UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I noticed they changed the headline. Same article but the headline went from touting a stadium to filling a need. Filling a need is a much more fair appraisal of what President Philip actual wrote in his communication. Maybe even the TU realized that headline was grossly unfair?

I guess it's open for interpretation, but I think the word tout is most commonly used in common language in the negative to describe a flaunting tone.

I also don't think he was either trying to promote or publicize either. I think it's pretty clear he's correcting misinformation.

Bit maybe I'm the one who is too sensitive to the TU?

Okay I need someone to really spell this one out for me. Why does it seem that the Timesunion is very anti-UAlbany? I understand a newspaper trying to show both sides but it always seems that the TU is anti-UA.

The TU fans the flames of generally anti-UAlbany sentiment in the community. Let's face it- the locals don't respect the University- and the TU plays to that. Mix in a few kegs and eggs riots and it's easy to see why.

I wish they would take a stand along with the University and educate the populace about all the good things we do, but the TU is in business to make a profit and scandalous news sells papers (not many these days though)

The TU fans the flames of generally anti-UAlbany sentiment in the community. Let's face it- the locals don't respect the University- and the TU plays to that. Mix in a few kegs and eggs riots and it's easy to see why.

Location is also a factor. There is great pressure created from being nearly built-out, surrounded by other vibrant land-uses, with admins looking to acquire small bits of private land, and the state unwilling to give up Harriman. Thing is, even if UA acquired all of Harriman to its total holdings, it would still control ~400 fewer acres of land than UB and SBU. If you plopped Downtown Buffalo where Downtown Albany is, UB's South Campus would sit as far away as RPI's campus, and our North Campus would be in Rotterdam. UB being far out in Amherst, which owes its growth to the presence of the campus, with lots of land between the campus and other uses, means a lot. UB actually sued to stop student housing developments near the campus the Town had approved, because it wanted the land for future tech spin-offs. The Town won, and thousands of student apartments are being built. They wanted students now, rather than development maybe someday. I think UA would have a much easier time with growth if the campus were built up in the undeveloped lands in Colonie or Guilderland, making it more of a metropolitan campus (between Albany and Schenectady), in the area's view. That's how UB is viewed, sitting as far from Downtown Buffalo as Downtown Niagara Falls, and Downtown Lockport.

Buffalo has the population of Newark..spread across 2X the square mileage, so it is pro-growth too. UB wanted to aquire 15 acres of church-owned, low-income apartments to build new facilities for our med. programs. A few residents were worried, but the church sold to us anyway and is working to relocate residents, saying it was too important for the city's future to pass up. That would never happen so easy, if all at, in Albany.

Fred LeBrun is taking his turn at complaining. I remember him as a cranky old man when I was in Albany 15 years ago... some things never change. I emailed him to try to educate him.

If someone has time, a letter to the editor in favor of the project would be helpful.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/UAlbany-s-secret-playbook-1469430.php

Fred LeBrun is taking his turn at complaining. I remember him as a cranky old man when I was in Albany 15 years ago... some things never change. I emailed him to try to educate him.

If someone has time, a letter to the editor in favor of the project would be helpful.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/UAlbany-s-secret-playbook-1469430.php

Besides the anti-athletic comments, I actually agree with LeBrun here.

I think he's opened the door for a very promising discussion if the University wants to step up and have it.

My question is...what will come of any discussion? By all accounts they have the funds in place, the more info you give the naysayers the more ammo we give them. The more I think about it, the more I support the nose to the grindstone approach. People are just waiting to sabotage this thing. I could see opening up discussion if we needed their support to get public funding but we don't. What good will come of very open and candid discussions? The B&M Brigade can't stop it so let them talk.

Here's another story from the TU. I don't understand the supposition that the TU has to approve everything UAlbany does. The AJC didn't do that for Grorgia Tech. The Union Tribune doesn't do that for San Diego State. Yes, UAlbany is a state school but it should manage its own affairs. As far as I know, the university hasn't asked for funds it doesn't already have. When did the TU have to bless every project on campus? The TU is trying to inflame people over a tiny project. Stadium aside, UAlbany needs to be like any other state university in this country and that means breaking the TU's shackles.

http://www.timesunion.com/opinion/article/UAlbany-kicks-off-a-hot-potato-1469346.php

Archived