UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

It's Time to Be Serious About the Baseball and Softball Facilities.

Now that we will have a great football and soccer facility to go along with the renovated track, the SEFCU as well as top notch field hockey and lacrosse facilities, it is time to start focusing the school and athletic department administration on the softball and baseball facilities.....to include renovations to the fields (to include lights) and locker room facilities. These teams deserve Division 1 quality facilities as well!!!!!!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....it is time to start focusing the school and athletic department administration on the softball and baseball facilities.....to include renovations to the fields (to include lights) and locker room facilities. These teams deserve Division 1 quality facilities as well!!!!!! GreatDane87

I think everyone would like to see facility improvements across the board - our outstanding volleyball team plays in the antiquated Phys Ed facilty.

Agree...and it can be done cheaply. 1000 baseball seats...500 lax seats - Dane96

D96 our LAX has seating and what do you mean by cheaply???? Nothing comes cheaply through the State.

What's amazing is that I would love to see one UA project completed fully before we move foward.

Look at the Fallon complex. We are moving forward on our next great group of major improvements and we already have GD87 calling for Baseball and Softball improvements (all needed) but Fallon was suppose to have storage, concessions and bathroom/lockerroom facilities under the permanent stands and those areas have remained the same since the fields were opened.

I would really like to see UA do complete jobs and not just have a ton of projects 50 - 75% complete.

Can we name one sport facility that is truly an updated top notch Mid Major facility.

....it is time to start focusing the school and athletic department administration on the softball and baseball facilities.....to include renovations to the fields (to include lights) and locker room facilities. These teams deserve Division 1 quality facilities as well!!!!!! GreatDane87

I think everyone would like to see facility improvements across the board - our outstanding volleyball team plays in the antiquated Phys Ed facilty.

Agree...and it can be done cheaply. 1000 baseball seats...500 lax seats - Dane96

D96 our LAX has seating and what do you mean by cheaply???? Nothing comes cheaply through the State.

What's amazing is that I would love to see one UA project completed fully before we move foward.

Look at the Fallon complex. We are moving forward on our next great group of major improvements and we already have GD87 calling for Baseball and Softball improvements (all needed) but Fallon was suppose to have storage, concessions and bathroom/lockerroom facilities under the permanent stands and those areas have remained the same since the fields were opened.

I would really like to see UA do complete jobs and not just have a ton of projects 50 - 75% complete.

Can we name one sport facility that is truly an updated top notch Mid Major facility.

Fallon is redundant. The concession, storage and bathrooms in the stadium will be shared going forward.

Why do we need two facilities? Why can't Lax play in the stadium? I never understood having a separate Lax game-day facility.

Fallon is redundant. The concession, storage and bathrooms in the stadium will be shared going forward.

Why do we need two facilities? Why can't Lax play in the stadium? I never understood having a separate Lax game-day facility. -danefan

I don't see the redundancy - both facilities could host events simultaneously and should have separate concession, storage and bathrooms. Also if you have a FH or LAX game going on you are going to have to open the Multi Purpose stadium to use facilities? I think you open yourself to some risks/problems.

Why do we need two facilities?

I don't know but some one already has complained about possible soccer lines on the FB surface now add LAX lines.

I am just hoping when the new facility is done it is done right.

Why do we need two facilities? Why can't Lax play in the stadium? I never understood having a separate Lax game-day facility. -danefan

I don't see the redundancy - both facilities could host events simultaneously and should have separate concession, storage and bathrooms. Also if you have a FH or LAX game going on you are going to have to open the Multi Purpose stadium to use facilities? I think you open yourself to some risks/problems.

Why do we need two facilities?

I don't know but some one already has complained about possible soccer lines on the FB surface now add LAX lines.

I am just hoping when the new facility is done it is done right.

I think the concession area in the stadium is designed to be used by other events when the stadium is not. E.g, Lax/FH, etc..

I know people complain about lines on the field, but that is a poor excuse to spend $5m extra dollars.

How often will the two facilities be used simultaneously? The sports using them are in different seasons.

There are a bunch of good comments here. We owe it to the student athletes that travel far and wide to attempt to provide them the best experience possible. As I heard so many many times during the football stadium development.....new, better facilities will attract better talent. While I know there are many kids who just want to play, I think it would be better if we were at closer to the top then nearer to the bottom.

As I said before.....its time to be serious about upgarding all faciities to include baseball and softball and give these kids what they deserve. It is unfair to just upgrade based on wins and losses. To do so with that mindset opens a whole new discussion!!!!!

I meant softball. Doh.

As for cheaply, Southern Bleachers could do seating at those sites for less than 500k

That said, we have adequate facilites for both of those teams right now based on comparsions to MOST of our level of NE baseball. Baseball already has to fundraise...so I highly doubt they are getting facilities right now. I'd rather us spend money on upgrading the player scholarships and travelling budget rather than elaborate lockerrooms. Not saying they don't deserve it...but money for schollies is much more important.

