UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

TU Article - President Jones and Athletics

GreatDanes06

It is great to see a President that gets it.

Pretty much all of our recent Presidents have gotten it (except Hitchcock, IMO). The problem has been none of them except Philip actually executed (for one reason or another).

Hopefully Jones executes!

OK, though Richmond moved out of 20,000-seat City Stadium two years ago for a new 8,700-seat on-campus field - you know, what we're building. Or they could point to James Madison, but that might be overreaching right now. But I like the attitude.

Pres. Jones also was quoted in a story (not yet online) saying we will formalize the collaboration between UA and the Albany Institute of History & Art (internships for our students at the museum down there, etc.)

ps. I gotta type faster.

Edited by UAalum72

I love President Jones.

That said, I'm a business man, I'm results driven. Can he deliver? Albany trails SBU in facilities investments. Can he bring home the bacon and close the gap between us and SBU?

SBU received $22M for the stadium more than a decade ago. In today's dollars that's close to $30M. They have $5 in the budget for expansion. That puts UA -$15M short on their stadium. SBU is opening a basketball palace at $20M+

What's in this year's budget?

Edited by SoCal_Dane

I love President Jones.

That said, I'm a business man I'm results driven. Can he deliver? Albany trails SBU in facilities investments. Can he bring home the bacon and close the gap between us and SBU?

SBU received $22M for the stadium more than a decade ago. In today's dollars that's close to $30M. The have $5 in the budget for expansion. That puts UA -$15M short on their stadium. SBU is opening a basketball palace at $20M+

What's in this year's budget?

I like him a lot and I know there hasn't been enough time to really show but I hope he delivers actual results.

As for the budget, I've been looking on-line and can't seem to find anything related to the 200+ mil we asked.

I love passion but I love results more. President Philip was the first president ever to deliver on a football stadium no matter how modest. I've learned how odd New York politics really is. It's all about 3 men in a room. We need a Sen LaValle. The fact is passion without political connections will get you little. I hope he is politically astutue. I think he is political based on is UA legislative delegation, which is critical.

My hope is that he

1) Work the politicians. SBU has really brought home the bacon with LaValle. The state is our largest source of investment.

2) Work the donors (all donors). Why not try sell a brick? Why not reach out more? Some universities have even been successful with student approved higher student fees if it meant FBS.

3) Work the conferences. I hope he's talking to the MAC, CAA and A-10. Hopefully he's talking to SBU about a package deal for one of these conferences. Just keep your name out there.

I'm setting the bar for a superstar president. Here's my bar. 10 years from now. Stadium is at 20,000. We're in the MAC. Aggressive but doable. I think SBU can make that goal and I'm hoping we can too.

Edited by SoCal_Dane

Stony Brook's $21M basketball arena renovation. That's more than our stadium and stadiums are more expensive.

http://www.goseawolv.../052112aab.html

Yeah, I've seen that quite a few times before... curious if there are photos of the renovation or not

The arena web page has a link to the photo gallery Edited by UAalum72

I'm a big fan of Dr. Jones. Has really impressed me so far.

So_Cal....also need to factor in our general lack of solid leadership over the past decade. We've played President musical chairs for awhile. That situation obviously didnt help. Looks like we have someone in place that can and wants to deliver. See the recent $300MM request for building upgrades.

I'm a big fan of Dr. Jones. Has really impressed me so far.

So_Cal....also need to factor in our general lack of solid leadership over the past decade. We've played President musical chairs for awhile. That situation obviously didnt help. Looks like we have someone in place that can and wants to deliver. See the recent $300MM request for building upgrades.

Definitely one of the biggest reason we're so far behind SBU.

But Hitchcock is also a huge reason. We got the same amount of money SBU did I'm the early 2000s. She decided it was better spent on the sculpture studio than on stadium. We'd be in a much different position than we are right now had that not happened. Hey, but at least we're pumping out world renowned sculptures....;)