UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Timmy Ambrose

In the interest of not wanting to sweep things under the rug... http://blog.timesunion.com/asp/1798/ualbany-star-guard-arrested-after-msg-rout/

It's out there so might as well post it here.

I hear he was NOT arrested as alleged in the ASP blog entry. He was issued a ticket and went to bed. There were no drugs, no alcohol...nothing.

In the interest of not wanting to sweep things under the rug... http://blog.timesunion.com/asp/1798/ualbany-star-guard-arrested-after-msg-rout/

I hear he was NOT arrested as alleged in the ASP blog entry. He was issued a ticket and went to bed. There were no drugs, no alcohol...nothing.

Theyre trying to make news out of something minor.

Theyre trying to make news out of something minor.

I'd be the first to shake my head and call a spade a spade if there was drinking/assault/drugs involved. But come on...a ticket? Furthermore, there was NO arrest, he drove away with a ticket in hand.

The ASP's report does seem kind of conflicting..says he was arrested..but UPD says it's like a regular traffic ticket. I'm certainly not a lawyer..but I didn't think this was something that a person is normally arrested for..unless something else was involved..which CC seems to be indicating there was not.

I'd like to ask the ASP, so which was it? Did he get arrested or was this a regular ticket?

I don't post very often, but I've got to stick up for my former ASP colleagues here.

Ambrose may have been given a ticket or he may have been cuffed, but either way it wasn't a simple traffic violation. Aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle is a misdemeanor criminal charge.

Also, an "aggravated unlicensed" charge means that his license was either suspended or revoked. Of course, that may be as simple as unpaid parking tickets...

The UPD daily crime log seems to suggest he was arrested:

ARRESTEE: AMBROSE, TIMOTHY S

Reported Resident of: Brentwood, NY, 117

Race & Ethnicity: Black - Non-Hispanic

Sex: Male

Age at Arrest: 23

Arrest Number: 00031-11

Incident Number: 02685-11

Date of Arrest: 2/11/2011

Time of Arrest: 0321

Location of Arrest: 1400 Washington Ave. Albany, NY

Arresting Officer: PO COHEN, BART

CHARGES

Law

Section

Short Title

VTL 0511.01 AGGRAVATED UNLIC OPER VEHIC 3

I'd like to ask the ASP, so which was it? Did he get arrested or was this a regular ticket?

I don't post very often, but I've got to stick up for my former ASP colleagues here.

Ambrose may have been given a ticket or he may have been cuffed, but either way it wasn't a simple traffic violation. Aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle is a misdemeanor criminal charge.

Also, an "aggravated unlicensed" charge means that his license was either suspended or revoked. Of course, that may be as simple as unpaid parking tickets...

The UPD daily crime log seems to suggest he was arrested:

ARRESTEE: AMBROSE, TIMOTHY S

Reported Resident of: Brentwood, NY, 117

Race & Ethnicity: Black - Non-Hispanic

Sex: Male

Age at Arrest: 23

Arrest Number: 00031-11

Incident Number: 02685-11

Date of Arrest: 2/11/2011

Time of Arrest: 0321

Location of Arrest: 1400 Washington Ave. Albany, NY

Arresting Officer: PO COHEN, BART

CHARGES

Law

Section

Short Title

VTL 0511.01 AGGRAVATED UNLIC OPER VEHIC 3

I guess we need to know what the definition of "arrest" is. Does stopped mean arrest? I know that it wasn't an arrest in the traditional sense where he was cuffed, booked etc.

If there is more to this I'm sure it will come out.

I guess we need to know what the definition of "arrest" is. Does stopped mean arrest? I know that it wasn't an arrest in the traditional sense where he was cuffed, booked etc.

Good point. I have no idea if UPD posts every charge on its website as an "arrest." Either way, they assigned him an arrest number and refer to him as "arrestee." Legally speaking, can you be considered under arrest without being cuffed or booked? I don't know.

Good point. I have no idea if UPD posts every charge on its website as an "arrest." Either way, they assigned him an arrest number and refer to him as "arrestee." Legally speaking, can you be considered under arrest without being cuffed or booked? I don't know.

You are probably right, to say that it was a simply a traffic stop is probably simplifying it to much. Likewise, if he was never detained, cuffed, booked etc. I'm not sure how it's an "arrest".

Moral of the story, pay your tickets.

Also, it seems to me UPD likely wouldn't have let him drive away if he had a suspended license. But impounding or towing his car when he was probably a few hundred feet from his dorm seems a bit cold. I have no idea what they would do in that situation.

You are probably right, to say that it was a simply a traffic stop is probably simplifying it to much. Likewise, if he was never detained, cuffed, booked etc. I'm not sure how it's an "arrest".

I'm with you. It will be interesting to see what kind of details come out.

AUO 3rd is a misdemeanor - it can be based on as few as 1 suspension on your driving record and no more than 3 suspensions on 3 different dates.

because it is a misdemeanor it can be reported as an arrest - there are no fingerprints or photos

usually the subject is given a traffic summons to appear in court on a future date

this is a very common charge and IMO not a big deal

but

Timmy - take care of your tickets and avoid the embarrassment

If that is the worst that can be dug up then this team really is a troop of boy scouts

Black's Law Dictionary at 124 (9th ed.) defines arrest as follows: "1. A seizure or forcible restraint. 2. The taking or keeping of a person in custody by legal authority, esp. in response to a criminal charge; specif., the apprehension of someone for the purpose of securing the administration of the law, esp. of bringing that person before a court."

What follows the definition above is a commentary discussing the amorphous nature of what constitutes an "arrest" since it's a generic term. Certainly, where there is custody and a seizure of the person for purposes of arraignment, there has been an "arrest" as the public uses the term. But the definition above for "arrest" only speaks to a seizure generally and not of its duration, so a traffic stop---so long as the person did not feel that (s)he had the right to leave---could also constitute an "arrest" as some may use the term.

An arrest also need not involve the use of force or "forcible restraint" (i.e., handcuffs)---only a show of authority and a submission to that authority (i.e., pulling one's car over to the side of the road or stopping to answer the officer's questions).

My $.02: It's a stupid story. Beat Stonybrook.

Archived