I, like others, would prefer a real scoreboard in the RACC (probably at least 250k to 500k) with player numbers, fouls, etc...that hangs from one end of the arena on a wall before LAX gets lockerrooms/finishing touches (I am torn b/w finishing and what Danefan says would be redundant facilities for concessions; I tend to agree) or the softball or baseball fields are touched.

It's embarrasing that we have two scoreboards that are A)barely serviceable (that would be the one on the scorer's desk, which is adequate for that area); and B) completely outdated for a DIVISION I team (the one above the court that doesnt even show the guest team other than calling them "GUEST"). High schools have better scoreboards...and our DI team(s) deserve much better...but more to the point...the fans deserve much better.

And that shouldn't have to come out of Coach Brown's end since he wont own the board if he retires, leaves, or is not renewed. That should be bought by the school.

Edited by Dane96

There was an Athletic Master Plan developed several years back by Sasaki Associates with many new and upgraded facilities as part of the overall development of the south side of the campus over the next 20 plus years. Again, it takes time, commitment and funding to bring any project together. It started with the two artifical turf fields, addition of the pressbox and seating at Fallon Field, and now the Stadium and new track. All these projects in just about 8 years worth of effort - I think that's pretty good. Softball and baseball improvements are in the mix in the overall plan, but so are other athletic amenities that the campus does not currently have at the moment. Atheltics is going in the right direction, so please be patient.

Brutus-- Well said.

I think most of the frustration with the FB facility was three-fold:

1. The changing of the landscape, especially with regard to CAA Football and Stony Brook.

2. The "pitches" that were made to many potential donors were no "lies" but often did not make sense to us.

3. The potential that frankly, if/when Bob Ford retired without a stadium, the football team could have been on the choppin block by the adminisration ala Northeastern and Hofstra.

That said, I think we are all thankfull and congratulatory to President Philips, both Athletic and Non-Athletic UA Staff and Board Members who worked tirelessly, the politicos who finally stepped up...and in the end, Dr. McElroy.

It is my understanding there is an "indoor facility" planned for...which would truly place us a cut above!

There was an Athletic Master Plan developed several years back by Sasaki Associates with many new and upgraded facilities as part of the overall development of the south side of the campus over the next 20 plus years. Again, it takes time, commitment and funding to bring any project together. It started with the two artifical turf fields, addition of the pressbox and seating at Fallon Field, and now the Stadium and new track. All these projects in just about 8 years worth of effort - I think that's pretty good. Softball and baseball improvements are in the mix in the overall plan, but so are other athletic amenities that the campus does not currently have at the moment. Atheltics is going in the right direction, so please be patient.

Thank you...overall I like the commitment to improving the facilities and ultimately the fan experience but this is a process that will take time. We need to be careful and build out/plan rationally instead of biting off to much and not getting anything done right.

I would agree with Click....however....the softball and baseball teams have been waiting a pretty good while for their facilities of which both were supposed to be upgraded under the facilities master plan. The baseball field, while a nice playing surface has absoluetly no facilities near the field. Frankly, this can be easily rectified within a reasonable cost for upgraded seating and pressbox facilities and a freestanding building that could serve as a locker room, club house and indoor batting facility. At this point...it is marginally better then a high school field.

I would agree with Click....however....the softball and baseball teams have been waiting a pretty good while for their facilities of which both were supposed to be upgraded under the facilities master plan. The baseball field, while a nice playing surface has absoluetly no facilities near the field. Frankly, this can be easily rectified within a reasonable cost for upgraded seating and pressbox facilities and a freestanding building that could serve as a locker room, club house and indoor batting facility. At this point...it is marginally better then a high school field. - GD87

I think everyone would like to see Baseball, Softball and Volleyball have upgraded facilities but what you say is reasonable cost look a little outrageous at this time.

Remember with Title IX if you do it for baseball you'll probably have to do it for Softball. Once you start talking free standing buildings your talking big bucks for the two sites and previously you mentioned lighting at both foelds too.

All are needed but it this environment and with a 20 million dollar + amount being spent currently on new facilities I just don't see it happening in the near future unless significant donations come in to assist.

Again I think the facilities need upgrading but I can't see it happening until the new projects are complete or new money comes in.

Lets just remember that that is over 20 million dollars to basically take care of 2 sports (football and track). While I am all for it, what about the other 17??? Actually the number may be less because some of the teams already have had quality facilities created for them.

As for how much to do....Patch mentioned lighting....an expensive proposition for a field....about 250,000 to 300,000.....a nice amenity but not more important then quality seating, concession and restroom facilities as well as locker room and hitting facilities.

As folks on here have pointed out so many times....when recruits come they want to see what the university has to offer. That was one of the reasons that so many cited the need for a football facility. Cost for that millions of dollars. Trust me, they are not that impressed when they go to the baseball or softball field and then to the locker room.