UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Indoor Practice Facility or Upgraded Bubble

As everyone said, UAlbany doesn't have the money. If we did, it would be better put to work on the stadium. The City of Albany also doesn't have the money.

The only resource with the money is the state aka Governor Cuomo. It's up to him. Gov Cuomo do you want the Giants in Albany?

In 16 years all UA has gotten was some air conditioning. This would be the first big win. Especially if we could get a Youngstown State facility. It makes sense because as others pointed out we could reconfigure SEFCU and remove the track. UA Basketball, UA Track, UA Football and the Giants all win. The governor can make it happen if he wanted to.

He can "make it happen" if it gets him to the white house.. ie: the NY Works commercials. I don't think keeping the Giants here will get him to Pennsylvania Avenue. (And I'm a member of his party, but I see what goes on)

And let me add this .. is a real problem. State's debt limit may be cause for concern http://capitalregion.ynn.com/content/politics/593731/state-s-debt-limit-may-be-cause-for-concern/

Any new project would be bonded..

PS: I'm all for new projects, but there is a fiscal reality we live in.

Anyone know the rules on the University centers bonding projects? Is it even possible?

Amounts to be bonded are set by DOB http://publications.budget.ny.gov/budgetFP/2012-13CapPlan.pdf

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW...where would our Indoor Tennis team practice and play; rentals?!

I am almost certain that the team does not practice in The Bubble now. I have seen many of the players at Tri-City in Latham, which is a genuine tennis facility and not the Frankenstein type of tennis facility that The Bubble is.

The Bubble surface is too hard, is bad on your knees, and has poor grip.

The nets are mobile and are not securely locked in place, and getting them to stay at regulation height is difficult (and forget about tension).

There are no nets between the courts to stop ball or player interference.

There are no nets behind the courts to stop ricochets.

The lighting is poor.

Maybe something has changed recently, but I/we only use The Bubble for tennis as a last minute emergency. If I were a D1 player with a scholarship, NO WAY am I practicing in there.

It looks like some Giants players are also blaming back problems on the beds at Albany (with mattresses provided by the Giants.)

Albany Beds

Yeah...I don't think they're coming back.

Giving players something to complain about builds unity.....seriously. Anything in common is good.

I highly doubt the Giants are going to make any decisions based on bed size.

Btw, the comments to that story are funny. NSFW.

Edited by danefan

It looks like some Giants players are also blaming back problems on the beds at Albany (with mattresses provided by the Giants.)

Albany Beds

Giving players something to complain about builds unity.....seriously. Anything in common is good.

Sorry, my post had a cryptic reference to one of my all-time favorite GIFs. It was tongue-in-cheek:

never-coming-back4.jpg

Albany Beds

Sorry, my post had a cryptic reference to one of my all-time favorite GIFs. It was tongue-in-cheek:

never-coming-back4.jpg

Haha. That's great!

BTW...where would our Indoor Tennis team practice and play; rentals?!

I am almost certain that the team does not practice in The Bubble now. I have seen many of the players at Tri-City in Latham, which is a genuine tennis facility and not the Frankenstein type of tennis facility that The Bubble is.

The Bubble surface is too hard, is bad on your knees, and has poor grip.

The nets are mobile and are not securely locked in place, and getting them to stay at regulation height is difficult (and forget about tension).

There are no nets between the courts to stop ball or player interference.

There are no nets behind the courts to stop ricochets.

The lighting is poor.

Maybe something has changed recently, but I/we only use The Bubble for tennis as a last minute emergency. If I were a D1 player with a scholarship, NO WAY am I practicing in there.

I've attended some matches in the bubble, so if they're not using the bubble, it must be a newer (in the last year or so) development.

I've attended some matches in the bubble, so if they're not using the bubble, it must be a newer (in the last year or so) development.

Yikes! Really? I might have to attend a match this year, because that I did not think that the setup would reach D1 standards. It looks like I have another team to follow.

Don't expect support from the T-U for an indoor facility:

"It was bittersweet to see the New York Giants wrap up training camp at the University at Albany last week — especially with all the speculation that they won’t be back next summer.

Coach Tom Coughlin, it seems, can’t stand it when practice is rained out. The team has a regulation-size indoor facility at The Meadowlands, but not here. Bad weather in Albany sends practice into the much smaller SEFCU basketball arena. Giants fever aside, though, there should be no question of taxpayers building an indoor facility at UAlbany.

A parting thought, then: Why not an occasional workout that competes with the elements? They don’t move actual NFL games inside due to bad weather — do they, Coach?"

http://blog.timesunion.com/opinion/long-story-short-8/21641/

Don't expect support from the T-U for an indoor facility:

"It was bittersweet to see the New York Giants wrap up training camp at the University at Albany last week — especially with all the speculation that they won’t be back next summer.

Coach Tom Coughlin, it seems, can’t stand it when practice is rained out. The team has a regulation-size indoor facility at The Meadowlands, but not here. Bad weather in Albany sends practice into the much smaller SEFCU basketball arena. Giants fever aside, though, there should be no question of taxpayers building an indoor facility at UAlbany.

A parting thought, then: Why not an occasional workout that competes with the elements? They don’t move actual NFL games inside due to bad weather — do they, Coach?"

http://blog.timesunion.com/opinion/long-story-short-8/21641/

Who needs enemies with friends like this?

The TU has been against its home town SUNY Center for too long. I wonder if the Daily News would say the same thing about Stony Brook? Answer, 'No' they would not.

If the Giants do leave, I hope Coach Tom Coughlin publicaly calls the Times Union and their opposition out specifically as the main factor for leaving.

If he did, would the T-U report it?

I haven't seen them report that Union College was the #5 party school this year (Newsweek) (the Gazette did)

Edited by UAalum72

I'd like to add a few thoughts:

1. Any facility built needs to have a student recreation and community participation aspect built in or it is DOA.

That being said:

2. "Field" sports need their own turf practice facility without a track (which makes it expensive) but perhaps incorporating some student recreational facilities - climbing wall, fitness room, multipurpose rooms for yoga, martial arts, dance type stuff.

3. An indoor track / Tennis facility (see BU) seperately, also with student recreation facilities. A quality indoor track has been shown (by me) to be revenue neutral and perhaps even positive. Every high school team in 100 mile radius would be there every weekend and some weekdays from November - March and top prep student-athletes from NYC area and Boston would visit us often. Not a bad deal.

4. Combine these into a multi level complex (necessary for our cramped campus I think) and you have world class, professionally purposed facilities the envy of all.

Edited by jalidanefan

I'd like to add a few thoughts:

1. Any facility built needs to have a student recreation and community participation aspect built in or it is DOA.

That being said:

2. "Field" sports need their own turf practice facility without a track (which makes it expensive) but perhaps incorporating some student recreational facilities - climbing wall, fitness room, multipurpose rooms for yoga, martial arts, dance type stuff.

3. An indoor track / Tennis facility (see BU) seperately, also with student recreation facilities. A quality indoor track has been shown (by me) to be revenue neutral and perhaps even positive. Every high school team in 100 mile radius would be there every weekend and some weekdays from November - March and top prep student-athletes from NYC area and Boston would visit us often. Not a bad deal.

4. Combine these into a multi level complex (necessary for our cramped campus I think) and you have world class, professionally purposed facilities the envy of all.

Can't agree more.

New York State in general needs a publicly owned indoor track and field facility.

Something like Gillis Field House at West Point, but with balcony seating would be constantly utilized.

http://www.goarmysports.com/facilities/gillis-field-house.html