UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

The writing has been on the wall for a while now. It would be a perfect opportunity for us to move up. An easy trade - URI for Albany.....but I really just don't see our Administration moving in that direction.

The writing has been on the wall for a while now. It would be a perfect opportunity for us to move up. An easy trade - URI for Albany.....but I really just don't see our Administration moving in that direction.

If you put the Cincinnati FBS date pushback decision with the possibility of Rhode Island joining the NEC, that sounds like maybe we might up scholarships? I'm not saying to 64... but maybe to counter level, which is 50ish? Could I be reading this correctly? I think that would be a big win for us. Rhode Island would give the NEC a bit more credability. The counter would be huge for us to start some money games AND raise our profile (aka build a fan base)

If you put the Cincinnati FBS date pushback decision with the possibility of Rhode Island joining the NEC, that sounds like maybe we might up scholarships? I'm not saying to 64... but maybe to counter level, which is 50ish? Could I be reading this correctly? I think that would be a big win for us. Rhode Island would give the NEC a bit more credability. The counter would be huge for us to start some money games AND raise our profile (aka build a fan base)

We'd need to average 57.5 scholarships (90% of the allowable 63) over the 2 years prior to the Cincy game to be considered a counter. That means we'll have to be at least at 52 for the 2011 season and then at 63 for the 2012 season. Neither of which we can do in the NEC. So unless we're going Indy or to the CAA North in 2011, I don't see any other way to get to counter status in time for the 2013 Cincy game.

Looks like this is really going to happen

http://www.projo.com/uri/content/sp_col_uri_28_06-29-10_IPJ1LTA_v3.deb069.html

Thorr Bjorn, URI’s director of athletics, would not confirm that URI has received an invitation to join the NEC as a football-only member. Bjorn did say that URI “is committed to the CAA for the next two years [2010 and 2011] but is having “serious discussions with the NEC and talking about logistics of joining in 2013.” Bjorn also said that URI expects to make a formal announcement about the football program’s status in August.

This is really the only chance we'll have to get out of the NEC. But who really knows whether the CAA would even want to replace URI with another northern team. The only real reason they'd want to is if UMass, UNH and Maine push for another Northern school.

Finally, about time this happened. Smart move by the NEC going 40 schollies because it makes the conference very attractive to these schools that are full of traditions but logistically isolated. Plus it give the conference instant credibility.

I can see it break down like this...

North

Maine

UNH

URI

Bryant

UA

CCSU

South

Duquense

RMU

St. Francis

Wagner

SHU

Monmouth

Possible Championship game, maybe...depends on Scheduling but I think this move could save 1-AA football in New England.

It would be great to get into a league with UNH, but unfortunately I don't think threre's a snowballs chance in hell that they'll reduce their funding.

UMass and UNH are in the CAA as long as the CAA doesn't kick them out.

Maine is questionable, but they'll try their hardest to stay with UNH.

Finally, about time this happened. Smart move by the NEC going 40 schollies because it makes the conference very attractive to these schools that are full of traditions but logistically isolated. Plus it give the conference instant credibility.

I can see it break down like this...

North

Maine

UNH

URI

Bryant

UA

CCSU

South

Duquense

RMU

St. Francis

Wagner

SHU

Monmouth

Possible Championship game, maybe...depends on Scheduling but I think this move could save 1-AA football in New England.

You cannot have a championship game and be eligible for the playoffs; NCAA rules.

Hasn't the NEC been adding 1/4 of a scholarship each year for the past 2 decades? When should we be at 40, by 2020?

If Rhode Island is in fact heading to the NEC in a few years, because they want to diminish their program, then that's not a good sign for a few of us UAlbany FCS football fans. I can't imagine that the NEC would have ANY plans to increase that scholarship number. Would RI leave the CAA for a reduction of only a dozen scholarships? I don't see the NEC raising the number ever.

With having almost zero chance to go to the CAA, we should be happy that the NEC will be at 40 rides eventually, and that the NEC champ goes to a playoff.

We don't need no stinkin stadium anyways!!!!!!!!! I have good health care coverage, and can afford to have the wood splinters pulled out of my arse after the games, so what's the big deal.

My opinion hasn't changed. It would be a smart move for the NEC to max out at 63, and for those programs that want to step up and utilize this, more power to them. The ones that don't, they can stay and try to compete.... if not, they could head to another conference or downgrade to DIII. Why compete at the DI level anyways.

Maybe the NCAA should make 63 full scholarships mandatory at the FCS football level. If programs don't want to abide, then they can head down to DII or DIII. It's kind of ridiculous with such a discrepancy in numbers among conferences.

I can't imagine that fcs football is ever going to be lost. Ain't going to happen.

The schools that want to stay, will find a way to keep football alive and well.

Question is, does Philip or McElroy want to upgrade our football program, or keep it

the way it's been. Ford ain't going to be around forever. Better build now.

Forty rides by 2013 T-U story

Scholarships were first allowed in 2006 (up to 30).

Need-only aid before that since the league started in 1996.

No, I don't think URI moving to reduce their expenses is a good sign for upping the number. Lower travel expenses can't be their only motive.

Agree on all accounts.

URI coming into the NEC isn't good news for our future in the NEC.

I sure hope someone is making moves behind the scenes. If not, we'll be stuck in the NEC forever - no exageration.

I think URI would be complete idiots to come to the NEC if we're still at 40 scholarships. If as a condition to join, the limit was raised to the counter minimum of 57 they would have it all.

• Lower Travel Costs
    Lower scholarship costs
    A much improved chance to win (CAA vs NEC)
    Maintain the ability to still play money games

I can't see the logic in 40 scholarships. If URI wants to keep costs low, come to the NEC but the difference between 40 and 57 scholarships means the loss of money games and maintaining an occasional game with historic rivals. Its not worth the 17 scholarships. One money game pays for the extra 17 scholarships.

I think URI would be complete idiots to come to the NEC if we're still at 40 scholarships. If as a condition to join, the limit was raised to the counter minimum of 57 they would have it all.

• Lower Travel Costs
    Lower scholarship costs
    A much improved chance to win (CAA vs NEC)
    Maintain the ability to still play money games

I can't see the logic in 40 scholarships. If URI wants to keep costs low, come to the NEC but the difference between 40 and 57 scholarships means the loss of money games and maintaining an occasional game with historic rivals. Its not worth the 17 scholarships. One money game pays for the extra 17 scholarships.

I think its a political compromise. I'm sure they're getting pressure to follow the Hofstra/Northeastern route and moving to the NEC may be a way to keep the wolves at bay.

And yes - the NEC may turn into the place Northeast FCS teams go to die.

Archived