UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

and its a huge longshot for Wagner or Monmouth to beat CCSU. Without that in play, the program needs to start building for next year.

Actually since CCSU holds the tiebreaker on us, they'd have to lose to BOTH Wagner and Monmouth for us to go to the GIC (unless they lose to St. Francis too)

Good point. Even more unlikely we'll win the NEC.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listened to the game while working on my basement. Very sad about this. I'm sure the players are hurting from it as well. They just made too many mistakes to win and to have a chance at the end was great and showed the team doesn't quit fighting. The 28 yard FG miss REALLY hurt. Make that and we win the game on the TD on the next drive. Knowing this coach and this team they will come out fired up the next two games. I know we don't think they matter that much because of the conference title and GIC but to these seniors I'm sure the next two game will be huge for them. Last two games for the best RB our program has seen. I hope he has two HUGE games!

Well that was disappointing. I fell bad for Herb Glass. On the missed field goal, his plant foot slipped just 5 or 6 inches and it was enough to push the ball just right. we certainly didn't stop their run game which was very impressive. McCarty was definitely not 100%, but he really is a warrior. Vinny had some great plays and a few bad ones. He missed a couple throws running left that were only 5 or 6 yards that were woefully inaccurate. I didn't get to see any replays of the offensive pass interference on Booker, but I didn't see it. Usually the offender will get some separation when they push off, but both guys went up together and all four hands were fighting for the ball. Booker just looked like he won the battle. No telling what would have happened in OT, but it might have gone our way. I hope we get a good crowd on Nov. 7 for Senior day. I'll be at the Varsity Club tent at the tailgate. Stop by and say hello. If you haven't joined VC yet, You can do that too! I think there still might be some room on the bus for the Syracuse game and reception on the 9th.

I agree CCSU looks good in their last three games but I'm not conceding the conference to them yet.

I don't expect Wagner or Monmouth to roll over for them. They've beaten Bryant by a point and really should have lost their game to Sacred Heart (yes, Sacred Heart) at home. SHU was down 5 and threw an interception in the endzone that was returned 100 yards for a touchdown. I agree they should win their next three but anything can happen.

Something else interesting is brewing in the FCS world.....we may still end up in the Gridiron Classic if we win out.

There is an outside chance that Central may get an at-large to the playoffs. They'll be 10-1 and a lot of bubble teams lost yesterday (Delaware, UMass, Cal Poly, Stephen F. Austin,etc).

If CCSU finished 10-1 and it comes down to them, Liberty and the 2nd place MEAC and Patriot teams, I could see CCSU getting a bid. They'd be 10-1 with their only loss to a top 5 William & Mary team.

If that happens, the GIC allows for the 2nd place NEC team to compete.

That would strip us of any meaning playing football.

What else do we shoot for - besides going undefeated, winning NEC titles, and winning GICs.

I know where you're going with this. Conference upgrade. And I agree.

If reaching 40 schollies in 3 more years if progress in the NEC's eyes, then

I have a different meaning / vision of progress.

As it stands now, it looks like Stone Broke might go undefeated in their new conference.

It looks as though they might be heading to the playoffs OFTEN in years to come. We, in the NEC, will probably be going to the playoffs often as well.

Difference is - they are at FULL schollies and we will be maxing out at 40, eventually.

Say both us and them win conference championships often.

Who will have more success in the playoffs?

Will number of schollies be the difference maker for them?

And when the CAA breaks into 2 halves, who would have the better chance of getting an invite?

Setting oneself up for success - who's doing it?

Us? Them? Both?

One thing that I despise is the idea of THAT team pulling away and getting better than US.

I tell you what.

I don't get excited at all, about playing any of the conference games.

Now, playing a Montana or Deleware gets the old juices flowing.

If we stick with playing no-name conference teams, we might as well go

to the Big South, get FULL SCHOLLIES, and play THOSE no-name conference teams.

Especially Stone Broke, giving them a nice annual beatdown like the old days.

Then, if the CAA splits, we are in the RUNNING for a spot with the better conference.

To top it off, we can't even get a new facility.

We are going to cross our fingers and hope for some modest upgrade

over the next 5 years.

So, where are we making a committment to improvement and progress?

Little half baby steps in this ARENA doesn't get us ANYWHERE.

The ONLY reason why our football team is as good as it is.... is because

of Fordie.

I don't think there is anything else to say. That's the sad state of UAlbany football right now. Great athletes, great coaches, great teams, little institutional support.

McElroy will say the he added 32 scholarships and additional full time coaches in the last few years. That is true, but that pales in comparison to what Stony Brook has done. And it doesn't appear that they have done it at the expense of any other sports either. New basketball arena. New academic support area. New facilities for lacrosse, field hocky and soccer. New baseball facilities (thank in part to Joe Nathan).

Anyway, at this point the sad thing is if the CAA ever expanded or a new conference were to evolve, there would be three teams in contention for one or two open spots:

Fordham

Stony Brook

Albany

We'd be the 3rd team on that list by a LONG SHOT right now.

I don't think there is anything else to say. That's the sad state of UAlbany football right now. Great athletes, great coaches, great teams, little institutional support.

McElroy will say the he added 32 scholarships and additional full time coaches in the last few years. That is true, but that pales in comparison to what Stony Brook has done. And it doesn't appear that they have done it at the expense of any other sports either. New basketball arena. New academic support area. New facilities for lacrosse, field hocky and soccer. New baseball facilities (thank in part to Joe Nathan).

Anyway, at this point the sad thing is if the CAA ever expanded or a new conference were to evolve, there would be three teams in contention for one or two open spots:

Fordham

Stony Brook

Albany

Maybe we can keep signing on to play FBS schools like Cincy next year and get paid! eventually we will have enough money.

maybe its up to us as Alumni to strike it rich, and then be super BOOSTERS!! :D

Fordham

Stony Brook

Albany

Maybe we can keep signing on to play FBS schools like Cincy next year and get paid! eventually we will have enough money.

maybe its up to us as Alumni to strike it rich, and then be super BOOSTERS!! biggrin.gif

Both would help for sure!

One point though is that there are a lot of alumni (wealthy and not wealthy) who aren't willing or interested in giving right now, especially to the stadium project, because the school hasn't put out actual plans.

I can understand that McElroy has had his hands tied,

trying to deal with New York State and getting funding for his project.

He certainly hasn't had the advantages that Stone Broke has in the

state's higher education committees. That dude has manipulated that committee for his best interests

in a serious way.

But, what I can't understand, is how we go schedule a FBS game at Cincinnati,

and see the importance of such a strategy, but NOT see the importance of conference

affiliation and scholarships for the future of our football program and its respective

success.

Unfortunately, us fans are kept in the dark about everything in regards to this athletic department.

Who knows if there is anything brewing. Could be alot, or could be absolutely nothing. After waiting

for state funding for the last 5 years, and realizing we waited and got nothing in return, I'm not optimistic about the silence.

Our present contract with the NEC began what year?

Doesn't it expire at the end of next season?

Archived