UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

President

alum73

From: All UAlbany Faculty and Staff [mailto:ALLFACSTAFF-L@listserv.albany.edu] On Behalf Of President's Office-Notices

Sent: Friday, November 18, 2011 3:40 PM

To: ALLFACSTAFF-L@listserv.albany.edu

Subject: Message from President George Philip

Dear Members of the Campus Community:

It comes with mixed emotions that I announce my plans to step down as the president of the University at Albany. As you may know, in November 2007, I postponed my retirement plans to serve as UAlbany's interim president. Later, in 2009, I was honored when Chancellor Zimpher asked me to serve as UAlbany's 18th president. As an alumnus and long-time UAlbany advocate, nothing has been more personally rewarding and gratifying than to serve my alma mater. I have witnessed the University's growth from a teacher's college to a thriving research University and believe it is poised for even greater success.

It is now time for me to resume my retirement plans. Therefore, I have informed Chancellor Zimpher I will serve as president until a search is completed and the State University of New York Board of Trustees appoints a new president. I look forward to spending more time with my family and continuing my friendships with the many University colleagues I have come to know and admire over the years.

It has been a privilege to work with a remarkable group of faculty, students and staff. Together we have accomplished a number of historic milestones. Despite challenging economic times, the University achieved one of its most successful five-year capital plans attracting nearly $300 million. The University endowment has increased by 26%, and last year, we exceeded $450 million in research expenditures - the most among all public institutions of higher education in New York. We continue to serve as a catalyst for economic growth for the region most notably through the expansion of the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering.

Most recently we worked with Chancellor Zimpher to successfully advocate for Governor Cuomo's landmark NYSUNY 2020 legislation that promises to build the University and spur regional economic growth for years to come.

I want to extend a special thanks to all of you who steered the University through its successful 10-year accreditation process with the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) and oversaw the development and launch of the University's Strategic Plan.

I am pleased the University will soon have a new School of Business building, a new student housing complex and an expanded Campus Center.

We are now attracting leading researchers to our pioneering RNA Institute to develop and deliver novel medicines, vaccines and diagnostics. I am also proud of the University's new Institute for Financial Market Regulation, a first-of-its-kind degree and research program to protect and safeguard our financial markets.

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than to know that our student and faculty efforts in community service and engagement were recognized by the 2010 (US) President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll.

In the months ahead I look forward to our continued work together. I know my passion for UAlbany is shared by so many of you, which gives me high confidence about the bright future that lies ahead for this great institution.

Sincerely yours,

George M. Philip

President

I don't mind this announcement, not because I don't like the job he's done because he's been a good one. Let's face it though, he reluctantly took the position after being talked into it by Chancellor Zimpher. I hated going on for years with an interim president and us not having a voice. The fact that he'll stay on while we find a more permanent and steady leadership for years to come is a bit of a comfort.

Even if it takes a year, we still have a strong and permanent voice advocating for us and not someone with an interim title.

BTW, does anyone know the $ figure of our endowment? I know it was small hence such a high % rise but I'd like to know the $$$ figure.

we just can't seem to hold on to our leaders, be it from tragedy or something else. Hopefully we find someone solid to replace him.

With all the positive things happening with Nano, Business and RNA we should hopefully be able to land good talent

From: All UAlbany Faculty and Staff [mailto:ALLFACSTAFF-L@listserv.albany.edu] On Behalf Of President's Office-Notices

Sent: Friday, November 18, 2011 3:40 PM

To: ALLFACSTAFF-L@listserv.albany.edu

Subject: Message from President George Philip

Dear Members of the Campus Community:

It comes with mixed emotions that I announce my plans to step down as the president of the University at Albany. As you may know, in November 2007, I postponed my retirement plans to serve as UAlbany's interim president. Later, in 2009, I was honored when Chancellor Zimpher asked me to serve as UAlbany's 18th president. As an alumnus and long-time UAlbany advocate, nothing has been more personally rewarding and gratifying than to serve my alma mater. I have witnessed the University's growth from a teacher's college to a thriving research University and believe it is poised for even greater success.

It is now time for me to resume my retirement plans. Therefore, I have informed Chancellor Zimpher I will serve as president until a search is completed and the State University of New York Board of Trustees appoints a new president. I look forward to spending more time with my family and continuing my friendships with the many University colleagues I have come to know and admire over the years.

It has been a privilege to work with a remarkable group of faculty, students and staff. Together we have accomplished a number of historic milestones. Despite challenging economic times, the University achieved one of its most successful five-year capital plans attracting nearly $300 million. The University endowment has increased by 26%, and last year, we exceeded $450 million in research expenditures - the most among all public institutions of higher education in New York. We continue to serve as a catalyst for economic growth for the region most notably through the expansion of the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering.

Most recently we worked with Chancellor Zimpher to successfully advocate for Governor Cuomo's landmark NYSUNY 2020 legislation that promises to build the University and spur regional economic growth for years to come.

I want to extend a special thanks to all of you who steered the University through its successful 10-year accreditation process with the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) and oversaw the development and launch of the University's Strategic Plan.

I am pleased the University will soon have a new School of Business building, a new student housing complex and an expanded Campus Center.

We are now attracting leading researchers to our pioneering RNA Institute to develop and deliver novel medicines, vaccines and diagnostics. I am also proud of the University's new Institute for Financial Market Regulation, a first-of-its-kind degree and research program to protect and safeguard our financial markets.

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than to know that our student and faculty efforts in community service and engagement were recognized by the 2010 (US) President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll.

In the months ahead I look forward to our continued work together. I know my passion for UAlbany is shared by so many of you, which gives me high confidence about the bright future that lies ahead for this great institution.

Sincerely yours,

George M. Philip

President

Something very disturbing about this statement.

I like Pres Philip. A good leader at a tough time. Sorry to hear he's retiring. I'm just glad he's staying with us until we find a replacement, which can take years.

Pres Philip supported athletics. There was a lot of growth under his watch from Liberty Dorms, Albany Nano, RNA Institutute and NY2020. The flagship debate seems dead. Flagship seems to mean all 4 SUNY Centers. We've even made progress in US News college rankings.

I hope he'll oversee the construction of a new stadium but considering the Albany community I can see why he left it out of his email. I am concerned about the stadium though. This final approval has been ongoing for six to eight weeks. Now there is a contract change. To me, building a stadium will be his biggest achievement because it was the hardest task. Any clown can build a stadium at Florida. UNC, UCLA, UConn etc. You nearly need to be a god to build one in the anti-athletic environment of Albany. His coup de grace.

I also think Pres. Phillip was a winner for the University and Athletics. I only wish he was able to cut more undersubscribed & redundant (SUNY wide speaking) academic programs so our strengths and focus areas could receive adequate funding. Lets hope for a similarly pragmatic and strong leader on deck.

Archived