailgate party closer to the practice fields or is it closer to Perimeter rd (which side of the parking lot?). I forget which way is east or west up there. Also, is Maggie's the old Sutters???

BTW the tailgate is open to all. Players and friends of the program. So all you posters come on by. We should finally put some faces and names together. See Juan Torres for the festivities.

No, Maggie's is the old Son's. Sutter's is still there.

The tailgate is away from the practice field, closer to Chapel House heading to Fuller Road.

Correction, the Homecoming events list the weight room open house as 9:00- 10:00

There is a little confusion on the tent setup.

Juan had originally indicated the tailgate would happen on the East side of the parking lot. He has since told me that he was wrong and it will actually happen on the West side of the parking lot, which is, as UAalumn72 says, the opposite side from the practice fields.

BTW we had 6,400 for homecoming last year and have not been under 5,000 since the rain vs. Stony Brook in 2005.

Should be an awesome crowd....can anyone break down the Duquesne game? What can we expect?

In short - they have a QB and WR that transfered together from Michigan State. Their QB transfer has been splitting time with a freshman though, getting about even snaps.

They beat Bucknell (a bad PL team) and had a tough close loss to Nicholls State (a bad Southland team). They also have close loses to Monmouth and Dayton (each by a TD). Monmouth is so-so this year as is Dayton.

They throw the rock - averaging 222 yards passing per game. They've been running the ball well at 153 yards per game.

They have a pretty weak run defense though - giving up 158 rushing yards per game. We should be able to smother their run game and make them pass. On the flip side, McCarty & Gannon should have big days.

They did play us tough last year.

Here's their season stats:

http://64.246.64.33/...tat.aspx?id=657

We should win this game by 2TDs. But I wouldn't be surprised if its closer with Duqeusne getting a one or two big plays.

Beware of TAKING ANYONE LIGHTLY this season.

Just a reminder.

Anyone notice how we went through the NEC schedule last year, and won all the games...

and every week (it seemed) we continued to go unnoticed and slipped lower in the polls

every week? That's what sucks about the NEC. No matter what kind of success we have

in NEC play, most of the FCS does not give a rats bass.

Starting next year, the NEC does go to the Playoffs... that will be a nice goal in the NEC.

BUt, eventually, the lack of scholarship WILL be a HUGE detriment to our football program. It will NEED to be addressed, so MIGHT AS WELL address it now.

This is good reason to either force the NEC to max out the scholarships... (which I don't think ever happens)

or look elsewhere. Any rumblings going on in the CAA and a split?

Good reason to continue to win EVERY GAME in NEC play and go UNDEFEATED.

Good reason to win the NEC title and WIN the GridIron Classic.

Good reason NOT to take ANYONE lightly.

Cream of the Crop - Let's go out and Prove it.

So...where does everyone thinking they are getting scholly money from? We are going to be at 40 in 2012. Then, anything more if we chose to move up or out...would require female opportunities. Last I looked, the ADept took a million buck budget cut last year, and student fees are in the high 400 dollar range.

To add counter level schollys, we would need anywhere from 800k to 1mm a year.

Not sure how that is happening.

So...where does everyone thinking they are getting scholly money from? We are going to be at 40 in 2012. Then, anything more if we chose to move up or out...would require female opportunities. Last I looked, the ADept took a million buck budget cut last year, and student fees are in the high 400 dollar range.

To add counter level schollys, we would need anywhere from 800k to 1mm a year.

Not sure how that is happening.

Its not anytime soon.

We all hate the NEC, thats for sure. But I think it will get better next year when playoff access becomes a reality.

In the meantime, lets hope the University Field renovations are done well and quickly and can be expanded and upgraded later on.

Unfortunately for Dr. McElory (and us) he is going to have to live with the fact that people will compare us to Stony Brook, which is on that path to being a frontrunner for whatever conference shakeup occurs.

YUP!

While I think we missed the boat and it will hurt us a bit, one thing I was thinking about last night is that:

A) we never had Golisano

B) we never had LaValle

Due to that, plus the Bing disaster and Arena monies they received, if there comes a time for SUNY to get athletic money from the State...no one in their right minds could say Albany hasn't "got next."

If we can pump 20mm into the renovations over the next 4-5 years....and then when the economy picks up ask for another 20-30mm from the State, we may be in business.

This is a topic that absolutley infuriates me. Someone posted on another thread,to handle Title IX issues it wouldn't be that big of a stretch. They may have to eliminate a mens sport and move those scholarships to a woman's sport...I don't know how it works. As you can see I really don't have a clue to Title IX.

Here is what I do know:

1) We are screwed long term if we do not get out of the NEC. SBU and many other programs will be ahead of us.

2) 40 rides to play Cincy or anyone at this level is a dreadful idea despite all the positives. (look for the Delaware State/Michigan score as a preview in a week).

3) Ford will not be here long term w/o upgrades. Bet on retirement. A very good friend of mine is on staff @ Purdue and he has big Albany ties and knows Fordie well. He would love the Albany job in the futere "provided they continue to upgrade" Without upgrades all around who are we going to get once Coach steps down(whenever that is). Hopefully Mike Simpson wants the job.

And finally, if we win the NEC again and the GIC do you really care if we beat Jacksonville, San Diego, or Dayton ???? I am also tired of playing SHU, SFPA, RMC, Wagner, Bryant(I know they are new...sorry just not that interested)!

4)A couple of NEC Champion FCS playoff appearances and a quick exit will show that the NEC is not ready to compete with the elite of FCS with 40 rides. 57 or bust!!!

If we can start renovating by slapping 5 million per year,

I think can have something quite substantial in a few years.

That, in itself, should boost recruiting significantly.

Keep adding 5 million, and like 96 said, maybe we can land

a large chunk down the road for major expansion.

I have to agree with RULER.

I think conference affiliation and the future of Albany football

go hand in hand. I think it's just as important as the urgency

of a quality football facility.

The AD needs to MAKE SURE that 5m in renovation is completed this Spring.

We need to implement this plan THIS YEAR. We've waited way too long as

it is. And they need to make sure 5 additional million each year is secured

and used toward the upgrade.

As for conference affiliation, does anyone here have any ideas?

If we HAD NO CHOICE and HAD TO leave the nec after our NEC contract expires

, what would YOU do if you were the athletic director at UA?

Archived