UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Portland, Maine- Suggestions

Dane96

So my trip abroad didn't work out as planned and I am planning a Columbus Day weekend getaway with my better half...and the DOGS (labs).

My initial thought is driving up to NH to Lincoln (Friday) and do the Kancamagus Highway. This would be Saturday morning. From the end in N. Conway, I believe Portland is about 60 miles away.

I have never been to Portland and have heard great things about the town, and the internet yields too much information in my opinion. Figured board members would be a better sounding board for me.

My questions:

1. Anyone know of a good dog friendly B&B, Hotel, Inn, etc.

2. Restaurant and/or cafe recommendations (I have heard Street and Co)

3. Things to do: streets to walk down, must sees, etc.

4. I am also open to SKIPPING the Kancamagus completely and basing myself in Portland from Friday-Monday. If I did this...anyone know of any good hiking trails/parks for us to take the dogs for the day on Saturday and part of the day on Sunday.

and finally...

5) The better half wants to hit the outlets on Monday-- I presume Kittery is the stop? (I kind of want Flo's Hotdogs anyway...mmmm).

Oh...and any night time activities (bars, clubs, entertainment) suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

2. Gritty McDuffs!

4. If on the Kancamagus Highway, hit Chocorua Mountain...shorter hike, and dog friendly. Start of it is at the Champney Falls trailhead. Of course if you are going to Portland drive the extra three hours (tough with dogs?), stay in Bar Harbor, and hike Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park...one of the best "sunrise hikes" in America.

5. Kittery Outlets are cool. Hit the Kittery Trading Post for your Acadia hiking gear!

I am an outdoors guy so I will leave the B&B question to others.

DanePound is likely to have some hiking opinions, also.

Edited by haggyland

Thanks Haggy. And normally I am a camper...but the little lady isn't so gung ho as I am about sleeping in the woods. Sigh.

Hmmmmm....I've always wanted to go to Acadia. Any suggestions if I decide to do that trip? I would think the weather is going to be decent that weekend (no snow, etc).

Yup, if you want to hike, and not bust out the Presidential Range, either hit Chocorua or hammer it out all the way to Acadia.

Bar Harbor is one of my favorite towns in the Northeast, but I am a junkie for towns that border national parks...The Thirsty Whale is a fun place, but more formal places are around.

On the way back to Beantown hit Gritty McDuff's for the homebrew and fish and chips; then Kittery for some shopping...voila, vacation planned!

Of course Smuttynose Brewery in Portsmouth, NH, is always fun for a tour, also!

Edited by haggyland

Shipyard Brew Pub makers of Shipyard beer in Eliot, Maine was good. http://www.shipyardbrewpub.com/

Shipyard is a nice brew pub, but one of the better tasting rooms I went to was at the Red Hook Brewery, also in Portsmouth, NH. Of course, the last time I was there was before Budweiser bought an interest in the company, so maybe things have changed.

Heck with it: Portsmouth is too close to Beantown...Acadia or bust!

ok -- Portland is fantastic. We have a summer place in Cape Porpoise (about 40 min south) and love getting to Portland.We have more fun there than going out in Boston where we live during the year. Fore Street is a great restaurant - but there are really a bunch clustered, and the city is definitely worth walking around. There's a major road on the water, and if you walk away from the water by a block or two you will find some pretty interesting spots. We also like Duck Fat for lunch (very casual but good and somewhat unique).Acadia is great, but it's a haul and will be a fair bit colder than southern Maine.